zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Am I correct in assuming that if a 2.13 ghz core 2 overclocked to 2.4 ghz will be about 6% slower than a e6600 2.4 stock core 2 since the catch is only 2x1 meg and on the e6600 its 2x2 meg? Thats what I gleened from a battlefield 2142 preview.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
It would really depend on the program, some programs are cache-independant and will barely notice it, some programs are heavily cache-dependant and will see big drops. But for the most part you are right it will probably be a single digit percent decrease, and given the speed of the C2D's that's really not worth worrying about.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I have yet to see some benchmarks on that as it also relates to how the architecture of Core functions, whether it really needs those extra cache or not under which circumstance(s).

Then you also have to remember a E6400 @300x8 vs. E6600(266x9), the higher FSB would help issues with cache.
Remember, the only reason to have a big cache is because the communication path between the NB and CPU isn't fast enough and so data gets stored on cache instead. You speed FSB up and that reduced delay means the need for less cache.
Anandtech farted around with this. Check the charts.

The 4MB L2 cache can increase performance by as much as 10% in some situations. Such a performance improvement is definitely tangible, and as applications grow larger in their working data sets then the advantage of a larger cache will only become more visible.

If you're the type to upgrade often, then the extra cache is not worth it as you're not getting enough of a present day increase in performance to justify the added cost. However, if this processor will be the basis for your system for the next several years, we'd strongly recommend picking a 4MB flavor of Core 2.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=4

zoridon

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
thanks I guess for christmas this year I'll get the E6600 with 4mb of cache, I'll post closer to xmas what motherboard recommendation in the $90 to $120 dollar range not interested in sli