Sign in with
Your question

Harddisk Read-Only

Last response: in Storage
September 12, 2006 7:27:17 PM

Hello!

I have a strange Problem:
After my Windows crashed with a blue screen, while downloading some stuff, I cannot write to my harddisk any more. Reading is not a Problem at all.
It is the original HDD of my Acer Travelmate 8101, a 80Gb 4200upm Hitachi Travelstar.
As a friend thougth it could be that the HDD-password was set by accident, I tried all Programs I could find in the Internet to remove it or to clear the hole disk.
But mhd3 stops with an unknown error, and
in ATAPWD the erase command is "rejekted".

By the Way, Hitachi Drive Test does not show any error. The only thing I noticed is that the Write Cache is disabled...
(Password "Not Set", Security Mode "Frozen")

So now I wonder, if this could be due to the Password-Protection at all, or if it is more likely an defect of the elektronics of the HDD?

Any Help would be Great.

Regards
Wildi

More about : harddisk read

September 12, 2006 8:05:46 PM

I find it hard to believe the disk isn't being written to if you are able to boot the OS, meaning, the swap file is probably writing to the disk.

What have you tried to write to the disk? Have you checked the security settings?
September 12, 2006 8:12:49 PM

You might have to logon as the administrator and take ownership of all of the files and folders on the hard drive.

Also, you could try running chkdsk /f from the command prompt to allow Windows to repair damage to the file system. You'll have to agree to run the scan after a reboot.
Related resources
September 12, 2006 8:28:55 PM

Hello,

Quote:
I find it hard to believe the disk isn't being written to if you are able to boot the OS, meaning, the swap file is probably writing to the disk.

What have you tried to write to the disk? Have you checked the security settings?

Of course, that would sound strange. But it isn't possible to boot from this HDD any more, as I got messages, that the os could not write some files to the disk, and the system restarts, even before you get the possibility to log in.
I have testet the HDD with an adapter in my normal computer. There I have tried to format the disk and everything else, without success.
DFT of course I testet with the available boot-cd.
So it is definitively Read-Only... :cry: 

Any Idea? Does any one have expirience with the HDD-Password?

Wildi
September 12, 2006 8:33:37 PM

Have you checked it from dos? Boot to dos or a dos/ntfs utility and see if you can delete the partition and recreate it, then reformat it.
September 12, 2006 8:41:08 PM

A password secured hard drive will be completely non-reposive without the correct password. You cannot write to any of the sectors and when reading from the drive it appears to contain all zero's. All you would see is unpartitioned space.

I would do definately check the partitions and files system for errors.

I would also restore your OS from your latest backup if the problem persists.
September 12, 2006 8:51:31 PM

Hello,

Quote:
Have you checked it from dos? Boot to dos or a dos/ntfs utility and see if you can delete the partition and recreate it, then reformat it.

I tried it with a linux-live CD, and a Dos-CD, but without any difference. no partition, format write and delete possible...

Quote:
A password secured hard drive will be completely non-reposive without the correct password. You cannot write to any of the sectors and when reading from the drive it appears to contain all zero's. All you would see is unpartitioned space.

I would do definately check the partitions and files system for errors.

I would also restore your OS from your latest backup if the problem persists.

That was what I was wondering. So it looks like something is broken on the Hard Disk. Seems like all hope is lost...

Regards

Wildi
!