Strange temp readings

tennen

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
HI.

I have an 6800GT AGP... I have started to get some strange temps readings lately... It normaly idles at 54C and then suddenly within 1sec it is displaying 124C.... for about 1-2 min... then down to 31C for a little while and then 67C and now 51C......

Should I worry that my card is giving up or is it just the temp probe that is giving up?

Any one else having this problem??

It doesnt matter wheter I have it stock speed or overclocked.... And I can't see any artifacts in games..

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
What are you using to measure those temps? If the fan sounding funny?

I would assume weird readings, which are false. Try playing around with fan speeds to see if you can get a constant temp.

tennen

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
I use rivatuner to get the readings. changing fanspeed doesnt make a difference...

And the fan is spinning cause I can hear the difference when turning the speed up or down...

But the strange thing is that the readings are changing constantly.... It used to give me steady readings before... About a month ago it started to wary sometimes up to 124C and back to 54C.... Today it started to wary more... like up to 124C.. down to 31C up 67C down to 51C right now it says 86C.....

should I start thinking of getting a new card??

tennen

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
I see now that nvidias own program is allso reporting strange temps.. I restarted the pc and got a message that nvida controlpanel got some strange temp readings and therefore make my gpu perform less... I allso confirmed this by running the source stress test... the score was about the half of what I would get else......

But the ambient temp is the same as before so I guess it is just the readings that are wrong. I doubt the card would work at 256C .....

But what can I do so I get the performance back?

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
HI.

I have an 6800GT AGP... I have started to get some strange temps readings lately... It normaly idles at 54C and then suddenly within 1sec it is displaying 124C.... for about 1-2 min... then down to 31C for a little while and then 67C and now 51C......

Should I worry that my card is giving up or is it just the temp probe that is giving up?

Any one else having this problem??

It doesnt matter wheter I have it stock speed or overclocked.... And I can't see any artifacts in games..

I would keep a close eye on the card. Personally myself if i saw these temps, what i would do is crack open the side panel, wait for it to hit 128 again, and see if you feel a heat difference between that, and 54C. If you dont, programs junk, if you do, get concerned buddy.

cleeve

Illustrious
Probably the temperature sensor is going nuts.

Could be dying, too. My friend's AthlonXP was showing 100 degree + temps and we thought it was the sensor... a little while later, it died...

tennen

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
For everybody interested I think I solved the problem....

My best guess so far is that the temp-sensor is ok and this wierd thing is caused by the northbridge is overheating....

How I figured it out:

Temp start to show wierd numbers.... jumping up and down...

this was occuring more and more until the temp sat at 256C but still the gpu heatsink wasnt warm to the touch...

In CS:source I suddenly (after about 15min of playing) started go get some big lag.... Thought it was the server but no one else had this lag....

In windows everything still lagged after exiting the game. like when moving the mouse it skipped every 1-2 sec like when you have installed a new gpu-driver over another and it didnt work very good....

last: my cpu utilized 7-8% all the time....

first I thought it was virus. noted that rundll32.exe was utilizing my cpu. Googled it and found many other that had the same problem....
After virus scanning and other scannings (found nothing) I deleted that file... This I shouldnt have done... This file is critical for the OS and other programs...

After many hours of failing to find the cause I had to reinstall winxp...

This is when I started to figure out it was a heat problem... cause now my comp. had been working for many hours with a fresh install of xp and the problem still where there....

Turned the comp. off for a few min. and then it worked fine again... suddenly the problem came back..

So I just tested to put every fan on max and it still seems to be fine.....

So the temp report from the gpu probably passes thru the northbridge and when the NB is overheating the temp is reported wrong and cpu utilization is allso abnormal...

Just letting you know incase you have the same problem sometime...

Any other thoughts about this except the long post=) ?

TRENDING THREADS