Sign in with
Your question

Help from owners of P5B or DS3 for 775

Last response: in Overclocking
September 12, 2006 8:03:34 PM

I purchased an ECS P965T-A and as I've said before, I'm completely dissapointed. I would like to upgrade as soon as possible to either the Asus P5B (non-deluxe) or the Gigabyte DS3... Anyone here own either of these boards with a Conroe in it? I own a E6300 and Geil DDR2-800 (2x512) and everything works on the ECS, but there are pretty much NO options in bios. My mem's running at 667 and I believe it to be causing my system to be a little unstable. I tried to clock it down to 533, but there are NO opitions in bios AT ALL, despite the manual showing some. (even with the latest bios) I've read a lot of reviews online of the 965 motherboards, but I want REAL opinions from people who actually own these two boards... I would really appreciate it!! THANKS!!

More about : owners p5b ds3 775

September 12, 2006 10:02:19 PM

i would also like to know. I am building my first computer and am having trouble deciding between these same 2 MOBOS (p5b and ds3)
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
September 12, 2006 10:41:26 PM

I have the P5B-Deluxe, for what it's worth to you I really love it. Best motherboard I've ever had. I don't know about the vanilla P5B though.

Have you considered the Abit AB9 Pro? It's priced about the same as the P5B and DS3, but it has the ICH8R chipset like the P5B-Deluxe.
Related resources
September 13, 2006 1:46:23 AM

I have a very similar setup -

GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 (not the DS3)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
GeIL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
3D Fuzion Geforce 6600 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card
LOGISYS Computer ATX12V 550Watts Power Supply
Rosewill Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I opted for the S3 and so far have not been disappointed. I'm doing a moderate overclock to 2.8Ghz. I'm using all stock voltages, and actually took the vcore down to 1.300. Been running Orthos with no errors. I did bump up the DIMM voltages to +.3V My temps using CoreTemp are 52C under full load. The Freezer 7 Pro is a great HSF, but very big! Very happy with the board and setup. The Geil memory runs good, but I did have to manually set it to 4-4-4-12. I'm not a gamer, but do video editing and graphics design. Great performance. I got the S3 for $116 from newegg. I think the DS3 is $149. Only difference is the DS3 has solid capacitors, and is supposed to last 5+ yrs, compared to 3+ yrs.

I'm happy I got a full 1Ghz jump in performance, and still running very acceptable temps. I may go for 3Ghz just for fun here pretty soon. :o )

Josh
September 13, 2006 1:52:12 AM

Thanks for the reply! I haven't considered the Abit, bcuz I've never owned one. And, this will sound dumb, but it only has 14 reviews on Newegg whereas the P5B and DS3 have 92 and 43 respectively. I don't base my purchases on Newegg reviews, but i like to know what people say that have owned or are currently using these products. I've read many reviews and comparisions online and it seems that the P5B and DS3 are very good overlockers, and I plan on oc'ing. Does anyone know how Abit's do when it comes to overclocking Conroe? I know some of their boards in the past were awesome overclockers, but this one? And, what's the difference between ICH8 and ICH8R? Besides the R at the end? Can anyone give opinions on DS3/P5B/AbitPro bios's? Which one is best in their honest opion? Thanks!!
September 13, 2006 1:57:05 AM

WOW!! Sounds promising!! Do you have the Geil ram with the orange heatsinks? That's the kind I have, and I love to hear that they work well with A board!! So the ONLY differnce between the S3 and the D3 is the solid-state caps? Do many boards have solid-state caps? I mean, if all of the mobo's I've ever owned didn't have them, the it doesn't seem too big of a deal to me! And it'll save some $$... How's the bios on the S3 when it comes shipped? Is it Conroe ready? Did you use the Geil ram to first boot it up, or did you have to use some cheap stuff first? I really appreciate the reply!! Let me know!! Sorry for all the ?'s, I really want to buy soon and TOSS this ECS!! Thanks!!
September 13, 2006 12:27:46 PM

Yeah, Geil with the Orange heatsinks. Worked right out of the box. But it was set to 5-5-5-12 in the Bios automatically. You can manualy set them to 4-4-4-12, but I bumped up the Dimm voltage +.3 as I stated. Maybe you could run at stock voltage(1.8V), but the RAM is spec to 2.1V, so it's within spec of the ram. But had no booting problems, no need for old RAM or anything.

I've upgrade the board to F4 Bios, but I didn't have any problem with F3 that it shipped with stock.

Most motherboards don't have solid capacitors, well most averagely priced MBs don't. The high-end stuff does, or is moving to solid caps. I've had MBs last 5+ years with normal caps. I figure I'll upgrade the MB in the next 3-5yrs for a faster processor anyway. It's a great value, and if you get a halfway decent HSF, and some good fans in your case, you'll be very pleased with the OC performance.

The only voltage that I bumped was for the DIMMs to bring them to 2.1V which is there specs to get them to 4-4-4-12 timming. I also disabled all the stuff mentioned in the C2D OC guide by Wuzy.

You can get the exact same performance out of the S3 as the DS3, but save $30+. That $30.00 bought me the Arctic 7 Freezer Pro. So I'm very happy.
September 13, 2006 2:28:48 PM

Now I'm all stoked!! To hell with this ECS!! I'm buying a DS3!! Only because it has Gigabyte Sata2 controller which enables a normal IDE interface... right? Or does the S3 have the same? It just seems like all of the 965 chipsets do not support IDE. Like my ECS, it recognizes my Sony DVDRW as an SCSI device!? It still works normally, but that's not right. Seriously, thanks for helping me out!!
September 13, 2006 2:59:35 PM

The only difference between the S3 and DS3 is price and solid capacitors.
Has the same SATA controller. Both boards use JMicron JMB363 as an IDE and SATA controller. The board does have an IDE connector, supporting connecting 2 IDE devices. Both support RAID 0,1 and JBOD.

The board supports 6 SATA devices, 4 using ICH8 and 2 using JMB363.

I'm still running my old HD and DVD-RW (IDE) on this connector. I hope to get a SATA HD soon. This should help my performace a bit.
September 13, 2006 3:01:01 PM

Quote:
Now I'm all stoked!! To hell with this ECS!! I'm buying a DS3!! Only because it has Gigabyte Sata2 controller which enables a normal IDE interface... right? Or does the S3 have the same? It just seems like all of the 965 chipsets do not support IDE. Like my ECS, it recognizes my Sony DVDRW as an SCSI device!? It still works normally, but that's not right. Seriously, thanks for helping me out!!

My P5B Mobo supports the IDE interface. I currently have two SATA-3 drives in them with a 3rd drive which is a 200GB Western Digital 133-IDE drive.
It works. Now I have to RMA this very same 3wk old P5B board back to Newegg. The built-in Gigabit NIC port keeps failing & the Chassis fan two connection refuses to notice any fans on it.
September 13, 2006 3:27:49 PM

RMA's are sooo annoying!!! I hate all the time and effort "wasted." Sorry to hear that. I guess maybe since you guys have had no problems using the ide on the JMicron... maybe it's just my ECS POS!? I just printed a copy of Wusy's OC Guide and I'm going to spring for the S3 and use the extra cash for an aftermarket cpu cooler like you said. What are your temps using that Arctic Cooling hsf? Again, thanks for all your help in getting me on the right track! I'll never go "budget" again! ...unless... my budget... doesn't... aw man! Why can't we all be rich and buy all the components we want!? Once I get this mobo, this will be my "highest-end" computer I've built. Feels good. Josh, what are your 3DMark06/SuperPi scores?
September 13, 2006 3:42:10 PM

My temps are 45C-46C idle and 52C under full load using CoreTemp.

Super Pi 1M - 20.70, or 20.07. Don't remember exactly. I think was my latest @2.8ghz, 400Mhz FSB. Is that good? Compared to AMD times it blows them out of the water, not sure about other E6300@2.8Ghz.
I haven't done any 3DMark06 scores.

I have 3 90mm case fans. One in the front sucking in cool air, one on the side blowing in cool air right on the HSF and one on the back blowing out.

The Power supply is a two fan power supply also.
September 13, 2006 4:02:30 PM

Sounds like a nice setup you got there!! I've run my system through SuperPi once and I got a 29 point-somthing @ stock speeds. (my p4 was 49 seconds) I'll post here once I've got my S3 and done some overclocking!! I've run 3Dmark06 and got a 3327. (don't remember the other scores cpu/etc) BLOWS my old pc out of the water!! It ran a 327 in 3DMark06!? I have one 60mm fan in front, one 120mm fan in back, and my psu only has on fan pulling out back. In bios my temps are around 33C. (under NO load) ECS provides no monitoring software and MBM doesn't support my board. Can CoreTemp be used by any mobo? Thanks!
September 13, 2006 4:23:31 PM

When I get home I'll run Super Pi 1M again, and 3DMark06.

Yeah my temps using SpeedFan or the Motherboard software (which get them from the MB) at 8-10C lower than CoreTemp reports. But CoreTemp is supposed to be getting them from the processor diode itself and not the MB diode. Some people think CoreTemps high/inacurrate, but I'm using it as my mark.

CoreTemp should work on all 965P boards i beleive.
September 13, 2006 5:58:37 PM

Quote:

I bought a plextor sata dvd drive as i hate those big IDE ribbons. I already have a ribbon for floppy and one for my audigy 2 zs audio front panel. Case wiring is made much simpler/tidy.

Most 965 chipsets have a pata port, which allows you to connect up to two devices.

The DS3 rocks, i'm getting 3.4ghz stable o/c. Although i do have to increase vcore to get that high.
September 13, 2006 6:40:42 PM

OH!! I was looking into getting a SATA DVD-RW drive but I have heard nothing about them!? How well does it work? Is it pretty much "plug and play?" Any problems? I know they are expensive, so if performance isn't a HUGE difference, then I'd rather just stick with IDE. (i could buy 3 or 4 ide burners for the $) I just don't like how Intel is trying to get rid of IDE on the 965 chipset by making in soley a part of the JMicron raid. Thanks!

PS: What HSF are you using for your Conroe? What are your temps?
September 13, 2006 6:56:28 PM

Quote:
OH!! I was looking into getting a SATA DVD-RW drive but I have heard nothing about them!? How well does it work? Is it pretty much "plug and play?" Any problems? I know they are expensive, so if performance isn't a HUGE difference, then I'd rather just stick with IDE. (i could buy 3 or 4 ide burners for the $) I just don't like how Intel is trying to get rid of IDE on the 965 chipset by making in soley a part of the JMicron raid. Thanks!

PS: What HSF are you using for your Conroe? What are your temps?

They aren't that expensive, but the extra $ is worth it so i can do away with the IDE ribbon :) 

Peformance is pretty much the same as ide. It just means you can run all your major drives through the ICH8 controller. Keeps things nice and tidy :D 

I actually bought the retail version of the Plextor PX-755SA Serial ATA. So i payed a bit extra for software etc. In truth i couldn't find a OEM version, but i expect it would be significantly cheaper.

I'm using Zalman 9500-AT as my hsf, and arctic silver 5 thermal paste. Temps are about 23-26 idle and 26-30 under load, but that's without o/c.
September 13, 2006 6:56:43 PM

Quote:
I purchased an ECS P965T-A and as I've said before, I'm completely dissapointed. I would like to upgrade as soon as possible to either the Asus P5B (non-deluxe) or the Gigabyte DS3... Anyone here own either of these boards with a Conroe in it? I own a E6300 and Geil DDR2-800 (2x512) and everything works on the ECS, but there are pretty much NO options in bios. My mem's running at 667 and I believe it to be causing my system to be a little unstable. I tried to clock it down to 533, but there are NO opitions in bios AT ALL, despite the manual showing some. (even with the latest bios) I've read a lot of reviews online of the 965 motherboards, but I want REAL opinions from people who actually own these two boards... I would really appreciate it!! THANKS!!

I love my DS3 - best overclocking board that I have ever owned. If you buy one, press Ctrl+F1 when you're in the BIOS to enable all kinds of overclocking options.

The ICH8 without the "R" does not support Intel Matrix RAID. This is actually a bummer because Matrix RAID is fantastic. You can have both a stripe set AND a mirror using just two drives. And it's bloody fast. The DS3 uses a JMicron SATA RAID controller. I have had some Windows XP installation issues with the RAID controller, but discovered a workaround for the time being. The controller works fine otherwise. There is an IDE port on the board for your optical drives.

I haven't bought a Core 2 Duo yet - I'm waiting for prices to drop a little more. My D 915 is rock steady on this board and I'm not pushing it very hard. As you have no doubt discovered, many people have had a great experience with this board and the C2D processor.
September 13, 2006 8:45:41 PM

The DS3 is a nice board. Was able to get past 400 mhz to 470 mhz FSB, 7 multiplier, with the F6b beta BIOS. Couldn't do this before. My 800 mhz ram pushing 940 (hitting max I think), but motherboard might go more. It appears Gigabyte is working hard on the BIOS updates.

I'm at 4-4-4-12 ram, 3.29ghz, 3.456 volts. I use Intel's TAT, which will tell core diode temps...had this E6400 at 80c at one time (trying to reach 420+ FSB). The CPU thermal protection starts kicking in at about this temp. Now at about 66c on load.

Only one PIDE though. And I wish it had a memory divider.
September 14, 2006 1:41:49 AM

Now I'm at another crossroads... the S3 or DS3... In the S3 can you hit CTRL+F1 and get the same overclocking options, or is this a DS3 only thing? IF that's the case, I'll order a DS3... although it does seem like the overclockability is the same with the S3, options or not... dang!! I'm not looking to get over 3Ghz or anything... although if it does easily and stable, why not, huh? S3, DS3.... S3, DS3... S3, DS3...

PS>>> Can anyone tell me if the onboard sound of either the S3 or DS3 is better or worse than my old Audigy2 ZS PCI card? THANKS!!
September 14, 2006 1:05:45 PM

Quote:

There is a memory divider - press Ctrl+F1 in the BIOS to enable all of the options. I don't remember exactly what the section is called (it's 2/3 of the way down on the left hand side) but you can set your memory parameters from there.
September 14, 2006 3:54:20 PM

Quote:
Now I'm at another crossroads... the S3 or DS3... In the S3 can you hit CTRL+F1 and get the same overclocking options, or is this a DS3 only thing? IF that's the case, I'll order a DS3... although it does seem like the overclockability is the same with the S3, options or not... dang!! I'm not looking to get over 3Ghz or anything... although if it does easily and stable, why not, huh? S3, DS3.... S3, DS3... S3, DS3...

PS>>> Can anyone tell me if the onboard sound of either the S3 or DS3 is better or worse than my old Audigy2 ZS PCI card? THANKS!!

What about DS6??? considered that? Newegg has it on sale for $219.
September 14, 2006 4:02:34 PM

The DQ6 is a great board, but I think we are talking <$150 boards.

If I had the extra cash I would of got the DQ6 because of the onboard FW, but I already had an old FW card I just poped in the S3.

The NB and SB cooling heat pipes are pretty cool, and eSata, and improved onboard sound too. But not worth extra $100 over S3 to me, a bargain builder. :o )

Josh
September 14, 2006 4:08:24 PM

Quote:
The DQ6 is a great board, but I think we are talking <$150 boards.

If I had the extra cash I would of got the DQ6 because of the onboard FW, but I already had an old FW card I just poped in the S3.

The NB and SB cooling heat pipes are pretty cool, and eSata, and improved onboard sound too. But not worth extra $100 over S3 to me, a bargain builder. :o )

Josh

The reason I ask is cuz I've had it with my ASUS P5B, I've got an RMA to send this slowly, but surely dying board (1st the Chassis-2 fan connection, the the 1Giga-NIC is intermittent, the AI software is inaccurate, then suspend mode constantly fails, need i go on?) back to Newegg.
So I was looking for a better alternative & being that I already paid $160 upfront for my board on my credit card a few wks back, it would feel to me like the board would only cost me another $60 beans since the board is already fully paid for & Newegg is kind enough to overlook their policy & refund me all of my funds without any restocking fee penalties.
September 14, 2006 4:11:41 PM

yeah.. I agree if you already spent $160, $60 more seems like cake at that point. Funny how we justify things :o )

I think you'd have a real winner with the DQ6.
September 14, 2006 4:18:05 PM

Quote:
yeah.. I agree if you already spent $160, $60 more seems like cake at that point. Funny how we justify things :o )

I think you'd have a real winner with the DQ6.

This is how I always end up with anything expensive like my Motorcycle.

I start @ the midrange level when upgrading anything, I see that I'm not happy with it (whatever it may be), return it within the sellers return policy time limit, pay the difference to upgrade, (which they never seem to mind when there is MORE CASH @ the end of the tunnel), try the new rig out & then realize that I'm still not happy.

PS: So far I'm not happy with this rig I just built. Maybe I shoulda gone E6800, or maybe I should wait for the INTEL/CYBERDYNE T9000 series, "I'LL BE BOCK".
September 14, 2006 4:56:47 PM

Hey, if I was in your situation I'd do the same! Unfortunately for me I have a tight budget right now and will most likely spring for the S3. Believe me, if I had the cash I'd buy a $200+ board. I love high-end, good quality equipment! What system did you put together? Oc'ing? Speaking of good quality... suzuki... what do you ride?
September 14, 2006 5:09:03 PM

Quote:
Hey, if I was in your situation I'd do the same! Unfortunately for me I have a tight budget right now and will most likely spring for the S3. Believe me, if I had the cash I'd buy a $200+ board. I love high-end, good quality equipment! What system did you put together? Oc'ing? Speaking of good quality... suzuki... what do you ride?

It's a bit pointless paying over $150 unless you intend on using SLI/Crossfire. The extra cash is going into an additional PCI-e slot, that's about it. Seems like a waste to me.
September 14, 2006 6:04:00 PM

Quote:

I ride a Suzuki Marauder (It's a custom low rider like a Harley FatBoy without the FAT).
The specs to the system I built are listed below.
So far, since I use Pinnacle Studio 10 a lot, it has cut down on everything by about 50-60% time wise. This is compared to my previous system, which is a P4 Prescott 2.8Ghz Intel overclocked to 3.08Ghz with an ASUS P4S800 Mobo, 2GB Kingston RAM and an ATI AIW 128MB 9600 vid card. The system gets unstable after if I try to over clock it over 3.08Ghz.
It's still a god system for playing DOOM3 & QUAKE4 at 1024x768 with all effects turned on.
September 14, 2006 6:12:06 PM

Sidebar - I also do a lot of video editing, and am just now getting all my programs installed on my new build - mostly Adobe stuff (Premiere, After Effects), and Sony Vegas.

My sysem goes as follows -

GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 (not the DS3)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.8ghz@2.8Ghz
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler
GeIL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
3D Fuzion Geforce 6600 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card
LOGISYS Computer ATX12V 550Watts Power Supply
Rosewill Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I kept my old hard drive which is a PATA drive. I'm debating on whether to upgrade the RAM to 2GB, or get a SATA hard drive. I think right now my PATA 7200RPM 200GB HD is a bottleneck in my system when it comes to video editing and graphics. But the 2GB would help a bunch also.

I'm thinking the memory can wait a bit, and the HD is my best bet.

Anyone have any thoughts on system performace gains PATA vs. SATA related to video encoding, editing, capture?
September 14, 2006 7:01:36 PM

Quote:
Sidebar - I also do a lot of video editing, and am just now getting all my programs installed on my new build - mostly Adobe stuff (Premiere, After Effects), and Sony Vegas.

I'm thinking the memory can wait a bit, and the HD is my best bet.

Anyone have any thoughts on system performace gains PATA vs. SATA related to video encoding, editing, capture?

For me I could use more HD Space. SATA is definelty an improvement for what we're doing.
However, I went with the RAM & WOW what a difference in just loading up STUDIO. It used to take about 1min. Not it's down to about 10 seconds with 2GB RAM on this same new system build. I just had to learn & accept that I had to burn to DVD what projects like my video renders & projects I had laying on my Hard Disk, then blow them away .
September 14, 2006 7:44:48 PM

Wow, that's a hard decision, especially for what you're doing... I'm no expert but I would recommend the ram, bcuz when I upgraded from pata to sata I noticed, but it didn't blow me away... It seemed to make everything run really "crisp." As suzukii said his upgrade in ram made a big difference, I'm sure ram will give you a better "bang for your buck" for now and when you have the $$ the sata hdd will polish things off, you know? This, of course, is just my opinion.
September 15, 2006 6:31:18 AM

Quote:

There is a memory divider - press Ctrl+F1 in the BIOS to enable all of the options. I don't remember exactly what the section is called (it's 2/3 of the way down on the left hand side) but you can set your memory parameters from there.

There's a 'multiplier' but no divider. It's start off at 1:1 (FSB=RAM) and goes up from there. The only way to test the FSB of this board is to get faster ram. Got it at 475mhz FSB (3.325ghz), giving me the minimum ram speed of 950mhz. Might buy a stick of 1066 to see how far the FSB it will go.
September 15, 2006 5:24:26 PM

OK, I'm gonna make a fool out of myself... what's the difference between a "multiplier" and a "memory divider?" Or are they two completely different things? Multiplier meaning for the cpu? What does a memory divider do then? ...And, are the CTRL+F1 options on both the S3 and the DS3? Thanks!
September 22, 2006 11:07:59 PM

Alright, well I have my system together again featuring my new Gigabyte S3 mobo... I've been following Tom's Conroe guide and so far so good. I've easliy gone up to 2.3ghz and I know I can go higher, but my question to you is: my ddr2 (the same geil as yours) is still not running at 800... I manually set them to 4-4-4-12 in bios but in windows (cpuz) shows them at like 338mhz... I'm confused doesn't that mean they're only at 676 or something? I gues could you help walk me through what you did to get your mem to run at 800? I would really appreciate it!
!