Myst Revelation sound display error -- fatal freeze -- help!

Greetings again!

I can't believe it. After I finally getting the Myst IV patch to work
(the first time I downloaded the 40mb patch, it must have been
corrupted somehow; redownloaded it and then it worked...seriously), I
have hit a fatal glitch.

I finally solved the spider chair crystal puzzle, and was allowed to
walk over to that little floating platform where Sirrus' notebook is.
After turning on the power on the platform (moving that lever from left
to right) and manipulating and examining other things on that platform,
I went back to the spider chair. When I click the blue button on my
right, I get a frozen screen and a sound loop. I have to
control-alt-delete to get out

The message I get says:

Sound display error #21
Filename:\myst\dev\common\src\m4\dare_ext\error.cpp

My computer is a recent Dell Dimension series, without anything weird
with its sound card, and no history of any system trouble at all. I
have not had any tech trouble with the 6 or so similar types of
adventure games that I have played on this computer. I have tried
rebooting, and also tried turning off all sound options.

Is this just me? Has anyone else had this trouble? I am going to
email Ubisoft, but I estimate that the probability that they will get
back to me with useful info is certainly p < .05. I have had more tech
trouble with Myst IV than I had with Myst, Riven, and Exile combined!
My wife won't let us quit this game, so PLEASE can someone tell me how
to get past this glitch!
Chuck...stunned, disappointed, and increasingly hostile Chuck
3 answers Last reply
More about myst revelation sound display error fatal freeze help
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    dncmullin@yahoo.com wrote in

    > Is this just me? Has anyone else had this trouble? I am going to
    > email Ubisoft, but I estimate that the probability that they will get
    > back to me with useful info is certainly p < .05. I have had more tech
    > trouble with Myst IV than I had with Myst, Riven, and Exile combined!
    > My wife won't let us quit this game, so PLEASE can someone tell me how
    > to get past this glitch!
    > Chuck...stunned, disappointed, and increasingly hostile Chuck

    I'm having a similar problem - always freezes at a certain spot. I've
    updated the game to 1.02, updated my video drivers, tried the usual things,
    no effect. I have lots of memory, disk space, etc. I sent a message to
    ubisoft support, got a respone that was mostly just a form letter saying I
    should update my video drivers, meaning they hadn't even read my message
    since I'd told them I did that. Completely useless "support". I have the
    previous 3 Mysts, never had any problem with them. This is extremely
    annoying, can't even get through the 2nd world.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Please ignore these tests

    does not include bob reed aaki 0369 bob reed aaki 0369 sean michaelson aaki
    0369 ron michael aaki 0369 bill tisken
    aaki 0369 kim nunn aaki 0369 jack snyder aaki 0369 david uva aaki 0369 jeff
    loeb aaki 0369 jesica nixon aaki 0369 tim hutton aaki 0369 ana
    brown aaki 0369 tim kendall aaki 0369 judy gligg aaki 0369 brian kraft aaki
    0369 tanya
    smith aaki 0369 ernie reeder aaki 0369 tammy byrne aaki 0369 second does not
    include bob reed aaki 0369 sean michaelson aaki 0369 ron michael aaki 0369
    bill tisken aajn
    0348 kim nunn aaki 0369 jack snyder aaki 0369 david uva aaki 0369 jeff loeb
    aaki 0369 jesica nixon aaki 0369 tim hutton aaki 0369 ana brown aaki 0369
    tim kendall aaki 0369 judy gligg aaki 0369 brian kraft aaki 0369 tanya smith
    aaki 0369 ernie reeder aaki 0369 tammy byrne aaki 0369 no longer subscribing
    bob reed aaki 0369 sean michaelson aaki 0369 ron michael aaki 0369 bill
    tisken aaki 0369 kim
    nunn aaki 0369 jack snyder aaki 0369 david uva aaki 0369 jeff loeb aaki 0369
    jesica nixon aaki 0369 tim hutton aaki 0369 ana brown aaki 0369 tim kendall
    aaki 0369 judy gligg aaki 0369 brian kraft aaki 0369 tanya smith aaki 0369
    ernie reeder aaki 0369 tammy byrne aaki 0369 bob reed aaki 0369 sean
    michaelson aaki 0369 ron
    michael aaki 0369 bill tisken aaki 0369 kim nunn aaki 0369 jack snyder aajn
    0348 david uva aaki 0369 jeff loeb aaki 0369 jesica nixon aaki 0369 tim
    hutton aaki 0369 ana brown aaki 0369 tim kendall aaki 0369 judy gligg aajn
    0348 brian kraft aaki 0369 tanya smith aaki 0369 ernie reeder aaki 0369
    tammy byrne aaki 0369 former subscribers who disappeared sean michaelson
    aaki 0369 ron michael aaki 0369 bill tisken aaki 0369 kim nunn aaki 0369
    jack snyder aaki 0369 david uva aaki 0369 jeff loeb aaki 0369 jesica nixon
    aaki 0369 tim hutton aaki 0369 lucy lenya aaki 0369 scott monkin aaki 0369
    "Dave C." <anothergeek@wersadfx.com> wrote in message
    > dncmullin@yahoo.com wrote in
    >

    >> Is this just me? Has anyone else had this trouble? I am going to
    >> email Ubisoft, but I estimate that the probability that they will get
    >> back to me with useful info is certainly p < .05. I have had more tech
    >> trouble with Myst IV than I had with Myst, Riven, and Exile combined!
    >> My wife won't let us quit this game, so PLEASE can someone tell me how
    >> to get past this glitch!
    >> Chuck...stunned, disappointed, and increasingly hostile Chuck
    >>

    > I'm having a similar problem - always freezes at a certain spot. I've
    > updated the game to 1.02, updated my video drivers, tried the usual
    > things,
    > no effect. I have lots of memory, disk space, etc. I sent a message to
    > ubisoft support, got a respone that was mostly just a form letter saying I
    > should update my video drivers, meaning they hadn't even read my message
    > since I'd told them I did that. Completely useless "support". I have the
    > previous 3 Mysts, never had any problem with them. This is extremely
    > annoying, can't even get through the 2nd world.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Greetings!

    Well I finally broke through the glitch I had experienced with Myst IV
    Revelation, so I thought I'd report back to others perhaps having the
    same problem:

    To review: In Spire, and using the updated v1.02 version of Myst IV, I
    solved that slider puzzle in the "Spider chair." Afterwards, some
    little stepping stones appeared in the air, enabling me to walk to a
    suspended platform with a power control, a diary, and some
    crystal-making apparatus. I saved a game immediately after solving the
    puzzle and before walking across the stepping stones.

    After doing stuff on that suspended platform (turned on power, read
    diary, played with apparatus), when I went back to the spider chair,
    and clicked the blue button, I hit a fatal glitch and audio loop as the
    control panel was coming down.

    Ubisoft recommended I update my sound drivers and my Nvidia driver. No
    probs with the updated sound drivers, but also no success curing the
    glitch. Updating the Nvidia driver to 66.93 makes the game crash back
    to the desktop immediately upon start-up, so I rolled back my drivers
    to their previous (somewhat ancient but functional) state.

    I kept playing the game from my post-slider-solution saved game, but
    kept getting the glitch no matter what I did on the suspended platform.

    Finally did three things, one or more of which allowed me to get past
    that glitch:
    (1) I had about 55 saved snapshots in the photo feature; I deleted
    about 20 of them
    (2) I started from a saved game PRIOR to my solving the slider puzzle
    (which meant I had to solve it again, although it is relatively easy
    once you know what you need to do)
    (3) I went to the suspended platform, turned on the power (using the
    horizontal slider on the rock panel), and then when right back to the
    spider chair without touching the diary or the crystal-making
    apparatus.

    This time I did not encounter the glitch. I went up a level or two on
    the spider chair, but then returned to the suspended platform and read
    the diary and played with the apparatus. When I returned to the spider
    chair, once again there was NO glitch. Shortly thereafter I was
    mercifully able to leave Spire.

    Chuck

Video Games