PotS - can't swim fast enough

After more than two dozen tries, I conclude that I can't swim to the
tower because that's not how I'm supposed to get there. What's the trick?

I have run and jumped from every point on the island, and always miss by
one body-length. I've swum out to the "horizon" and tried from there
(what's up with THAT, anyhow?) and the same result. I can't find a
motorboat...

What have I missed?

RL

"Rustiferion" <lillico@no.spam.hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
> After more than two dozen tries, I conclude that I can't swim to the
> tower because that's not how I'm supposed to get there. What's the trick?
>
> I have run and jumped from every point on the island, and always miss by
> one body-length. I've swum out to the "horizon" and tried from there
> (what's up with THAT, anyhow?) and the same result. I can't find a
> motorboat...
>
> What have I missed?
>
> RL

Swim away from it. The flow of the water is very strong. Find a high place
where you can long-jump into the water and start swimming diagonal like
this:
(copy-past this to notepad and use courier new or another fixed size font)

_______
/ \
| |
| Tower |
| island |
| |
_ .\_______/
|\ swim in this direction .
\ .
\ .
\ .
O <-- splat!
.
.
/--X--\ <-- jump from here
| |
/ \
'hill'

Hope this helps..
And good luck with the rest of this island, it's a real pain in the bud to
figure it out :)
...and be sure to investigate all parts of the 'horizon', there is something
you might need out there in/on one of those 'cities'.

regards,
Marcel

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Marcel Overweel" <moverweel@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Rustiferion" <lillico@no.spam.hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
> > After more than two dozen tries, I conclude that I can't swim to the
> > tower because that's not how I'm supposed to get there. What's the
trick?

> > I have run and jumped from every point on the island, and always miss by
> > one body-length. I've swum out to the "horizon" and tried from there
> > (what's up with THAT, anyhow?) and the same result. I can't find a
> > motorboat...
> >
> > What have I missed?
> >
> > RL
>
> Swim away from it. The flow of the water is very strong. Find a high place
> where you can long-jump into the water and start swimming diagonal like
> this:
> (copy-past this to notepad and use courier new or another fixed size font)
>
> _______
> / \
> | |
> | Tower |
> | island |
> | |
> _ .\_______/
> |\ swim in this direction .
> \ .
> \ .
> \ .
> O <-- splat!
> .
> .
> /--X--\ <-- jump from here
> | |
> / \
> 'hill'
>

> Hope this helps..
> And good luck with the rest of this island, it's a real pain in the bud to
> figure it out :)
> ..and be sure to investigate all parts of the 'horizon', there is
something
> you might need out there in/on one of those 'cities'.
>
> regards,
> Marcel

It's easy to lose your sense of direction. To make sure that you always
swim exactly at right angles to the current, watch the splashes you make as
you swim. As long as you find the correct jumping off point (as described by
Marcel) , you'll be surprised how easy it is.

Nick.

Kate

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:09:04 +0100, "Marcel Overweel"
<moverweel@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Rustiferion" <lillico@no.spam.hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
>> After more than two dozen tries, I conclude that I can't swim to the
>> tower because that's not how I'm supposed to get there. What's the trick?
>>
>> I have run and jumped from every point on the island, and always miss by
>> one body-length. I've swum out to the "horizon" and tried from there
>> (what's up with THAT, anyhow?) and the same result. I can't find a
>> motorboat...
>>
>> What have I missed?
>>
>> RL
>
>Swim away from it. The flow of the water is very strong. Find a high place
>where you can long-jump into the water and start swimming diagonal like
>this:
>(copy-past this to notepad and use courier new or another fixed size font)
>
> _______
> / \
> | |
> | Tower |
> | island |
> | |
> _ .\_______/
>|\ swim in this direction .
> \ .
> \ .
> \ .
> O <-- splat!
> .
> .
> /--X--\ <-- jump from here
> | |
> / \
> 'hill'

Nicely done diagram. :) I had the same problem with the currents but
I didn't have any luck until I used those two big rocks to give me a
head start. Rustiferion, try this and I'll bet you make it on the
first try. Find the two big boulders sticking up out of the water
that look sort of like your Relto islands. Run and jump onto the first
rock, back up a little and run and jump onto the next one. Then dive
off and swim in the direction shown above. It's surprisingly easy
that way because the current takes you right up to the steps, or close
enough to stand up and walk over to them.

>Hope this helps..
>And good luck with the rest of this island, it's a real pain in the bud to
>figure it out :)
>..and be sure to investigate all parts of the 'horizon', there is something
>you might need out there in/on one of those 'cities'.
>
>regards,
>Marcel

"Rustiferion" <lillico@no.spam.hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
> After more than two dozen tries, I conclude that I can't swim to the tower
> because that's not how I'm supposed to get there. What's the trick?
>
> I have run and jumped from every point on the island, and always miss by
> one body-length. I've swum out to the "horizon" and tried from there
> (what's up with THAT, anyhow?) and the same result. I can't find a
> motorboat...

Should all else fail, it's not actually necessary to swim to the island.

Spoiler, only read if you already know what you're supposed to do on Water
Ahnonay (use ROT13 to view):
Lbhe tbny vf gb trg gur dhnof (peno-yvxr guvatf) vagb gur jngre. Bar bs gurz
vf ba gur gbjre vfynaq, fb vg frrzf yvxr vg'f arprffnel gb fjvz gurer. Ohg
vs lbh svefg chfu nyy bgure dhnof bss gur vfynaq, gura yvax onpx gb gur
Nuabanl pngurqeny naq gura onpx gb Nuabanl vgfrys, gung dhno jvyy nyfb or ba
gur znva vfynaq.

Gurer vf zber lbh arrq gb qb ba gur vfynaq, ohg bgure jnlf bs trggvat gurer
jvyy cerfrag vgfrys yngre ba.

--
Unforgiven

Marcel Overweel wrote:
<snip>
> ..and be sure to investigate all parts of the 'horizon', there is something
> you might need out there in/on one of those 'cities'.
>
> regards,
> Marcel

Thank you, all. worked like a charm. Don't know why I didn't think to
go all the way out there before - maybe I figured they were in the wrong
direction? Now I have to get in the door... haven't found anything to
"push" yet.

I have found I can only get to one of the stage-set groups on the
horizon - the one directly opposite the waterfall, and then only to the
left of it, can't swim around it or over to the next one. Is there
something there I'm supposed to find? Haven't seen anything in this Age
except the arcane 3:57 sign on the side of the tower, which I take to be
a reference to the inscrutable verse books on Relto. So far, I haven't
found them to be very helpful...

~Rusty

> Marcel Overweel wrote:
> <snip>
> > ..and be sure to investigate all parts of the 'horizon', there is
something
> > you might need out there in/on one of those 'cities'.
> >
> > regards,
> > Marcel
> >

> Thank you, all. worked like a charm. Don't know why I didn't think to
> go all the way out there before - maybe I figured they were in the wrong
> direction? Now I have to get in the door... haven't found anything to
> "push" yet.
>
> I have found I can only get to one of the stage-set groups on the
> horizon - the one directly opposite the waterfall, and then only to the
> left of it, can't swim around it or over to the next one. Is there
> something there I'm supposed to find? Haven't seen anything in this Age
> except the arcane 3:57 sign on the side of the tower, which I take to be
> a reference to the inscrutable verse books on Relto. So far, I haven't
> found them to be very helpful...
>
> ~Rusty

Yep, there is more to do.
Take a good look at the large metal device in the middle of the lake.
Notice the lights and think about what they can mean... (do those lights
change position sometimes?)

Read 'Unforgiven's reponse if you want to know more at this point...

regards,
Marcel

"Unforgiven" <jaapd4000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Rustiferion" <lillico@no.spam.hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
>> After more than two dozen tries, I conclude that I can't swim to the
>> tower because that's not how I'm supposed to get there. What's the
>> trick?
>>
>> I have run and jumped from every point on the island, and always miss by
>> one body-length. I've swum out to the "horizon" and tried from there
>> (what's up with THAT, anyhow?) and the same result. I can't find a
>> motorboat...
>
> Should all else fail, it's not actually necessary to swim to the island.
>
> Spoiler, only read if you already know what you're supposed to do on Water
> Ahnonay (use ROT13 to view):
> Lbhe tbny vf gb trg gur dhnof (peno-yvxr guvatf) vagb gur jngre. Bar bs
> gurz vf ba gur gbjre vfynaq, fb vg frrzf yvxr vg'f arprffnel gb fjvz
> gurer. Ohg vs lbh svefg chfu nyy bgure dhnof bss gur vfynaq, gura yvax
> onpx gb gur Nuabanl pngurqeny naq gura onpx gb Nuabanl vgfrys, gung dhno
> jvyy nyfb or ba gur znva vfynaq.
>
> Gurer vf zber lbh arrq gb qb ba gur vfynaq, ohg bgure jnlf bs trggvat
> gurer jvyy cerfrag vgfrys yngre ba.

Please ignore these tests

does not include bob reed aakg 0367 bob reed aakg 0367 sean michaelson aakg
0367 ron michael aakg 0367 bill tisken
aakg 0367 kim nunn aakg 0367 jack snyder aakg 0367 david uva aakg 0367 jeff
loeb aakg 0367 jesica nixon aakg 0367 tim hutton aakg 0367 ana
brown aakg 0367 tim kendall aakg 0367 judy gligg aakg 0367 brian kraft aakg
0367 tanya
smith aakg 0367 ernie reeder aakg 0367 tammy byrne aakg 0367 second does not
include bob reed aakg 0367 sean michaelson aakg 0367 ron michael aakg 0367
bill tisken aajn
0348 kim nunn aakg 0367 jack snyder aakg 0367 david uva aakg 0367 jeff loeb
aakg 0367 jesica nixon aakg 0367 tim hutton aakg 0367 ana brown aakg 0367
tim kendall aakg 0367 judy gligg aakg 0367 brian kraft aakg 0367 tanya smith
aakg 0367 ernie reeder aakg 0367 tammy byrne aakg 0367 no longer subscribing
bob reed aakg 0367 sean michaelson aakg 0367 ron michael aakg 0367 bill
tisken aakg 0367 kim
nunn aakg 0367 jack snyder aakg 0367 david uva aakg 0367 jeff loeb aakg 0367
jesica nixon aakg 0367 tim hutton aakg 0367 ana brown aakg 0367 tim kendall
aakg 0367 judy gligg aakg 0367 brian kraft aakg 0367 tanya smith aakg 0367
ernie reeder aakg 0367 tammy byrne aakg 0367 bob reed aakg 0367 sean
michaelson aakg 0367 ron
michael aakg 0367 bill tisken aakg 0367 kim nunn aakg 0367 jack snyder aajn
0348 david uva aakg 0367 jeff loeb aakg 0367 jesica nixon aakg 0367 tim
hutton aakg 0367 ana brown aakg 0367 tim kendall aakg 0367 judy gligg aajn
0348 brian kraft aakg 0367 tanya smith aakg 0367 ernie reeder aakg 0367
tammy byrne aakg 0367 former subscribers who disappeared sean michaelson
aakg 0367 ron michael aakg 0367 bill tisken aakg 0367 kim nunn aakg 0367
jack snyder aakg 0367 david uva aakg 0367 jeff loeb aakg 0367 jesica nixon
aakg 0367 tim hutton aakg 0367 lucy lenya aakg 0367 scott monkin aakg 0367