PotS - can't swim fast enough

After more than two dozen tries, I conclude that I can't swim to the
tower because that's not how I'm supposed to get there. What's the trick?

I have run and jumped from every point on the island, and always miss by
one body-length. I've swum out to the "horizon" and tried from there
(what's up with THAT, anyhow?) and the same result. I can't find a
motorboat...

What have I missed?

RL
7 answers Last reply
More about pots swim fast enough
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Rustiferion" <lillico@no.spam.hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
    > After more than two dozen tries, I conclude that I can't swim to the
    > tower because that's not how I'm supposed to get there. What's the trick?
    >
    > I have run and jumped from every point on the island, and always miss by
    > one body-length. I've swum out to the "horizon" and tried from there
    > (what's up with THAT, anyhow?) and the same result. I can't find a
    > motorboat...
    >
    > What have I missed?
    >
    > RL

    Swim away from it. The flow of the water is very strong. Find a high place
    where you can long-jump into the water and start swimming diagonal like
    this:
    (copy-past this to notepad and use courier new or another fixed size font)

    _______
    / \
    | |
    | Tower |
    | island |
    | |
    _ .\_______/
    |\ swim in this direction .
    \ .
    \ .
    \ .
    O <-- splat!
    .
    .
    /--X--\ <-- jump from here
    | |
    / \
    'hill'

    Hope this helps..
    And good luck with the rest of this island, it's a real pain in the bud to
    figure it out :)
    ...and be sure to investigate all parts of the 'horizon', there is something
    you might need out there in/on one of those 'cities'.

    regards,
    Marcel
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Marcel Overweel" <moverweel@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Rustiferion" <lillico@no.spam.hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > After more than two dozen tries, I conclude that I can't swim to the
    > > tower because that's not how I'm supposed to get there. What's the
    trick?

    > > I have run and jumped from every point on the island, and always miss by
    > > one body-length. I've swum out to the "horizon" and tried from there
    > > (what's up with THAT, anyhow?) and the same result. I can't find a
    > > motorboat...
    > >
    > > What have I missed?
    > >
    > > RL
    >
    > Swim away from it. The flow of the water is very strong. Find a high place
    > where you can long-jump into the water and start swimming diagonal like
    > this:
    > (copy-past this to notepad and use courier new or another fixed size font)
    >
    > _______
    > / \
    > | |
    > | Tower |
    > | island |
    > | |
    > _ .\_______/
    > |\ swim in this direction .
    > \ .
    > \ .
    > \ .
    > O <-- splat!
    > .
    > .
    > /--X--\ <-- jump from here
    > | |
    > / \
    > 'hill'
    >

    > Hope this helps..
    > And good luck with the rest of this island, it's a real pain in the bud to
    > figure it out :)
    > ..and be sure to investigate all parts of the 'horizon', there is
    something
    > you might need out there in/on one of those 'cities'.
    >
    > regards,
    > Marcel

    It's easy to lose your sense of direction. To make sure that you always
    swim exactly at right angles to the current, watch the splashes you make as
    you swim. As long as you find the correct jumping off point (as described by
    Marcel) , you'll be surprised how easy it is.

    Nick.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:09:04 +0100, "Marcel Overweel"
    <moverweel@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Rustiferion" <lillico@no.spam.hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> After more than two dozen tries, I conclude that I can't swim to the
    >> tower because that's not how I'm supposed to get there. What's the trick?
    >>
    >> I have run and jumped from every point on the island, and always miss by
    >> one body-length. I've swum out to the "horizon" and tried from there
    >> (what's up with THAT, anyhow?) and the same result. I can't find a
    >> motorboat...
    >>
    >> What have I missed?
    >>
    >> RL
    >
    >Swim away from it. The flow of the water is very strong. Find a high place
    >where you can long-jump into the water and start swimming diagonal like
    >this:
    >(copy-past this to notepad and use courier new or another fixed size font)
    >
    > _______
    > / \
    > | |
    > | Tower |
    > | island |
    > | |
    > _ .\_______/
    >|\ swim in this direction .
    > \ .
    > \ .
    > \ .
    > O <-- splat!
    > .
    > .
    > /--X--\ <-- jump from here
    > | |
    > / \
    > 'hill'

    Nicely done diagram. :) I had the same problem with the currents but
    I didn't have any luck until I used those two big rocks to give me a
    head start. Rustiferion, try this and I'll bet you make it on the
    first try. Find the two big boulders sticking up out of the water
    that look sort of like your Relto islands. Run and jump onto the first
    rock, back up a little and run and jump onto the next one. Then dive
    off and swim in the direction shown above. It's surprisingly easy
    that way because the current takes you right up to the steps, or close
    enough to stand up and walk over to them.

    >Hope this helps..
    >And good luck with the rest of this island, it's a real pain in the bud to
    >figure it out :)
    >..and be sure to investigate all parts of the 'horizon', there is something
    >you might need out there in/on one of those 'cities'.
    >
    >regards,
    >Marcel

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Rustiferion" <lillico@no.spam.hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
    > After more than two dozen tries, I conclude that I can't swim to the tower
    > because that's not how I'm supposed to get there. What's the trick?
    >
    > I have run and jumped from every point on the island, and always miss by
    > one body-length. I've swum out to the "horizon" and tried from there
    > (what's up with THAT, anyhow?) and the same result. I can't find a
    > motorboat...

    Should all else fail, it's not actually necessary to swim to the island.

    Spoiler, only read if you already know what you're supposed to do on Water
    Ahnonay (use ROT13 to view):
    Lbhe tbny vf gb trg gur dhnof (peno-yvxr guvatf) vagb gur jngre. Bar bs gurz
    vf ba gur gbjre vfynaq, fb vg frrzf yvxr vg'f arprffnel gb fjvz gurer. Ohg
    vs lbh svefg chfu nyy bgure dhnof bss gur vfynaq, gura yvax onpx gb gur
    Nuabanl pngurqeny naq gura onpx gb Nuabanl vgfrys, gung dhno jvyy nyfb or ba
    gur znva vfynaq.

    Gurer vf zber lbh arrq gb qb ba gur vfynaq, ohg bgure jnlf bs trggvat gurer
    jvyy cerfrag vgfrys yngre ba.

    --
    Unforgiven
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    Marcel Overweel wrote:
    <snip>
    > ..and be sure to investigate all parts of the 'horizon', there is something
    > you might need out there in/on one of those 'cities'.
    >
    > regards,
    > Marcel

    Thank you, all. worked like a charm. Don't know why I didn't think to
    go all the way out there before - maybe I figured they were in the wrong
    direction? Now I have to get in the door... haven't found anything to
    "push" yet.

    I have found I can only get to one of the stage-set groups on the
    horizon - the one directly opposite the waterfall, and then only to the
    left of it, can't swim around it or over to the next one. Is there
    something there I'm supposed to find? Haven't seen anything in this Age
    except the arcane 3:57 sign on the side of the tower, which I take to be
    a reference to the inscrutable verse books on Relto. So far, I haven't
    found them to be very helpful...

    ~Rusty
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    > Marcel Overweel wrote:
    > <snip>
    > > ..and be sure to investigate all parts of the 'horizon', there is
    something
    > > you might need out there in/on one of those 'cities'.
    > >
    > > regards,
    > > Marcel
    > >

    > Thank you, all. worked like a charm. Don't know why I didn't think to
    > go all the way out there before - maybe I figured they were in the wrong
    > direction? Now I have to get in the door... haven't found anything to
    > "push" yet.
    >
    > I have found I can only get to one of the stage-set groups on the
    > horizon - the one directly opposite the waterfall, and then only to the
    > left of it, can't swim around it or over to the next one. Is there
    > something there I'm supposed to find? Haven't seen anything in this Age
    > except the arcane 3:57 sign on the side of the tower, which I take to be
    > a reference to the inscrutable verse books on Relto. So far, I haven't
    > found them to be very helpful...
    >
    > ~Rusty

    Yep, there is more to do.
    Take a good look at the large metal device in the middle of the lake.
    Notice the lights and think about what they can mean... (do those lights
    change position sometimes?)

    Read 'Unforgiven's reponse if you want to know more at this point...

    regards,
    Marcel
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.myst (More info?)

    "Unforgiven" <jaapd4000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Rustiferion" <lillico@no.spam.hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> After more than two dozen tries, I conclude that I can't swim to the
    >> tower because that's not how I'm supposed to get there. What's the
    >> trick?
    >>
    >> I have run and jumped from every point on the island, and always miss by
    >> one body-length. I've swum out to the "horizon" and tried from there
    >> (what's up with THAT, anyhow?) and the same result. I can't find a
    >> motorboat...
    >
    > Should all else fail, it's not actually necessary to swim to the island.
    >
    > Spoiler, only read if you already know what you're supposed to do on Water
    > Ahnonay (use ROT13 to view):
    > Lbhe tbny vf gb trg gur dhnof (peno-yvxr guvatf) vagb gur jngre. Bar bs
    > gurz vf ba gur gbjre vfynaq, fb vg frrzf yvxr vg'f arprffnel gb fjvz
    > gurer. Ohg vs lbh svefg chfu nyy bgure dhnof bss gur vfynaq, gura yvax
    > onpx gb gur Nuabanl pngurqeny naq gura onpx gb Nuabanl vgfrys, gung dhno
    > jvyy nyfb or ba gur znva vfynaq.
    >
    > Gurer vf zber lbh arrq gb qb ba gur vfynaq, ohg bgure jnlf bs trggvat
    > gurer jvyy cerfrag vgfrys yngre ba.

    Please ignore these tests

    does not include bob reed aakg 0367 bob reed aakg 0367 sean michaelson aakg
    0367 ron michael aakg 0367 bill tisken
    aakg 0367 kim nunn aakg 0367 jack snyder aakg 0367 david uva aakg 0367 jeff
    loeb aakg 0367 jesica nixon aakg 0367 tim hutton aakg 0367 ana
    brown aakg 0367 tim kendall aakg 0367 judy gligg aakg 0367 brian kraft aakg
    0367 tanya
    smith aakg 0367 ernie reeder aakg 0367 tammy byrne aakg 0367 second does not
    include bob reed aakg 0367 sean michaelson aakg 0367 ron michael aakg 0367
    bill tisken aajn
    0348 kim nunn aakg 0367 jack snyder aakg 0367 david uva aakg 0367 jeff loeb
    aakg 0367 jesica nixon aakg 0367 tim hutton aakg 0367 ana brown aakg 0367
    tim kendall aakg 0367 judy gligg aakg 0367 brian kraft aakg 0367 tanya smith
    aakg 0367 ernie reeder aakg 0367 tammy byrne aakg 0367 no longer subscribing
    bob reed aakg 0367 sean michaelson aakg 0367 ron michael aakg 0367 bill
    tisken aakg 0367 kim
    nunn aakg 0367 jack snyder aakg 0367 david uva aakg 0367 jeff loeb aakg 0367
    jesica nixon aakg 0367 tim hutton aakg 0367 ana brown aakg 0367 tim kendall
    aakg 0367 judy gligg aakg 0367 brian kraft aakg 0367 tanya smith aakg 0367
    ernie reeder aakg 0367 tammy byrne aakg 0367 bob reed aakg 0367 sean
    michaelson aakg 0367 ron
    michael aakg 0367 bill tisken aakg 0367 kim nunn aakg 0367 jack snyder aajn
    0348 david uva aakg 0367 jeff loeb aakg 0367 jesica nixon aakg 0367 tim
    hutton aakg 0367 ana brown aakg 0367 tim kendall aakg 0367 judy gligg aajn
    0348 brian kraft aakg 0367 tanya smith aakg 0367 ernie reeder aakg 0367
    tammy byrne aakg 0367 former subscribers who disappeared sean michaelson
    aakg 0367 ron michael aakg 0367 bill tisken aakg 0367 kim nunn aakg 0367
    jack snyder aakg 0367 david uva aakg 0367 jeff loeb aakg 0367 jesica nixon
    aakg 0367 tim hutton aakg 0367 lucy lenya aakg 0367 scott monkin aakg 0367
    ana brown aakg 0367 tim kendall aakg 0367 judy gligg aakg 0367 brian kraft
    aakg 0367

Games Video Games