Network PCMCIA card on HP Jornada 680 handheld PC

a b α HP
January 16, 2005 7:08:06 AM

Hi,

Does anybody know of a PCMCIA NIC that will operate correctly on the above
PC? I already own 2 such cards but the system will not drive them and the
drivers supplied with them also do not support Win CE 3.0.

Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated.

Graham
Anonymous
a b α HP
January 16, 2005 3:27:24 PM

Graham,

You should post your questions on the device into
microsoft.public.handheldpc. This group is specifically for kayboardless
Pocket PC devices.

Secondly, the 680 is a Windows CE 2.11 device, not a CE 3.0 one.

Third, our HCL should be of use to you:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=10

Happy hunting.

--
Chris Tilley
Editor-in-Chief

"Graham Butcher" <graham.butcher@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know of a PCMCIA NIC that will operate correctly on the above
> PC? I already own 2 such cards but the system will not drive them and the
> drivers supplied with them also do not support Win CE 3.0.
>
> Any help with this problem is greatly appreciated.
>
> Graham

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 16, 2005 3:27:25 PM

Any nic that is based on the ne2000 protocol should work.

You will probably have to find an older pcmcia card and use a
pcmcia<->cf adapter with a ne2000 compatable CF card.

Socket CF nic cards should work as well.

If you are interested, it would also be worth trying an orinoco pcmcia
wifi card which I believe has the drivers in rom of most devices of that
era.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b α HP
January 16, 2005 6:28:54 PM

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:27:24 -0000, "Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor"
<chrisNOSPAMPLEASE@hpcfactor.com> wrote:

> You should post your questions on the device into
>microsoft.public.handheldpc. This group is specifically for kayboardless
>Pocket PC devices.
Don't bother with MPH, I posted the same question a while back,
got no response.

HP680 users gave up on the platform years ago. If I had know that
prior to buying the 680 I never would have bought the thing.

So users like us are on our own.

It's too bad, a strong user base can keep an orphaned computer
alive for many years. You'd be surprised how many users still
use "discontinued" computers, sadly the HPC is not one of them.

A strong user base supports platforms like the Commodore 64, sadly
the users of the HPC have abadoned the plaform in droves.

Over the last few years I've posted about a dozen question on
MPH and only one ever got an answer.

Does Microsoft even have MVPs for the HPC any more?

a b α HP
January 17, 2005 5:17:27 AM

Beverly,

Actually the NE2000 drivers under the HPC at least are horrifically
unreliable. Every 10/100 nic I've ever thrown at it has locked up the device
and in two cases caused a hard reset.
So I strongly don't advise a random splurge on a NE2000 adapter, unless you
can get a specific recommendation.

The Orinoco wifi's a nice little adapter if you're in the market. That or
the Cisco Aironet 350.

As for our friend below here.
I've searched google groups and found 5 archived threads in there, all have
replies. Including your test the water one. With your requests for support
you never came back to questions by those who were trying to help, and the
others are all criticising the group based on past merits.
So either you posted under a different alias, there is something up with
your news client or it was a very, very long time ago.

Either way, there still is a community for H/PC's out there. There are some
well put together sites with hard working web masters. Sure it isn't the
Pocket PC community. However a lot of the leads in the P/PC community are
closet H/PC fans too.

& the PPC community do not need to be hearing this because it's off topic
;-)
(Pot, kettle and black.. yea I know...)

--

message news:e8qjku%23%23EHA.1604@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Any nic that is based on the ne2000 protocol should work.
>
> You will probably have to find an older pcmcia card and use a pcmcia<->cf
> adapter with a ne2000 compatable CF card.
>
> Socket CF nic cards should work as well.
>
> If you are interested, it would also be worth trying an orinoco pcmcia
> wifi card which I believe has the drivers in rom of most devices of that
> era.

a b α HP
January 17, 2005 5:17:28 AM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 02:17:27 -0000, "Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor"
<chrisNOSPAMPLEASE@hpcfactor.com> wrote:

>As for our friend below here.
>I've searched google groups and found 5 archived threads in there, all have
>replies. Including your test the water one. With your requests for support
>you never came back to questions by those who were trying to help, and the
>others are all criticising the group based on past merits.
I would point out most of the questions I posted were not on Google
(i've noticed many posts never make it to google.)

If there were any questions posed I never got the questions
on Newsfeeds. I know the original questions did show up
on Newsfeeds, the reponses and questions never did.

>So either you posted under a different alias, there is something up with
>your news client or it was a very, very long time ago.
Which is possible, every Usenet server i've ever used looses posts.

(i've noticed MPP looses alot less posts than MPH does. I have no clue
as to why.

a b α HP
January 17, 2005 5:19:42 AM

Well that's a shame as the 680 is only about 5 years old, although I did
suspect that it would not be too easy getting information etc., when I
looked at the HPC site, they have dropped all support for the Jornada's
apart from the latest keyboardless ones which are imo ideal purely as pocket
diary's and of course sat nav in older cars that do not have a sat nav
option open to them.

I shall re-direct my question to Microsoft.public.handheldpc and see if
anybody there has had any success.

They are lots of refurbished 680's currently being sold on Ebay at the
moment and they are selling like hot cakes so who knows, perhaps there might
be a revival of interest in a users group soon, lets hope.

"Barrnabas Collins" <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:27:24 -0000, "Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor"
> <chrisNOSPAMPLEASE@hpcfactor.com> wrote:
>
>> You should post your questions on the device into
>>microsoft.public.handheldpc. This group is specifically for kayboardless
>>Pocket PC devices.
> Don't bother with MPH, I posted the same question a while back,
> got no response.
>
> HP680 users gave up on the platform years ago. If I had know that
> prior to buying the 680 I never would have bought the thing.
>
> So users like us are on our own.
>
> It's too bad, a strong user base can keep an orphaned computer
> alive for many years. You'd be surprised how many users still
> use "discontinued" computers, sadly the HPC is not one of them.
>
> A strong user base supports platforms like the Commodore 64, sadly
> the users of the HPC have abadoned the plaform in droves.
>
> Over the last few years I've posted about a dozen question on
> MPH and only one ever got an answer.
>
> Does Microsoft even have MVPs for the HPC any more?

> Newsgroups
a b α HP
January 17, 2005 3:20:38 PM

The group "Microsoft.public.handheldpc" alas is no more. Thank you all who
have replied to this thread, your comments are most welcome and the site
that you suggested (Chris Tilley) I shall explore this in more detail later
today when I get back from work.

Once again a big thank you and if anybody else has the same problem and has
found a solution, please share it with us all.

Regards,

Graham

> Well that's a shame as the 680 is only about 5 years old, although I did
> suspect that it would not be too easy getting information etc., when I
> looked at the HPC site, they have dropped all support for the Jornada's
> apart from the latest keyboardless ones which are imo ideal purely as
> pocket diary's and of course sat nav in older cars that do not have a sat
> nav option open to them.
>
> I shall re-direct my question to Microsoft.public.handheldpc and see if
> anybody there has had any success.
>
> They are lots of refurbished 680's currently being sold on Ebay at the
> moment and they are selling like hot cakes so who knows, perhaps there
> might be a revival of interest in a users group soon, lets hope.
>

> "Barrnabas Collins" <BarnabasCollinsonSFNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:m4dlu0tvmn16tchvbmb7pu90p49l5t9heo@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 12:27:24 -0000, "Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor"
>> <chrisNOSPAMPLEASE@hpcfactor.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You should post your questions on the device into
>>>microsoft.public.handheldpc. This group is specifically for kayboardless
>>>Pocket PC devices.
>> Don't bother with MPH, I posted the same question a while back,
>> got no response.
>>
>> HP680 users gave up on the platform years ago. If I had know that
>> prior to buying the 680 I never would have bought the thing.
>>
>> So users like us are on our own.
>>
>> It's too bad, a strong user base can keep an orphaned computer
>> alive for many years. You'd be surprised how many users still
>> use "discontinued" computers, sadly the HPC is not one of them.
>>
>> A strong user base supports platforms like the Commodore 64, sadly
>> the users of the HPC have abadoned the plaform in droves.
>>
>> Over the last few years I've posted about a dozen question on
>> MPH and only one ever got an answer.
>>
>> Does Microsoft even have MVPs for the HPC any more?

>> Newsgroups
>> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 17, 2005 3:57:53 PM

Well, perhaps it is time you looked into a new NNTP client, as clearly this
isn't a good situation.
Suffice it to say, you just need to loog at google groups to see that people
were replying.

--

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 02:17:27 -0000, "Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor"
> <chrisNOSPAMPLEASE@hpcfactor.com> wrote:
>
>>As for our friend below here.
>>I've searched google groups and found 5 archived threads in there, all
>>have
>>replies. Including your test the water one. With your requests for support
>>you never came back to questions by those who were trying to help, and the
>>others are all criticising the group based on past merits.
> I would point out most of the questions I posted were not on Google
> (i've noticed many posts never make it to google.)
>
> If there were any questions posed I never got the questions
> on Newsfeeds. I know the original questions did show up
> on Newsfeeds, the reponses and questions never did.
>

>>So either you posted under a different alias, there is something up with
>>your news client or it was a very, very long time ago.
> Which is possible, every Usenet server i've ever used looses posts.
>
> (i've noticed MPP looses alot less posts than MPH does. I have no clue
> as to why.

> Newsgroups
a b α HP
January 17, 2005 3:59:52 PM

I assure you that ms.pub.hpc is alive and well. I go there every day!
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.ha...

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?IC...

Good luck with your search.

--

>>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
>>> Newsgroups
>>> ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 19, 2005 3:19:11 AM

Chris, your last post has produced some results, I came across a link to
another site and found a list of compatible cards and it turns out that one
of these I already had, just did not have the correct driver for Win CE. I
am going to try and install it later and will report back to the group if it
is successful with all the links etc in case somebody else might find it
useful.

Graham

"Chris Tilley - HPC:Factor" <chrisNOSPAMPLEASE@hpcfactor.com> wrote in
message news:uENT0RJ$EHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]

>> Regards,
>>
>> Graham
>>
>> "Graham Butcher" <graham.butcher@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>>> Well that's a shame as the 680 is only about 5 years old, although I did
>>> suspect that it would not be too easy getting information etc., when I
>>> looked at the HPC site, they have dropped all support for the Jornada's
>>> apart from the latest keyboardless ones which are imo ideal purely as
>>> pocket diary's and of course sat nav in older cars that do not have a
>>> sat nav option open to them.
>>>
>>> I shall re-direct my question to Microsoft.public.handheldpc and see if
>>> anybody there has had any success.
>>>
>>> They are lots of refurbished 680's currently being sold on Ebay at the
>>> moment and they are selling like hot cakes so who knows, perhaps there
>>> might be a revival of interest in a users group soon, lets hope.

January 19, 2005 4:50:06 AM

Chris, the installation has failed. I followed all the on screen
instructions but the program asked for the Win CE CD to be inserted into the
CD drive. This I could do as WIN CE is pre-installed by way of ROM on the HP
machines.

Oh well back to the drawing board again.

Graham.
Anonymous
a b α HP
January 19, 2005 4:59:47 AM

Graham, you are trying to install the Windows CE 2.00 driver on the device.

You can pull the correct driver for the 3c589 from our support section.
Please be sure you have installed the SP1 and HP PCMCIA.dll update first.

I don't want to go on about getting this into ms.pub.hpc.. but... ^_-

--

> Chris, the installation has failed. I followed all the on screen
> instructions but the program asked for the Win CE CD to be inserted into
> the CD drive. This I could do as WIN CE is pre-installed by way of ROM on
> the HP machines.
>
> Oh well back to the drawing board again.
>
> Graham.

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 19, 2005 11:21:47 AM

Chris,

SP1 is installed, where do I find the HP PCMCIA.dll update?

I am not new to computers, I think that I'm fairly advanced on desktop and
laptop machines when it comes to repairing / updating and troubleshooting,
but the 680 Jornada is not really playing ball with me. Perhaps I
mis-understanding what the instructions are telling me. I have downloaded
the drivers for the NIC, a 3Com 3C589C, burnt them onto a CD.

Printed the instructions as found in the Win CE directory and followed
precisely what the instructions said to do.

"To connect the LAN PC Card and install the driver,
follow these steps:

1. Establish a connection between the hand-held PC
and a Windows 98, Windows 95, or Windows NT PC
using a serial cable.

2. Insert the Windows CE CD in your CD-ROM drive.

3. Click Start and then click Run in the task bar.

4. Insert LAN Installation Disk 1 in drive a:
and type:

a:\win_ce\setup.exe

Setup guides you through the 3c589 series driver
and components installation. Setup.exe is located
in the WIN_CE directory.

5. Wait until the installation is complete.

6. Do a warm reset on your hand-held PC and plug
in the LAN PC Card in the PCMCIA slot of the
hand-held PC.

7. Type Yes when prompted to use the PC Card.

8. Complete the TCP/IP configuration when prompted.

9. Remove LAN Installation Disk and restart the
hand-held PC.

Installation is complete."

Problem being is step 2, I do not have this CD as the OF/SO is held in ROM
on the 680. If i ignore the fact that I do not have the CD-ROM and enter the
instructions as above, the system then prompts me to insert the Win_CE
CD-ROM. Because I do not have this, it justs hangs there as it still expects
the insertion of the CD-ROM.

Any assistance on this would be appreciated.

message news:%23EiM1pc$EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Graham, you are trying to install the Windows CE 2.00 driver on the
> device.
>
> You can pull the correct driver for the 3c589 from our support section.
> Please be sure you have installed the SP1 and HP PCMCIA.dll update first.
>
> I don't want to go on about getting this into ms.pub.hpc.. but... ^_-
>
> --
> Chris Tilley
> Editor-in-Chief
> HPC:Factor http://www.hpcfactor.com/
> HPC:Factor HPC Forums http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/
>
> "Graham Butcher" <graham.butcher@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Chris, the installation has failed. I followed all the on screen
>> instructions but the program asked for the Win CE CD to be inserted into
>> the CD drive. This I could do as WIN CE is pre-installed by way of ROM on
>> the HP machines.
>>
>> Oh well back to the drawing board again.
>>
>> Graham.

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 19, 2005 11:37:11 AM

Chris,

Dammed spell check, I should have checked the posting a bit better, the
OF/SO below should read O/S.

!