Ethernet, FastEthernet saturation

Hi folks,

could somebody give me some link about saturation (why, how,...) in
ethernet & fastethernet networks...

I would like to know why it's possible to transmit over ethernet
networks just cca 7Mb/s and over fastethernet cca 70 Mb/s...

What is the explanation of the phisics behind it?

thanks
dan

nooo <noo.nospam@nosmapnospam.net> writes:

>I would like to know why it's possible to transmit over ethernet
>networks just cca 7Mb/s and over fastethernet cca 70 Mb/s...

It is possible, and common, to send much more than that.
With current (last few years) common server hardware, it
is no problem at all to push ca. 11 Megabyte per second
down a fast ethernet link, under normal server operation
of e.g. an ftp server.

Anything slower is either the result of an unfortunate window size,
or a sign of how contemporary software can slow things down by
animating window borders, or something.

best regards
Patrick

Patrick Schaaf wrote:

> Anything slower is either the result of an unfortunate window size,
> or a sign of how contemporary software can slow things down by
> animating window borders, or something.

Window size refers to TCP, not ethernet, or even IP. With ethernet, the
frame is placed on the wire, with no flow control.

Patrick, thanks for info...

looks like that i have old switches and old software... :(