Safe Temps for X800

trinitron64

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
when im gaming my temps are about 75C with my R420 (same core as x800se / x800xtpe)

When im in ATI tool i hit as high as 81C and with artifact detection on the most sensitive...

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I remember the days I had my x800. Probably the hottest running card I have ever owned(loud fan too). I Think my x800 was my first 2-slot card. Right up there with my 6800 ultra. Now that card was a thermal hot spot on the globe too.

The x800 was as a decent card and sounds like your card is pretty much up to par. The heat will proably be a big limiting factor on any o/c you will achieve. I would consider other cooling options(water, after market coolers). Maybe your money could be better invested in a newer GPU atleast when you're ready. There's a bizillion guides on perfermance/cost of current GPU's.

My current card runs idle @ 45 C (7900 GTX) w/ Zalaman air cooling kit. Highest load temp I have seen is around 55 C. I live in San Diego and we've had some pretty warm weather. I stopped watching my temps after I saw the difference a little artic silver with after-market cooler made(kool!).

Life will be good until DX10 launches, which are supposed to be a Watt-eating hot monsters. That alone may keep me at bay for "awhile".

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I remember the days I had my x800. Probably the hottest running card I have ever owned

This is coming from a man with a 7900GTX??

I Think my x800 was my first 2-slot card.

All X800's were single slot solutions. The only time this diverted was after the X850pro.

My current card runs idle @ 45 C (7900 GTX) w/ Zalaman air cooling kit. Highest load temp I have seen is around 55 C.

As a former resident of Cali, I doubt your temps are that low...
Especially if your running the VF-900, that sure as hell aint happening.

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I remember the days I had my x800. Probably the hottest running card I have ever owned

This is coming from a man with a 7900GTX??

My current card runs idle @ 45 C (7900 GTX) w/ Zalaman air cooling kit. Highest load temp I have seen is around 55 C.

As a former resident of Cali, I doubt your temps are that low...
Especially if your running the VF-900, that sure as hell aint happening.

My abient temps right now at the time of my testing are 25 C or almost 80 F. I'm not in any A/C if that's what you're thinking.
Here you can see my temps 2 minutes recording the desktop temps 45 C. The next is after running the graphic test on Company of Heroes w/all graphical seetings maxed @1920x1080. I think it runs for a minute and half. Looks like my maxed out temp was around 65 C. After 1 minute you can see I go right back down around 49 C.

If my ambient temps were a bit lower today I'd probably be at around 60 C. I have recently added (2) more Raptor 150's and put the Ageias Physx paper weight back in my rig. This probably accounts for a bit more rise in temps since my last time I ran any kind of temperature benchmark.

I think this does clearly show the 7900GTX runs cooler with the proper heatsink mods than a 800SE. That was my point.

I Think my x800 was my first 2-slot card.

All X800's were single slot solutions. The only time this diverted was after the X850pro.

I wasn't sure if my card was an x800 or x850 off the top of my head when I wrote my post. I thought it was an x800 and was hot for sure. I did see on newegg they have x800GTO's with 2 slot cooling. That's why I said I thought I had an x800, but now that you mentioned x850 pro I think that's what I had. We're are talking about 5 video cards ago for me. So, the memory gets a bit muddy after a few years.
9800PRo>X850Pro>6800Ultra>7800GTX>7900GT>7900GTX my timeline

***EDITED*** I remember now. I did have the 850 Pro and it was the hot AGP card I was talking about. I later got a ATI AIW X800Xl PCIE thinking I could do cross-fire set-up after talking to ATI's Tech support *chuckles*. I returned that card shortly after buying it. I don't remember it running to hot. I did play Guild wars when it first came out on this card. I remember it did a real good job, but no crossfire support at that time was what made me go with the Sli options.

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
No worries man.

I was suprised you sounded like you didn't like the VF900. It can be bought for $35 on newegg, which I find to be cheap price for a cooler that can potentialy lower GPU temps ~10-15 C w/ AS5. I find it to be quite efficient cooler for the price. My temps are considerably lower than with the stock EVGA cooler.

I really liked the looks of the stock cooler, but taken it out probably increased my case air flow due to it's massive block size. With 4 raptors spinning I try to get the best airflow I can pump in.

Currently my Stacker case has 2 of the Hard drive bays with large 120mm fans that intake cool air from front of case and blow back ( Thermaltake A2309 iCage ).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999141
Does a nice job of ventilation and looks clean too.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Dont' get me wrong, I like the Zalman solution, but it isnt as great as I originally thought it would have been. I have one sitting on my X1800XT right now and the temps arent stellar -- but it does get the job done and its very quiet.