Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking E6600 and RAM timings?

Last response: in Overclocking
September 13, 2006 3:14:06 AM

Hi all,

I am running a E6600 @ 3.2ghz (scythe ninja plus), an ASUS P5W-DH Deluxe, x1900xt, and 2GB G. Skill F2-6400PHU1.

I have been messing around with overclocking a lot and have finally settled on 3.2ghzfor now (using 1.325 vcore) and a 1:1 ratio with my RAM. Idle coretemp reports 39C and under load 50C. I have tried to increase the FSB but it requires significantly more vcore and that heats things up quite a bit.

I had it prime95 stable at 3.4ghz, but that required 1.4125 vcore and my idle temp was 44C with my load temp 59C. I didn't want it that hot, so I decided that 3.2ghz would be good enough for now.

So I decided I would try to boost my RAM performance. I went into the bios and have the timings (in cpu-z) at 3:3:3:10:13. This is with 2.1 vdimm and it ran prime95, memtest, and sisoft sandra benchmarks alright so it looks like it is stable.

The memory is running at 356 MHz so it has a 1:1 ratio with the FSB. I have heard it is best to keep a 1:1 ratio, but wonder if I would see more performance if I increased the speed of the RAM? Or should I try to tighten the timings even more?

All my other voltage settings in the bios are default.

Thanks
September 13, 2006 4:28:48 AM

It's not going to make too much more of a difference. Playing with ram is kinda like playing with air filters on cars. The settings you've got are already pretty good. Even if the ram is multiplied by 2.5, the difference is miniscule.
!