Windows Installer

I see several others have had the problem of the Windows Installer box
repeatedly popping up. I have tried to unregister and I get the message that
the file isn't found when I enter in the Run box. I have tried the Windows
Installer Cleanup Utility and I can't run it because my Windows Installer is
not installed properly! What else can be done? I really don't want to have to
install XP again and risk losing something.
Thank you
S. Ritchey
10 answers Last reply
More about windows installer

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&selm=efEW2IRqEHA.2900%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    "S. Ritchey" <S. Ritchey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98F0BB1D-4F00-42D2-A6C7-1925B16B60CE@microsoft.com...
    I see several others have had the problem of the Windows Installer box
    repeatedly popping up. I have tried to unregister and I get the message that
    the file isn't found when I enter in the Run box. I have tried the Windows
    Installer Cleanup Utility and I can't run it because my Windows Installer is
    not installed properly! What else can be done? I really don't want to have to
    install XP again and risk losing something.
    Thank you
    S. Ritchey

    This is a very technical response! I can get the Event Viewer but, it just
    lists the Source as MsInstaller. I don't see a product code.
    I can't get the Installer Cleanup Util. to work and thus, can't select any
    programs.
    Thank you for your assistance - this is driving me crazy!

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&selm=efEW2IRqEHA.2900%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
    > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    > "S. Ritchey" <S. Ritchey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98F0BB1D-4F00-42D2-A6C7-1925B16B60CE@microsoft.com...
    > I see several others have had the problem of the Windows Installer box
    > repeatedly popping up. I have tried to unregister and I get the message that
    > the file isn't found when I enter in the Run box. I have tried the Windows
    > Installer Cleanup Utility and I can't run it because my Windows Installer is
    > not installed properly! What else can be done? I really don't want to have to
    > install XP again and risk losing something.
    > Thank you
    > S. Ritchey

    Ritche,

    Clear the Event log and then continue working in the system. When the Windows Installer appears, let it run through, so that you can see the conflicting Product name. In addition, check the Event Logs again, one of the entries may give us more information.

    BTW, what's the error message you receive while running MSI cleanup tool?

    --

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&selm=efEW2IRqEHA.2900%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
    > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    > "S. Ritchey" <S. Ritchey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98F0BB1D-4F00-42D2-A6C7-1925B16B60CE@microsoft.com...
    > I see several others have had the problem of the Windows Installer box
    > repeatedly popping up. I have tried to unregister and I get the message that
    > the file isn't found when I enter in the Run box. I have tried the Windows
    > Installer Cleanup Utility and I can't run it because my Windows Installer is
    > not installed properly! What else can be done? I really don't want to have to
    > install XP again and risk losing something.
    > Thank you
    > S. Ritchey

    The error message for the cleanup util says:

    The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.
    This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode or if the Windows
    Installer is not correctly installed.
    Contact your support personnel for assistance.

    I cleared the messages from the Event Viewer. When I went into Internet
    Explorer, the following events showed up:
    Warning 11/8/2004 1:59:43 PM MsiInstaller None 1015 Suanne YOUR-7D00F3DE36
    Warning 11/8/2004 1:59:42 PM MsiInstaller None 1001 NETWORK
    SERVICE YOUR-7D00F3DE36
    There were a total of 40 events - most of them said the same as the first
    line above. A few were the second.
    Thank you.

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > Ritche,
    >
    > Clear the Event log and then continue working in the system. When the Windows Installer appears, let it run through, so that you can see the conflicting Product name. In addition, check the Event Logs again, one of the entries may give us more information.
    >
    > BTW, what's the error message you receive while running MSI cleanup tool?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
    > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    > "S. Ritchey" <SRitchey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D434F00A-5DD9-478C-8F7B-CC39BB5E82BC@microsoft.com...
    > This is a very technical response! I can get the Event Viewer but, it just
    > lists the Source as MsInstaller. I don't see a product code.
    > I can't get the Installer Cleanup Util. to work and thus, can't select any
    > programs.
    > Thank you for your assistance - this is driving me crazy!
    >
    > "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&selm=efEW2IRqEHA.2900%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > > Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
    > > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    > > "S. Ritchey" <S. Ritchey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98F0BB1D-4F00-42D2-A6C7-1925B16B60CE@microsoft.com...
    > > I see several others have had the problem of the Windows Installer box
    > > repeatedly popping up. I have tried to unregister and I get the message that
    > > the file isn't found when I enter in the Run box. I have tried the Windows
    > > Installer Cleanup Utility and I can't run it because my Windows Installer is
    > > not installed properly! What else can be done? I really don't want to have to
    > > install XP again and risk losing something.
    > > Thank you
    > > S. Ritchey

    Also, numerous messages pop up when I go into My Documents and if I click on
    the folders in My Documents.

    "S. Ritchey" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > > > Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
    > > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
    > > > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > > > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    > > > "S. Ritchey" <S. Ritchey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98F0BB1D-4F00-42D2-A6C7-1925B16B60CE@microsoft.com...
    > > > I see several others have had the problem of the Windows Installer box
    > > > repeatedly popping up. I have tried to unregister and I get the message that
    > > > the file isn't found when I enter in the Run box. I have tried the Windows
    > > > Installer Cleanup Utility and I can't run it because my Windows Installer is
    > > > not installed properly! What else can be done? I really don't want to have to
    > > > install XP again and risk losing something.

    "Error 1719. The Windows Installer service could not be accessed" error message when you try to add or remove a program:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315346

    --

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > Ritche,
    >
    > Clear the Event log and then continue working in the system. When the Windows Installer appears, let it run through, so that you can see the conflicting Product name. In addition, check the Event Logs again, one of the entries may give us more information.
    >
    > BTW, what's the error message you receive while running MSI cleanup tool?
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
    > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    > "S. Ritchey" <SRitchey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D434F00A-5DD9-478C-8F7B-CC39BB5E82BC@microsoft.com...
    > This is a very technical response! I can get the Event Viewer but, it just
    > lists the Source as MsInstaller. I don't see a product code.
    > I can't get the Installer Cleanup Util. to work and thus, can't select any
    > programs.
    > Thank you for your assistance - this is driving me crazy!
    >
    > "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    > > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&selm=efEW2IRqEHA.2900%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl
    > >
    > > --
    > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > > Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
    > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
    > > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    > > "S. Ritchey" <S. Ritchey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98F0BB1D-4F00-42D2-A6C7-1925B16B60CE@microsoft.com...
    > > I see several others have had the problem of the Windows Installer box
    > > repeatedly popping up. I have tried to unregister and I get the message that
    > > the file isn't found when I enter in the Run box. I have tried the Windows
    > > Installer Cleanup Utility and I can't run it because my Windows Installer is
    > > not installed properly! What else can be done? I really don't want to have to
    > > install XP again and risk losing something.
    > > Thank you
    > > S. Ritchey

    I did those steps and still have the Windows Installer box popping up. Now,
    however, it gives me an error message which says:
    Setup needs to close MS Money Express 2002 and is unable to do so. Please
    close Money Express {it pops up automatically when you startup}....

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > > > Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
    > > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
    > > > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > > > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    > > > "S. Ritchey" <S. Ritchey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98F0BB1D-4F00-42D2-A6C7-1925B16B60CE@microsoft.com...
    > > > I see several others have had the problem of the Windows Installer box
    > > > repeatedly popping up. I have tried to unregister and I get the message that
    > > > the file isn't found when I enter in the Run box. I have tried the Windows
    > > > Installer Cleanup Utility and I can't run it because my Windows Installer is
    > > > not installed properly! What else can be done? I really don't want to have to
    > > > install XP again and risk losing something.

    How to troubleshoot Windows Installer-related issues that may occur when you install or remove Money:

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > > > Windows XP Shell/User
    > > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    > > > Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
    > > > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
    > > > The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
    > > > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
    > > > "S. Ritchey" <S. Ritchey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98F0BB1D-4F00-42D2-A6C7-1925B16B60CE@microsoft.com...
    > > > I see several others have had the problem of the Windows Installer box
    > > > repeatedly popping up. I have tried to unregister and I get the message that
    > > > the file isn't found when I enter in the Run box. I have tried the Windows
    > > > Installer Cleanup Utility and I can't run it because my Windows Installer is
    > > > not installed properly! What else can be done? I really don't want to have to
    > > > install XP again and risk losing something.

    Thank you so much, Ramesh! My computer is finally working normally!
    I appreciate your patience.
    S. Ritchey

    You're welcome Ritchey.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > How to troubleshoot Windows Installer-related issues that may occur when you install or remove Money:

    <snip>

Windows Installer Microsoft Windows XP