maximil

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

Sorry if this question have been posed before... I am new here.
I want to have a new PC with the newest hardware (Intel Core2Duo E6600 2,6 Ghz and Abit AB9 + XFX GF 7950GTX 520M 1GB DDR + 2GB memory).
My reseller says that I can only have 1 hard disk, but I like to have one disk for Flightsimulation and a second for GMAX design and the other common software.
How to do that ? It's all so confusing.

Greetz. José.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Well the seller doesn't know what he sell.

Specs of your mobo is :

CPU

* Support Intel Core 2 Duo Pentium® & Pentium® D processors with1066/800MHz FSB
* Support Intel® 2006FMB Conroe CPU

Chipset

* Intel® P965 / ICH8 Chipset

Memory

* 4 X 240-pin DIMM sockets support max. memory capacity 8GB
* Supports Dual channel DDR2 800/667/533 Un-buffered Non-ECC memory

LAN

* On board 10/100/1000M PCI controller

Audio

* On board 7.1 CH HD Audio CODEC
* Supports auto jack sensing and optical S/PDIF Out

Expansion Slots

* 1 x PCI-E X16
* 2 x PCI-E X1
* 2 x PCI

Internal I/O

* 1 x Floppy Port supports up to 2.88 MB
* 1 x Ultra DMA 100/66/33 IDE connector
* 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connector
* 3 x USB header (support 4 ports)
* 1 x FP-Audio, 1 x CD-In

Back Panel I/O

* 1 x PS/2 Keyboard, 1 x PS/2 Mouse
* ABIT Silent OTES™
* 1 x S/P DIF In, 1 x S/P DIF Out
* 7.1 CH Audio connector (Front, Line-in, MIC-in, Center/Subwoofer, Surround, Rear Surround)
* 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x RJ-45 LAN connector

Serial ATA

* 4 x SATA 3Gb/s through Intel® ICH8
* 2 x SATA 3Gb/s through JMicron® JMB363 support up to 0,1 ,JBOD RAID function

ABIT Engineered

* ABIT SoftMenu™ Technology
* ABIT μGuru™ Technology
* ABIT Silent OTES™ Technology

Form Factor

* ATX form factor 305 x 245mm
* PCB Color: Orange

RoHS

* 100% lead-free process and RoHS Compliancy

You got 6 SATA ports and 1 IDE port. So it's mean you can have 8 Harddisks if you want (6 SATA Harddisks and 2 IDE Harddisks).

0zzy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
He is probably trying to Fit an IDE HDD. Since u have only 1 IDE port which will be shared by HDD and CD/DVD, u can only have 1 IDE HDD. But since u have 6 SATA ports, ask ur reseller to put in 2 SATA drives.

maximil

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

I have a second question: I have been told that the new hardware have two possibilities available... "big" connectors for the old HD's and "small" connectors for the new HD's. Is that true ?
If so, I can use my "old" HD in the new PC and run the software installed on them.

Regards. José.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Big / small connector ?

I supposed you're trying to say the difference between IDE HDD and SATA HDD.
IDE HDD has a 40 pins connector. Because of there are 40 pins the connector cable head become "big".
SATA HDD has only 4 pins. so connector head and cable size is more smaller.

The production of IDE HDDs still continue until now.

Your IDE HDD will still able to run on your new PC as long your mainboard has IDE connector. In your case, yes, you will be able to run your "old" HDD in ABIT AB9 as long as your HDD aren't dead.

maximil

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

Have now my new PC. The framerates are fantastic.
- Abit AB9
- Intel Core2Duo E6600 2,6 Ghz
- 2 x DDR2 1024 mb PC6400-800
- 2 x Seagate 250GB S-ATAII
- XFX GF 7950GTX 520M 1GB DDR3
- Antec Sonata II
- NEC ND4550 Dual layer DVD-RW
- Apacer Cardreader 15 in 1

Framerates Aerosoft LFPG Charles de Gaule + PSS B757-200 + FSMeteo = 36-39fps. The same result for my own scenery EBOS2006.
Framerates locked on 40fps.

Happy now. José.

maximil

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

Yes indeed, nice weather for the month of September here in Belgium.
No need to use FSMeteo... no clouds, lol... even in Germany.
Climate is changing by global upwarming of the earth.

Greetz. José.

maximil

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

Fine... Of course everyone can test my free scenery: general scenery, moving ground vehicles and AI. It's rather a heavy scenery due to the sharp textures, de smooth curves of the taxilines and the special nightlighting. You can use it as a reference for testing. For FS2002 or FS2004.
As in a near future many simmers will buy/upgrade their PC in order to run FSX and Vista, it is necessary to gather as much information as possible.
When the time comes, perhaps an update of the scenery is needed and enhancements will be done.... because a scenery is never finished. I may remind you that this is my first scenery of an airport.
You can visit/download the EBOS2006update scenery on http://www.users.skynet.be/maximil or direct to the download page on http://www.users.skynet.be/maximil/Design.htm .

Have fun. José.

maximil

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

Encounter some difficulties. I am not able to choose the second hard disc in the main display (not via the BIOS). Otherwise I can open this HD via My Computer. The problem occured from the beginning I had my new PC.
My reseller who try to solve the problem, has the same difficulty to resolve the problem.
Above you can read the configuration of my new PC.
Has/had someone the same problem ? What's the solution ? What is corrupt ?

Regards. José.

maximil

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

Yes, the reseller placed two lines on a page (not on the destop with the other pictograms and wallpaper), let's say the choice between HD1 and HD2 so that I should not open the BIOS (this BIOS is rather complicated at first sight, but I would manage that with a little bit explication).

Greetz. José.

maximil

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

Windows XP Pro is installed on each HD.
Perhaps a fault is made, I can't control the reseller, hà... 8O
So I am waiting and waiting...

Greetz. José.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
You just don't get enough on one Windows XP ?

It was you who ask this OS installed on each HDD to the reseller or it was the reseller initiative ?

Don't you ever think about RAID-ing those two HDDs to gain significant performance since you really need performance for your scenery ?

In general new BIOS has a facility to choose from where you must boot. If your BIOS support this facility, when you just turn on the PC, in the POST screen there will be a messages like "Press F8 to choose Boot Selection" or something like that.
With this facility, you don't need to go each time to BIOS, you just need to press F8 (or other key as BIOS assign) and choose and it will not harm your BIOS or anything.
But if you have two identical HDD, would be little bit difficult to see which one have to boot.

Other things is with software somekind called "bootloader" or similar. Try to google it.
With this kind of software you can install so many OSes you like, same or different OSes. In your case you just need to install it in one of your XP, then it will search if there is any other OS is installed then it will configured your boot record and give a user interface.

maximil

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

It's weird... I like to have two independan HD's with on each HD Windows XP Pro. The reseller things that he should install XP SP2 version in order to work coorectly... either only on one HD or maybe on each HD.. He doesn't things there is a hardware problem.
Be reinstall I will loose all what I already have installed (scenery, FS9, OpenOffice, ... ... ... :?

Greetz. José.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
If you can load Win Xp correctly and you can see another HD through My computer or Windows explorer and everything runs fine, so it's mean there's no problem on hardware.

I think the problem is lying on the page where you have to choose the HD1 or HD2. The link of destination is not correct or assigned drive letter is not correct.
Well, lets hope that your reseller can solve the problem.

Have you backed up your data in case of something wrong ?

maximil

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

I think the problem is lying on the page where you have to choose the HD1 or HD2. The link of destination is not correct or assigned drive letter is not correct.

I just asked him about this, but he has seen nothing wrong in the link.

All very strange. I have backups... and so it will be for the third time I will install all the needed software and programs again. :(

Greetz. José.

OldGuy64

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Have you considered using a "mobile rack" and two (2) carriers ---- one for each hard drive ??? When you wish to use hard drive #1, insert the cartridge with hard drive #1, and boot the system. When you wish to use hard drive #2, insert the cartridge with hard drive #2, and boot the system. In this way you can have one computer have multiple personalities!!! ---- even different operating systems!!! I have three mobile racks in one of my systems. In this way I can use IDE drives or SATA drives -- at MY discretion. You can even set up one drive strictly for web surfing, keep a spare copy of it, and GHOST it over to another drive. If it gets hit by any form of malware --- just GHOST the original back to it and carry on!!

The mobile rack has been a true lifesaver for me!! --- GOOD LUCK !!!

Try it - You'll like it!!!

NeonDeon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Hi,

Windows XP Pro is installed on each HD.
Perhaps a fault is made, I can't control the reseller, hà... 8O
So I am waiting and waiting...

Greetz. José.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here... Either I'm missing something here or your over thinking this way too much.

Why would you want to load XP two times in one computer? All you need to do is just install the XP on your main drive, and just install the second hard drive, or even a 3rd hard drive if you have a high powered Power supply unit? That may be why your are having problems? And make sure you load service pack 2 from the very start! use the 2nd or 3rd hard drives as storge or for programs. You main HD if it's just going to be for XP can be a small cheap HD about 20 - 40 Gigs..

In your Bios you just want to setup which HD you want to load first, and that would be the drive with XP on it. If you have VISTA then you might think about installing that on a second HD since you will not be able to go back to XP.

maximil

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Hi,

I went to the reseller and the person who works on it will be there tomorrow.
The PC was configurated halfway. It showed also "miss the NTLDR. "

I like to have two independant HD's in order to work safe on scenery (in FS9 and FS8 and on the second HD eventually Vista and FSX).

Well, hope I can tell you more tomorrow.

Greetz. José.