walter

I'm running XP Pro, SP1 with a cable ISP. I also have a wireless network,
that's used only occasionally for a laptop. My primary computer is connected
to the router by ethernet cable. In the last few days, my 3rd-party firewall
has suddenly gone bonkers over "An application named NWLINK2 IPX Protocol
Driver (file name nwlnkipx.sys) has been blocked from accessing the
network." I haven't made any changes that I'm aware of, but I'm sure I did
something, just don't know what. I read several MS articles regarding the
Microsoft NWLINK IPX/SPX-Compatible Transport, but don't really have a clue
what they're talking about. I'm not aware of any Novell applications running
on my computer.

My LAN connection properties have checks beside (1) NWLink NetBIOS and (2)
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol, but don't really know
why. I would appreciate some help understanding what this is and why it
needs to connect to the Internet. The blocked application doesn't seem to be
causing any problems, but I can't figure out what changed or why my firewall
is suddenly blocking it automatically. I'm considering un-checking these
network connection properties. Is that a bad thing? Thanks for your help.

Please take this question to the windowsxp.network_web newsgroup.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User