can i use my hard disk as pc memory

nidheesh

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
do anyone know about using harddisk as memory i heard about a connector i dont know is it true or not can any one help me[/b]

drcroubie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
you mean use a harddisk through an adaptor into a RAM Slot?
don't think one exists, and doubt it ever will, harddisks are too slow.

And you can use disk space as psuedo-ram, it's called swap (windows uses anywhere on a disk, linux uses a dedicated partition for it)

You can, however, use RAM as a harddisk. like on of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815168001
(perhaps this is the "adaptor" you're thinking of...)

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
HDD is a MEMORY. The way they works are nearly the same. They memorizing all your files as bit and they wait instructions to accessing. Is just the material and size are different. In RAM, no power everything is gone. in HDD no power files still there.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
... Windows has a paging file which is where they start using the HDD to store what would normally be stored in memory, but its ineffective and generally slows your system to a crawl...

No point in using your hdd as memory anyways, otherwise we'd all have 300 gig of memory these days...

NeonDeon

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Never heard of it, and it is out there I would never use it. It's would slow down your system. How would you even boot your system?

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
you mean use a harddisk through an adaptor into a RAM Slot?
don't think one exists, and doubt it ever will, harddisks are too slow.

And you can use disk space as psuedo-ram, it's called swap (windows uses anywhere on a disk, linux uses a dedicated partition for it)

You can, however, use RAM as a harddisk. like on of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815168001
(perhaps this is the "adaptor" you're thinking of...)

linux uses swap partitions..and win uses page file ...... virtual memory...
as for reverse app ....using RAM (as we know it static RAM) ... as HHD is posible through IRAM......

theoretically it`s posible but practically......hmmm..