c12ds release, for those who haven't noticed :)

FUZZIE

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

To those of you not watching the rest of the community (I know of a
couple of people who only read the newsgroup, as dead as it is..), the
Creatures 1 to Docking Station conversion is finally out and works
wonderfully, details over at:

http://www.gamewaredevelopment.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3315

There are a few bugs, but a patch is on the way, including the rest of
the breeds..

FUZZIE

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

Heh, my only contribution was to host the files and to point out a few
issues. :) It is very cool though.

FUZZIE

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

It's lovely to see some life here :) I might even start opening my
real newsgroup client again (I've been using google news, which is fine
when there's only very occasional posts, but not so useful when there's
actual activity..).

Creatures 3 runs fine under XP if you run it as an administrator user.
:)

I must admit I was foolish enough to go buy a copy of The Albian Years
when I lost my copy of Creatures 2 (I seem to have *two* of the bundled
norndolls, though), and it's depressingly obvious that they didn't test
it at all (the Genetics Kit thing is just ridiculous), which I don't
really feel is acceptable for a product I paid for..

Don's work on somewhat fixing it is looking hopeful, but she's rather
busy with other interesting projects too.

And, as far as I'm aware, beyond the (seemingly quickly-done, given the
issues) re-releases, they're not working on the games at all nowadays.
Certainly they've said there will be no more add-ons for the existing
games, which is a pity.

They've licensed the C3/DS/CV source code to a company called Kutoka
who are porting them to Mac and re-releasing them as combination packs
(Exodus/Village) in the US, but Gameware have said that they don't know
whether add-ons will be compatible (Kutoka are a children's publisher,
so I doubt the community would be a priority). However, apparently they
have been updating the DS server(s) in preperation for this, which is a
good thing (the current one is terribly unreliable and dies whenever
more than a few dozen users are online).

Hopefully the influx of Mac users and people able to easily obtain the
games in the US and Canada will make the community a bit more lively
again.

There are a few big community things I'm somewhat involved with coming
up which I hope will get people more interested, too. At least two of
which you can work out from poking around sites like the Creatures Wiki
(http://creatures.wikicities.com/) :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

"fuzzie" <fuzzie@gmail.com> wrote in news:1124122470.039801.136900
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> To those of you not watching the rest of the community (I know of a
> couple of people who only read the newsgroup, as dead as it is..), the
> Creatures 1 to Docking Station conversion is finally out and works
> wonderfully, details over at:

LOL --not as dead as it used to be... =}

> http://www.gamewaredevelopment.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3315
>
> There are a few bugs, but a patch is on the way, including the rest of
> the breeds..

Ooh! thanks for the heads-up.I owna copy of C3 (not sure if it works with
XP) and had a DS account once with a set of those special DS norns given
as a gift of thanks from CL, but alas all has been lost in a hdd failure.

I'm very confuzzled when it comes to developments over the last five
years. I do wish they would fix that problem with the folders (TAY) being
put in My Documents. I'm afraid my note there about it may have been a
bit bitchy and ungrateful-sounding since I really am disappointed. But I
am grateful that they are still working on the games.

That said, it looks like some very good things are happening for DS, and I
congratulate them heartily.

--
x0tix: "x0tix extrmly oogh! Eat toy!"
Malveka: "I'm convinced now that they used YOUR genome as a basis for the

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

> Nice of you. :) My purple one is currently sitting on my laptop, looking
> somewhat abused, with a green one hiding in a box in a shelf somewhere.

Ooh, a green one, where did that one come from? I have two purples and
a brown still sitting in my computer room.

Chris.
--
http://radio.weblogs.com/0102385

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

"fuzzie" <fuzzie@gmail.com> wrote in news:1124209679.295885.15740
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> It's lovely to see some life here :) I might even start opening my
> real newsgroup client again (I've been using google news, which is fine
> when there's only very occasional posts, but not so useful when there's
> actual activity..).
>
> Creatures 3 runs fine under XP if you run it as an administrator user.
>:)
>
> I must admit I was foolish enough to go buy a copy of The Albian Years
> when I lost my copy of Creatures 2 (I seem to have *two* of the bundled
> norndolls, though), and it's depressingly obvious that they didn't test
> it at all (the Genetics Kit thing is just ridiculous), which I don't
> really feel is acceptable for a product I paid for..

I hate to add up the amounts I have paid for C2 games so that I can have
at least one working copy. lol That last one (TAY) cost me over $27US!

> Don's work on somewhat fixing it is looking hopeful, but she's rather
> busy with other interesting projects too.

Don makes me jealous! *grin* She contributes so enormously to the CC in a
way that I wish I could. That said, I told her I would love to help her if
I can.

> And, as far as I'm aware, beyond the (seemingly quickly-done, given the
> issues) re-releases, they're not working on the games at all nowadays.
> Certainly they've said there will be no more add-ons for the existing
> games, which is a pity.

As long as we (the CC) are able to keep making add-ons for them... IS
there an SDK for the games available?

> They've licensed the C3/DS/CV source code to a company called Kutoka
> who are porting them to Mac and re-releasing them as combination packs
> (Exodus/Village) in the US, but Gameware have said that they don't know
> whether add-ons will be compatible (Kutoka are a children's publisher,
> so I doubt the community would be a priority). However, apparently they
> have been updating the DS server(s) in preperation for this, which is a
> good thing (the current one is terribly unreliable and dies whenever
> more than a few dozen users are online).
>
> Hopefully the influx of Mac users and people able to easily obtain the
> games in the US and Canada will make the community a bit more lively
> again.

I hope so too.

> There are a few big community things I'm somewhat involved with coming
> up which I hope will get people more interested, too. At least two of
> which you can work out from poking around sites like the Creatures Wiki
> (http://creatures.wikicities.com/) :)

Having a good look around there now, thanks.. Are you responsible for
this creation? Kudos to you! =`)

I have no idea if the meandering post in the following link is going to be
helpful or not to Liam in compiling a history of the CC, but I hope it
will be:
< http://www.gamewaredevelopment.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=51396
#post51396 >
If anyone can add to the thread I would be grateful. I never could give up
my role as the Creatures Community Advocate. =`}

--

xOtix wrote:

> I hate to add up the amounts I have paid for C2 games so that I can have
> at least one working copy. lol That last one (TAY) cost me over $27US!

Yikes. There are lots of copies of all the games relatively cheaply on
eBay here, which is nice. I occasionally glance at copies of the
Playstation games there, because it'd be nice to have a *complete* set
of games, but then I realise that I'm just being silly. :)

> Don makes me jealous! *grin* She contributes so enormously to the CC
in a
> way that I wish I could. That said, I told her I would love to help
her if
> I can.

Yes, and she's planning even more useful things. :)

> As long as we (the CC) are able to keep making add-ons for them... IS
> there an SDK for the games available?

All the CDN tools (Genetics Kit, CAOS Tool, etc) are available for free
nowadays (they still make you type in a serial number, but Gameware
provide one on their CDN pages for each tool). And various community
members are working on some nice cross-platform tools, too (a lot of us
are using Linux or Mac, nowadays).

> Having a good look around there now, thanks.. Are you responsible for
> this creation? Kudos to you! =`)

It's mostly GreenReaper's work, at least organisationally, although lots
of people (including myself) have helped. It's an insanely useful
reference for finding things, certainly.

> I have no idea if the meandering post in the following link is going
to be
> helpful or not to Liam in compiling a history of the CC, but I hope it
> will be:
<snip>

Well, it's certainly interesting .. the wiki is becoming quite a useful
resource, history-wise (take a look at the 'History' article, and there
are links to there for things like the Slink issues), and I'd encourage
you to contribute to that. :)

(tsk, I have no signature file. must fix!)

> xOtix wrote:
>
> > I hate to add up the amounts I have paid for C2 games so that I can
> > have at least one working copy. lol That last one (TAY) cost me
> > over $27US!
>
> Yikes. There are lots of copies of all the games relatively cheaply on
> eBay here, which is nice. I occasionally glance at copies of the
> Playstation games there, because it'd be nice to have a *complete* set
> of games, but then I realise that I'm just being silly. :)

Well I got the first one from the so-called Early Adoption Program, which
also provided the second one which was identicalto the first one, even
though we screamed ourselves hoarse (if fingers can be hoarse) that it was
broken. lol
The third, fourth, and fifth copies I bought in stores as I came across
them. Oh! and there was the copy I bought when I heard CL was going under.
So.. um... eight copies. Some still in their shrink wrap. And I also had
two blueberries (only one was brown, iirc)-sent one to Lis who for some
reason never got one (UK version). The other is still in the unopened box.

I bought the Albian Years from Gameware because I wanted to support the
people who took over the software. (sentimental idiot-lol)

I should check and see if the game will run with the launcher.exe when I
have one of those old C2 versions in the CD drive. ;`}

> > Don makes me jealous! *grin* She contributes so enormously to the
> > CC
> in a
> > way that I wish I could. That said, I told her I would love to help
> her if
> > I can.
>
> Yes, and she's planning even more useful things. :)

Kewl! Glad to hear it. Someone should pay that woman.

> > As long as we (the CC) are able to keep making add-ons for them...
> > IS there an SDK for the games available?
>
> All the CDN tools (Genetics Kit, CAOS Tool, etc) are available for
> free nowadays (they still make you type in a serial number, but
> Gameware provide one on their CDN pages for each tool). And various
> community members are working on some nice cross-platform tools, too
> (a lot of us are using Linux or Mac, nowadays).

Oh! I need to go have a much closer look then. Thanks for the Info.

> > Having a good look around there now, thanks.. Are you responsible
> > for this creation? Kudos to you! =`)
>
> It's mostly GreenReaper's work, at least organisationally, although
> lots of people (including myself) have helped. It's an insanely useful
> reference for finding things, certainly.

Well I went in and added a bunch of names to the CC people list but I
didn't know what I was doing so I probably screwed it up. LOL (If so, my
apologies, GreenReaper!)

> > I have no idea if the meandering post in the following link is going
> to be
> > helpful or not to Liam in compiling a history of the CC, but I hope
> > it will be:
> <snip>
>
> Well, it's certainly interesting .. the wiki is becoming quite a
> useful resource, history-wise (take a look at the 'History' article,
> and there are links to there for things like the Slink issues), and
> I'd encourage you to contribute to that. :)

I definitely will do so. Thanks again!

> (tsk, I have no signature file. must fix!)

*giggles*

--
x0tix: "x0tix xtrmly oogh! Eat toy!"
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/agc-toc.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c1faq.htm >

xOtix wrote:
> two blueberries (only one was brown, iirc)-sent one to Lis who for some
> reason never got one (UK version). The other is still in the unopened box.

Nice of you. :) My purple one is currently sitting on my laptop, looking
somewhat abused, with a green one hiding in a box in a shelf somewhere.

> I should check and see if the game will run with the launcher.exe when I
> have one of those old C2 versions in the CD drive. ;`}

If I had a copy of original C2 I'd try it myself, but, alas, I have no
idea where my copy went.. I hadn't used it in years, so it could be
anywhere by now. Do share your results :)

(I wonder if the The Albian Years version of C2 would work with a
launcher.exe from an older C2? That would be rather useful, you'd get
the World Switcher and the no-CD compatibility but it'd still run on XP..)

http://www.gamewaredevelopment.co.uk/cdn/ :)

> Well I went in and added a bunch of names to the CC people list but I
> didn't know what I was doing so I probably screwed it up. LOL (If so, my
> apologies, GreenReaper!)

I'm sure he'll be grateful, it's difficult remembering who was around
since there are so few oldbies around..

--
fuzzie <fuzzie@gmail.com>
"Reality is just this little memory in the back of my mind."

> xOtix wrote:
>> two blueberries (only one was brown, iirc)-sent one to Lis who for
>> some reason never got one (UK version). The other is still in the
>> unopened box.
>
> Nice of you. :) My purple one is currently sitting on my laptop,
> looking somewhat abused, with a green one hiding in a box in a shelf
> somewhere.

Wonder what they are worth on E-bay these days...? ;`)

>> I should check and see if the game will run with the launcher.exe
>> when I have one of those old C2 versions in the CD drive. ;`}
>
> If I had a copy of original C2 I'd try it myself, but, alas, I have no
> idea where my copy went.. I hadn't used it in years, so it could be
> anywhere by now. Do share your results :)
>
> (I wonder if the The Albian Years version of C2 would work with a
> launcher.exe from an older C2? That would be rather useful, you'd get
> the World Switcher and the no-CD compatibility but it'd still run on
> XP..)

Hmmm... Worth digging a copy out and having a look.. =`) Will try it out
tomorrow (if I find an old copy --I think most of them are in storage
right now.)

>> Oh! I need to go have a much closer look then. Thanks for the Info.
>
> http://www.gamewaredevelopment.co.uk/cdn/ :)

Thanks! Downloaded a bunch of stuff (with serials) but still. couldn't.
find. the. Egg Maker. *cries*

And there is one on the Creatures Wiki attributed to JayD but I think
there is some confusion there. Jay made a COB he called "Lay That Damned
Egg!" or something like that, that forced a pregnant norn to lay a stuck
egg. I doubt very much if he made a utility called Egg Maker --that was
made by CL and offered on the CDN.

>> Well I went in and added a bunch of names to the CC people list but I
>> didn't know what I was doing so I probably screwed it up. LOL (If so,
>> my apologies, GreenReaper!)
>
> I'm sure he'll be grateful, it's difficult remembering who was around
> since there are so few oldbies around..

*nods* okies... he can let me know anyway. =`)

--

"chris.double@gmail.com" <chris.double@gmail.com> wrote in

>> somewhat abused, with a green one hiding in a box in a shelf somewhere.
>
> Ooh, a green one, where did that one come from? I have two purples and
> a brown still sitting in my computer room.
>
> Chris.

Quite a collection you got there Chris. lol

--
x0tix: "x0tix xtrmly oogh! Eat toy!"
Malveka: "I'm convinced now that they used YOUR genome as a basis for the
norns. 8^) "
....and still there after all these years, an historical glimpse of
Creatures nostalgia (most external links broken):
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/agc-toc.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c1faq.htm >
< http://www.bconnex.net/~quix0tix/c2faq.htm >

Archived from groups: alt.games.creatures (More info?)

Fuzzie <fuzzie@gmail.com> wrote in

> xOtix wrote:
>
>> I should check and see if the game will run with the launcher.exe
>> when I have one of those old C2 versions in the CD drive. ;`}
>
> If I had a copy of original C2 I'd try it myself, but, alas, I have no
> idea where my copy went.. I hadn't used it in years, so it could be
> anywhere by now. Do share your results :)
>
> (I wonder if the The Albian Years version of C2 would work with a
> launcher.exe from an older C2? That would be rather useful, you'd get
> the World Switcher and the no-CD compatibility but it'd still run on
> XP..)

Heh I opened one of my original C2 CDs and nope and nope. (no launcher)
Guess I'll have to open my C2 Deluxe and try that.

(sigh) (runs to see if some kind soul put a no-cd thingy on GCW. --
Shhh...)

--

emygination wrote:
> Why, yes, that was a long time ago. Heh. :)

I hadn't seen my norndolls for years before a few months ago, when my
boyfriend was searching through stuff I'd packed away yeeeears ago last
time I moved .. at the bottom of one box was a the purple norndoll, and
he asked what it was and I was all 'wheeeee', having thought I'd lost it
forever. :)

I mean, </random>.