Layer 2 'Ping'

Hello,

I'd like to write a small connectivity utility which will
_craft_ then _pack_ and _send_ an ethernet frame.

First: Im using MSWin32

Second: Is there already a utility for sending a Layer 2 'ping'
without a TCP/IP stack loaded?

Third: Can the DL-DATA-ACK function be utilized for this?

Fourth: I'd like to use Perl for this, but ive had some trouble
finding an appropriate 'module' to accomplish this.

On either freshmeat or sourceforge, there is a "linkloop" project that
is a linux implementation of the HP-UX linkloop functionality. It is
a layer two "ping" utility that has been in use on HP-UX for years and
years. If you license sutiably, you could leverage that port for your
needs, and have some decent assurance of interoperability with at
least two other platforms :)

rick jones

Rick Jones <rick.jones2@hp.com> wrote in message-id:
<smoOe.10722$167.6485@news.cpqcorp.net>

>On either freshmeat or sourceforge, there is a "linkloop" project that
>is a linux implementation of the HP-UX linkloop functionality. It is
>a layer two "ping" utility that has been in use on HP-UX for years and
>years. If you license sutiably, you could leverage that port for your
>needs, and have some decent assurance of interoperability with at
>least two other platforms :)
>
>rick jones
>--
>Process shall set you free from the need for rational thought.
>these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
>feel free to post, OR email to rick.jones2 in hp.com but NOT BOTH...

Thank you very much =) this is a great bit of information.
I am now looking forward to parsing through the docs.