How to release IP in XP Home edition

Aurelio

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2004

I know this is XP Pro group, but i cannot find XP home. Is there a way to
release IP address in XP home. If ypu try IPCONFIG it will say "COMMAND NOT
FOUND"?? What is going on? Where is IPONFIG?

This group is for Windows XP, both Pro and Home.

ipconfig.exe should exist on XP Home.
It should be in these two folders >>>
C:\WINDOWS\system32
and
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

There may be domething wrong with Environment Variables.

Open a command prompt...
Start | Run | Type: cmd | OK |
When the command window opens, type:

path

Hit the Enter key.

You should see these and maybe more...

PATH=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem

Both of these commands should work.

IPCONFIG /release

IPCONFIG /renew

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:FF90426E-2866-4236-860A-099821D0D4D3@microsoft.com,
aurelio <aurelio@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I know this is XP Pro group, but i cannot find XP home. Is there a
> way to release IP address in XP home. If ypu try IPCONFIG it will say
> "COMMAND NOT FOUND"?? What is going on? Where is IPONFIG?

Try this, START/RUN "CMD" to open a command line window.
Then type ipconfig /? to see all the ipconfig commands and
switches..

"aurelio" <aurelio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
|I know this is XP Pro group, but i cannot find XP home. Is
there a way to
| release IP address in XP home. If ypu try IPCONFIG it will
say "COMMAND NOT
| FOUND"?? What is going on? Where is IPONFIG?

Aurelio

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2004

I said I did that already. There is no IPCONFIG. "COMMAND NOT FOUND" is what
I got. This may happen if you are logged in as regular user but I am logged
in as admin and still same massage.

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> Try this, START/RUN "CMD" to open a command line window.
> Then type ipconfig /? to see all the ipconfig commands and
> switches..

> "aurelio" <aurelio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> |I know this is XP Pro group, but i cannot find XP home. Is
> there a way to
> | release IP address in XP home. If ypu try IPCONFIG it will
> say "COMMAND NOT
> | FOUND"?? What is going on? Where is IPONFIG?

"aurelio" <aurelio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I know this is XP Pro group, but i cannot find XP home. Is there a way to
> release IP address in XP home. If ypu try IPCONFIG it will say "COMMAND
NOT
> FOUND"?? What is going on? Where is IPONFIG?

It's possible that the command has been deleted from your system.

Yes, ipconfig is the command to release IP addresses, with the /release
switch. It should probably be in the windows\system32 directory.

Do a search for ipconfig.* and see what you get.

HTH
-pk

bill

GO to this site and at the bottom of the list, download "Wntipcfg.exe"
I has other files in the program. only necessary to click on the .exe file
to run, not in the start/run button.

"Test User" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
> "aurelio" <aurelio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I know this is XP Pro group, but i cannot find XP home. Is there a way
> > release IP address in XP home. If ypu try IPCONFIG it will say "COMMAND
> NOT
> > FOUND"?? What is going on? Where is IPONFIG?
>
> It's possible that the command has been deleted from your system.
>
> Yes, ipconfig is the command to release IP addresses, with the /release
> switch. It should probably be in the windows\system32 directory.
>
> Do a search for ipconfig.* and see what you get.
>
> HTH
> -pk

bill

OOps here is the site http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/default.asp
"Bill" <k5ofy@arrl.net> wrote in message
> GO to this site and at the bottom of the list, download "Wntipcfg.exe"
> I has other files in the program. only necessary to click on the .exe
file
> to run, not in the start/run button.
>
> "Test User" <test@dev.null> wrote in message
> > "aurelio" <aurelio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I know this is XP Pro group, but i cannot find XP home. Is there a way
> > > release IP address in XP home. If ypu try IPCONFIG it will say
"COMMAND
> > NOT
> > > FOUND"?? What is going on? Where is IPONFIG?
> >
> > It's possible that the command has been deleted from your system.
> >
> > Yes, ipconfig is the command to release IP addresses, with the /release
> > switch. It should probably be in the windows\system32 directory.
> >
> > Do a search for ipconfig.* and see what you get.
> >
> > HTH
> > -pk

Start Run CMD, then type ipconfig /? to see a list of the
commands.