Sign in with
Your question

Will my x1900xtx overheat? ...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 13, 2006 11:25:59 AM

Hey! I ordered a new computer yesterday. (parts below) and Ive been reading up on the XTX and now I'm finding out it gets really hot.. Will the case with its 2x80mm fans be able to cope? I also heard you can change the fansettings on the graphicscard with an ATI program, making them spin faster, dont really care about soundlevels, just dont want my new card to burn to a crisp.. Is there any cheap way of making sure It wont get too hot? Like buying additional fans? And where would you place them on the case in that case.

Case : Apevia X-Cruiser, Black with Windows,2x80 mm Blue LED-Fans (Without PSU)

Newegg
Official Site

PSU : Hiper PSU ATX 580W Black, 120mm Fan, 4xSATA, 2XPCI-E, 20/24pin

Official Site

Mobo : Asus P5B DLX/WIFI-AP, P965, Socket-775, ATX, 2xGbLAN, SATAII, Firewire, PCI-Ex16

Newegg
Official Site

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 4MB, BOXED w/fan

Newegg
Official Site

Memory : Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5 Kit w/two matched CM2X1024A-6400 Dimm's

Newegg
Official Site

Graphicscard : Sapphire Radeon X1900XTX 512MB GDDR3, PCI-Express,ViVo,Dual-DVI-I,Full-Retail
Newegg
Official Site

Hdd : Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
Newegg

More about : x1900xtx overheat

September 13, 2006 12:21:25 PM

The stock cooler on the x1900xtx blows out the back of the second slot the card occupies. Your 80mm fans won't even be used to cool the video card. It'll be fine.

The stock cooler is loud, but very effective.
September 13, 2006 12:31:03 PM

download and install ATI Tool 0.25 beta and reset the fan speeds,I have mine set at 50%,temp in the tool tray and set to come on on startup,doesnt go above 55'c while gaming.

of course this is until I install my ZalmanVF-900-cu cooler on it...
Related resources
September 13, 2006 7:26:19 PM

Proper cooling (air flow) is quite vital for any modern graphics card these days - especially the X1900XTX.

With ATX spec cases (or at least the intent of ATX spec), cool air is sucked in from the front bottom of the case and then expelled from the rear top fan. Basic science ~ hot air rises.

What you want, is unobstructed air flow into the case, seeing that in most of the scenarios the graphics card - in this case a X1900XTX - will utilize the inflow of air and then expel it. The more cool air available, the better and one can actually see a 4-5C difference by just using a proper, well thought out system. You can actually go further, and install a second 80mm fan just after the HDD bay and direct it at a angle towards the card. This will also add proper cooling to the voltage regulator.

BUT, no matter how good airflow is directed, the noise can become irritating. Best to have a look at 3rd party coolers. Toms had a review recently on all the major contenders for X1900XTX cooling. I'm too lazy to post the link, but you should be able to find easily. I'd reccomend the Arctic Cooling Accelero X2.
September 13, 2006 7:43:22 PM

What the heck:

VGA Heat Pipe Cooler Roundup

And then some more:

Previously posted
So, to cure your problem, head to guru3d.com and get ATi Tray Tools. 1. Download and install
2. Right click the new smaller ATI logo in your task bar
3. Go to hardware -> overclocking settings
4. in the new menu mark the "load selected profile at start up" and "restore after suspend" boxes in the profile field - click save as and insert what you like
5. select the fan tab and mark the include in profile box
6. in the edit automatic fan control field, adjust your values similar to the following:
TEMP Fan Speed %
0C 27%
55C 32%
60C 45%
70C 64%*
75C 68%*
80C 73%
85C 82%
90C 100%
The * denoted where I found high temps to be controlled the best with 64-68% fan speed. Note - you can play around with these values aswell according to the amount of blood coming out of your ears due to the loud noise.
7. Select Save as again in the profile section of the fan tab, and click OK.
8. Temp will now be lower at the cost of noise.
9. Then, when you want to ask for an alternative for the noise, have a look at the Arctic Cooling Accelero X2
September 13, 2006 8:04:49 PM

From the look of your case, you may be able to swap out the rear 80mm fan for a 120mm. This may come in handy if you choose to use a 3rd party cooler like the Accelero X2, which blows heat from the video card into the case. The increased amount of exhaust air facilitated by the larger 120mm fan would make up for the heat directed into the case.
September 13, 2006 8:07:04 PM

Thanks a bunch! XD
My current computer utilizes an oh.. 500mm fan? :X
It's so crappy I gotta put a FLOORFAN next to it. and blow at full speed INTO the open case or it dies. >_>

I dont think I'll be that annoyed by the noise of this graphicscard fan. XD

I might replace all the 80mm for 120mm right away..
September 13, 2006 8:22:00 PM

Quote:
From the look of your case, you may be able to swap out the rear 80mm fan for a 120mm. This may come in handy if you choose to use a 3rd party cooler like the Accelero X2, which blows heat from the video card into the case. The increased amount of exhaust air facilitated by the larger 120mm fan would make up for the heat directed into the case.

agreed. That case looks like it is an Aspire X-cruiser... just renamed for some reason. (further looking shows that maybe aspire got bought out or changed) I have worked w/ many Aspire cases and while they are cheap they cool just fine. Definitely swap the 80mm for 120s. The suggestions about the tray tools is also good, and if noise is not an issue then go ahead... but if you can install a fan as described above pointing at the back of the card (in the "midship" position ;)  ) then you will probably not need to mess w/ the stock cooler speeds and therefore not have the noise problems... (stock speeds are really quite tolerable to me)
September 13, 2006 8:24:50 PM

I got a question. This huge floorfan I got. (500mm). I will by NO means do this, but im curious by nature. Its basically the size of the caze. How effective would it be to just open the side of the case and put this there.

Trust me. It might sound like its something I'm planning to do XD but it's not, just curious.
September 13, 2006 8:26:44 PM

Damn. I just realized how noisy this floorfan is. XD..
September 13, 2006 8:35:20 PM

Quote:
Damn. I just realized how noisy this floorfan is. XD..

lol, more air movement is just that... more. Regardless on how you do it the cooling will improve, obviously at the cost of noise in the case of your floor fan. ;) 
September 13, 2006 8:46:29 PM

Are there any ways of soundproofing the case? Reducing the sound somehow o.o?
September 13, 2006 8:58:39 PM

ya, any speaker matting for car body-panels will work...

something like this, and you can do that yourself is you have some rubber mats and alot of glue... but that is messy. The idea is to get the rubber/foam to dampen the resonance of the case so it has to be adhered to as much of the large spans as possible.

another trick is to but rubber grommets/seals where fans touch the case. Rubber mounts for the drives are also good. Anywhere vibration occurs.
September 13, 2006 11:48:00 PM

In the end. It CANT get louder then this. It's a HUGE fan which is really loud. I dont think the x1900xtx beats that unless I mess up the airflow TOO bad.
September 14, 2006 2:28:23 AM

Quote:
download and install ATI Tool 0.25 beta and reset the fan speeds,I have mine set at 50%,temp in the tool tray and set to come on on startup,doesnt go above 55'c while gaming.

of course this is until I install my ZalmanVF-900-cu cooler on it...

did you even read this?I own and use the x1900xtx in a thermaltake v1000d case!In a room with a average 21'c-25'c temp!

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/30/vga_heat_pipe_co...

asus A8N-E
dual core 4400
3 250G barracuda hd's
3 dvdrw's
xfi extreme
700 watt fortron psu
2G OCZ dual chanel pc3200
7 lighted fans and 2 cold cathodes
September 14, 2006 7:05:20 AM

It would be senseless to sit a 500mm fan in the side of the case - especially since you purchased a new case and all that goes in there.

As mentioned previously - focus on proper inflow of air and then getting it out again with 80mm intake and 120mm outtake fans. There's some proper low noise mid air flow fans that will help you greatly. A system need not be noisy when attention is paid to porper air flow.

You might not even need to alter fan speed - but do monitor it though. I'm not very comfrotable with default fan speed settings and the 80+ it reaches.
September 14, 2006 8:13:49 AM

I would say like someone else said I would try adding a 120mm fan to aid if possible, because 120mm fans spin slower giving better cooling. You should not worry though I have the X1900XT with a similar setup anad I had no problem.
September 14, 2006 2:11:30 PM

Quote:
It would be senseless to sit a 500mm fan in the side of the case - especially since you purchased a new case and all that goes in there.

As mentioned previously - focus on proper inflow of air and then getting it out again with 80mm intake and 120mm outtake fans. There's some proper low noise mid air flow fans that will help you greatly. A system need not be noisy when attention is paid to porper air flow.

You might not even need to alter fan speed - but do monitor it though. I'm not very comfrotable with default fan speed settings and the 80+ it reaches.

ya, I have a 120 outbound w/ an 80 pointing right at the back of the card. (on the side of the drive cage) and it works great. Stays in the low 70s w/ no fan speed changes.

I agree though that 80+ is high... ATI sacrificed that for noise management so it must be ok at that speed, but I am no more comfortable w/ it than you are. ;) 
September 14, 2006 5:58:18 PM

Ok! My cousin is gonna help me set it up. He told me he'll bring some extra fans he doesnt use. So I start out with 2x80mm. And then I'll add on whats needed. ^^ 120mm outtake probably.
September 14, 2006 6:33:13 PM

I really hope for Dx10, that both NV and Ati get some proper cooling out on those GPU's.

If Arctic Cooling, Zalman and the likes can produce good after market coolers, then surely NV/Ati can address the issue. Heat is here to stay, and so also the noise.

With market trends focusing heavily on media PCs and the lack of noise, hopefully some tech will arise from this to aid the main and most heaviest variables in the personal computers market - namely the good ole pc game generation. I was very keen on intel's water cooling cooler that was previewed earlier this year (before Core killed of Netburst heaters)... :lol: 

For those still experiencing heat woes, or still wondering if they are safe or not - google atx case form factor and look at what formfactor.org and intel suggest (don't wanna post links without prior consent). From this, pay proper attention as to the intention of the spec, and how it can work for you :wink:

Alternatively, I wouldn't bother too much with temps - if they want too warantee a card running at 90C, who am I to complain? The main problem with temps is that they should never have included a visible temp sensor to the consumer.... Until my X800XT I never even spared thought to temps on a GPU... :lol:  :lol: 
September 14, 2006 6:36:59 PM

Quote:
Alternatively, I wouldn't bother too much with temps - if they want too warantee a card running at 90C, who am I to complain? The main problem with temps is that they should never have included a visible temp sensor to the consumer.... Until my X800XT I never even spared thought to temps on a GPU... :lol:  :lol: 

totally agree. If ati says it is all good... then it is all good. ;) 
!