Canon woes continue - funny though that I'm experiencing i..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 29, 2005 6:42:36 PM

I have two Canon units (i9950 and iP8500) both are experiencing identical
issues, which really makes me wonder (am I correct in thinking that the
basic driver for both models is identical?). I have two boxes here - one
running Windows XP, the other OS X Tiger and the issues are happening on
both systems which makes me wonder if Canon actually know how to write a
decent driver.

I first noticed this about 10 days ago when the print quality on my Pixma
declined. I opened 'er up and saw that the black tank was completely
drained, but I'd received no warning from either the status monitor or the
printer itself. I had a quick shufty at the ink levels in the status monitor
and it was showing that the black was still roughly half full (even though
it was obvious to anyone looking at the tank itself it was completely
empty). I popped in a replacement, but the printer didn't go through a
charge cycle, so I ran a cleaning cycle in the hope that it might update the
status - it didn't. I then compared the other SM levels with the actual
amount of ink remaining in the other tanks - and noticed that it was
misreporting every single colour (and it's indiscriminate about how it
reports - e.g. it's informing me that the red and green are practically full
when, in reality, they're both two-thirds empty, it's telling me that the
yellow is nearly gone when, in fact, there's more than half a tank left).

I then, just for the sheer hell of it, decided to do a manual head
alignment. This is where I noticed the next problem - each bar in the 'K'
column (I believe that's the bi-directional one) is equally flawed - i.e. I
cannot select the best one because there isn't a best one!

I spoke to Canon (and got put through to India - literally!) and, obviously,
had real problems making myself understood (I think they're just trained to
tell people to reinstall the driver and that's the sum total of their
English). I was then called back by a tier two rep who spoke English but was
just about as clueless as the tier one droid. He wants me to return the
printer, at my expense, for them to have sitting on a shelf somewhere for 10
working days (I don't trust these repair centres as far as I can spit at
'em).

Just for laughs, I switched on the i9950, which hasn't had much use since I
bought the Pixma. It was furnished with a new set of OEMs not so long ago
and all are practically full. I checked out its status monitor and it's
telling me that each tank has 25% left - obviously erroneous. I then
performed a manual alignment and it's having identical alignment issues as
the Pixma, but not with column K; this is column E (photo cyan).

Both units are using OEM tanks. The Pixma is less than three months old.

Could someone tell me how the SM obtains its information from the printer?
Would I be correct in thinking that the little white pads under each tank
contain a sensor and that sends info to the driver? If that is the case,
would replacing the print head and reinstalling the driver help matters? I
bought a printhead (I believe that both units use an identical head) on eBay
(brand new, still sealed in its foil) for 99p because I was the only
interested party and there was no reserve.

Could anyone tell me how best to troubleshoot? Please don't tell me to go
back to Canon - I couldn't stand another 90 minutes on hold only to be put
through to some Indian who cannot string a coherent sentence together).

Both units are hooked up via high speed USB connections.

Any ideas or do I have to write off two (otherwise) perfectly working units?
The Pixma is my office printer and is in constant daily use.

Cheers m'dears!
August 29, 2005 6:42:37 PM

Odd, the Indians I talk to have perfect english... I prefer indians to
many of my native counties accents generally speaking.

Your complaint is the fact that your printer is not reporting proper
fullness level.

The diagram might help your understanding

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip850...

Basicly the inktanks use a prism that when there is fluid in the tank,
the light is refracted. When the tank is empty the light is shown
though the prism and reflected back to a sensor that establishes
"empty". It's not a perfect system esp since the tanks to read full
till such time as the reservoir is well, empty, leaning you with about
20% of ink left. In theory you should beable to print as little as 2.8
full color pages 100% yield before replacing.

The only troubleshooting I can think of is contacts between the head
and the carrirage basket, whatever that thing is called, and whether or
not the area under the tanks are soiled. Beyond that I have no clue.
I accepted the fact that the ink monitor is pretty damned unreliable
even using OEM tanks with an OEM prism and manualy check my ink levels
about once a month.
August 29, 2005 7:20:40 PM

Perhaps bearing in mind how you have written in the past you should consider
changing them for Epson's or use the rude advise you have given to others.

> [...]
> contain a sensor and that sends info to the driver? If that is the case,
> would replacing the print head and reinstalling the driver help matters? I
> bought a printhead (I believe that both units use an identical head) on
eBay
> (brand new, still sealed in its foil) for 99p because I was the only
> interested party and there was no reserve.
>
> Could anyone tell me how best to troubleshoot? Please don't tell me to go
> back to Canon - I couldn't stand another 90 minutes on hold only to be put
> through to some Indian who cannot string a coherent sentence together).
>
> Both units are hooked up via high speed USB connections.
>
> Any ideas or do I have to write off two (otherwise) perfectly working
units?
> The Pixma is my office printer and is in constant daily use.

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 8:24:24 PM

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

>I have two Canon units (i9950 and iP8500) both are experiencing identical
>issues, which really makes me wonder (am I correct in thinking that the
>basic driver for both models is identical?). I have two boxes here - one
>running Windows XP, the other OS X Tiger and the issues are happening on
>both systems which makes me wonder if Canon actually know how to write a
>decent driver.
>
>I first noticed this about 10 days ago when the print quality on my Pixma
>declined. I opened 'er up and saw that the black tank was completely
>drained, but I'd received no warning from either the status monitor or the
>printer itself. I had a quick shufty at the ink levels in the status monitor
>and it was showing that the black was still roughly half full (even though
>it was obvious to anyone looking at the tank itself it was completely
>empty). I popped in a replacement, but the printer didn't go through a
>charge cycle, so I ran a cleaning cycle in the hope that it might update the
>status - it didn't. I then compared the other SM levels with the actual
>amount of ink remaining in the other tanks - and noticed that it was
>misreporting every single colour (and it's indiscriminate about how it
>reports - e.g. it's informing me that the red and green are practically full
>when, in reality, they're both two-thirds empty, it's telling me that the
>yellow is nearly gone when, in fact, there's more than half a tank left).
>
>I then, just for the sheer hell of it, decided to do a manual head
>alignment. This is where I noticed the next problem - each bar in the 'K'
>column (I believe that's the bi-directional one) is equally flawed - i.e. I
>cannot select the best one because there isn't a best one!
>
>I spoke to Canon (and got put through to India - literally!) and, obviously,

IN THE US CANON SUPPORT IS AMERICAN.

THIS MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE VISCOSITY OF THE AFTERMARKET INK.

ARE YOU USING A BRAND NAME? OOPS THERE ARE NOT BRAND NAMES.

>had real problems making myself understood (I think they're just trained to
>tell people to reinstall the driver and that's the sum total of their
>English). I was then called back by a tier two rep who spoke English but was
>just about as clueless as the tier one droid. He wants me to return the
>printer, at my expense, for them to have sitting on a shelf somewhere for 10
>working days (I don't trust these repair centres as far as I can spit at
>'em).
>
>Just for laughs, I switched on the i9950, which hasn't had much use since I
>bought the Pixma. It was furnished with a new set of OEMs not so long ago
>and all are practically full. I checked out its status monitor and it's
>telling me that each tank has 25% left - obviously erroneous. I then
>performed a manual alignment and it's having identical alignment issues as
>the Pixma, but not with column K; this is column E (photo cyan).
>
>Both units are using OEM tanks. The Pixma is less than three months old.
>
>Could someone tell me how the SM obtains its information from the printer?
>Would I be correct in thinking that the little white pads under each tank
>contain a sensor and that sends info to the driver? If that is the case,
>would replacing the print head and reinstalling the driver help matters? I
>bought a printhead (I believe that both units use an identical head) on eBay
>(brand new, still sealed in its foil) for 99p because I was the only
>interested party and there was no reserve.
>
>Could anyone tell me how best to troubleshoot? Please don't tell me to go
>back to Canon - I couldn't stand another 90 minutes on hold only to be put
>through to some Indian who cannot string a coherent sentence together).
>
>Both units are hooked up via high speed USB connections.
>
>Any ideas or do I have to write off two (otherwise) perfectly working units?
>The Pixma is my office printer and is in constant daily use.
>
>Cheers m'dears!

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 8:25:33 PM

Shooter wrote:

>Perhaps bearing in mind how you have written in the past you should consider
>changing them for Epson's or use the rude advise you have given to others.

SHE WAS NOT RUDE. SHE WAS JUST ON THE RAG. CHART HER REMARKS AND YOU
WILL UNDERSTAND.

> [...]
>>contain a sensor and that sends info to the driver? If that is the case,
>>would replacing the print head and reinstalling the driver help matters? I
>>bought a printhead (I believe that both units use an identical head) on
>>

>eBay
>

>>(brand new, still sealed in its foil) for 99p because I was the only
>>interested party and there was no reserve.
>>
>>Could anyone tell me how best to troubleshoot? Please don't tell me to go
>>back to Canon - I couldn't stand another 90 minutes on hold only to be put
>>through to some Indian who cannot string a coherent sentence together).
>>
>>Both units are hooked up via high speed USB connections.
>>
>>Any ideas or do I have to write off two (otherwise) perfectly working
>>

>units?
>

>>The Pixma is my office printer and is in constant daily use.

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 1:33:45 AM

This link describes how the Think Tank system works.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip850...
If you have an empty tank of any color (yellow would be best) install it in
place of whatever color you want to reset. If the light sensors are working
properly, you should get a low ink warning. Reinstalling the original tank
will reset the status monitor to full for that color. Also, look at the
'Start Status Monitor' box on the maintenance tab of the driver. Be sure
that 'Enable Status Monitor' is checked and the option to display low ink
warning is selected. If all that seems in order, check the print head
carrier to see if there is anything blocking the light source which would
result in it never being able to sense an out of ink condition. Replacing
the print head (nozzles) wouldn't accomplish anything. The light sensors are
not part of that assembly.
--
Ron

> [...]
> Would I be correct in thinking that the little white pads under each tank
> contain a sensor and that sends info to the driver? If that is the case,
> would replacing the print head and reinstalling the driver help matters? I
> bought a printhead (I believe that both units use an identical head) on
> eBay (brand new, still sealed in its foil) for 99p because I was the only
> interested party and there was no reserve.
>
> Could anyone tell me how best to troubleshoot? Please don't tell me to go
> back to Canon - I couldn't stand another 90 minutes on hold only to be put
> through to some Indian who cannot string a coherent sentence together).
>
> Both units are hooked up via high speed USB connections.
>
> Any ideas or do I have to write off two (otherwise) perfectly working
> units? The Pixma is my office printer and is in constant daily use.

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 1:03:53 PM

drc023 wrote:
> This link describes how the Think Tank system works.
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/canon_ip850...
> If you have an empty tank of any color (yellow would be best) install
> it in place of whatever color you want to reset. If the light sensors
> are working properly, you should get a low ink warning. Reinstalling
> the original tank will reset the status monitor to full for that
> color. Also, look at the 'Start Status Monitor' box on the
> maintenance tab of the driver. Be sure that 'Enable Status Monitor'
> is checked and the option to display low ink warning is selected. If
> all that seems in order, check the print head carrier to see if there
> is anything blocking the light source which would result in it never
> being able to sense an out of ink condition. Replacing the print head
> (nozzles) wouldn't accomplish anything. The light sensors are not
> part of that assembly.

Thanks - and what of the more serious alignment issues? Anyone a cure for
those?
!