Sign in with
Your question

Another CAD System Buildup

Last response: in Systems
September 13, 2006 1:21:44 PM

Hi everyone...

Sorry for the repetitive post, but I'm looking for confirmation/suggestion on my planned buildup for a home based CAD machine to run solidworks 2006. Models are fairly large (lots of features), however, I don't do much rendering, if any at all. Computer will be for a part time home based business. Hopefully that's enough of a background on the system usage, here is what I thought of buying:

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe $355.99
Intel CP2-Duo-E6600 $444.99
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400PRO $421.99
WD TSD-150ADFD $330.99
NEC ND3550A $101.98 (two units)
Samsung 215TW $634.99
ATI Fire GL V7100 $774.99

Most of what I selected above was based on reviews from Tomshardware guides. Where possible, I provided the part number and the price at my local shop (CDN funds.)

Basically what I want to know is, should I get slower memory and a less equiped motherboard and get a slightly better video card? Should I change everything over to an AMD based system? (since I don't really care which one I get, just looking for reliable performance at a good price.

Thanks in advance...

PB

More about : cad system buildup

September 13, 2006 2:46:05 PM

Thanks for the reply...

I just went through the interactive CPU wizard and the C2D outperforms every AMD chip on just about every test... and is cheaper than the fastest AMD chip. So I think I'm sold on going with Intel... I just need to decide on a good motherboard for the chip. Which chipset is the best for the C2D?965? 975x? Intel or Nvidia? to many options/combinations...

Yeah, I've found the same chips at another shop closer to me that sells them for about $40 less. But maybe I'll look at some slower memory.

As for the video card, I'm not much of a gamer... but if anything, I may get a more entry level FireGL card than the 7100.

As for the monitor, am I better to get two 19" displays or one larger 23" for example and utilize the higher resolution?

Thanks again,

PB
September 15, 2006 1:00:41 PM

Even at my work where I routinely use Solidworks, they originally tried to be cheap and use a non workstation style card... it was disastrous. Even now with our low end AGP based cards, we have severe clipping when rotating our models. Since my home based work will be very similar to what I do here... I want at least a workstation style card... it's just finding one better than what I have at work, but for a decent price.

So the lower the CAS, the faster the ram... okay, is there one in specific that you like?

As for the monitor's, I've got to find out if I have enough room on my desktop to support two monitors.

Thanks Again,
PB
!