Your question

newer CPUs and cooling

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cooling
  • Water Cooling
Last response: in CPUs
September 13, 2006 3:30:58 PM

Alhtough Intel's new conroe line uses about 68 watts, do you guys think that at one point, the whole heatsink + fan combo will be surpassed by efficient (well, more efficient than now) liquid cooling systems?

A Dell with built in liquid cooling?! I still wouldn't buy that..... :lol: 

I'm asking this question within a context of normal computing, not overclocking.

More about : newer cpus cooling

September 13, 2006 3:36:42 PM

PC's will not get to the heat and effeciency point of requiring water cooling.
Water cooling is less effecient IMO.
A heatsink I'd say is most then add a fan you should be golden.
Water cooling is an extreme to squeeze last bit out/to OC.
Pc's are becoming cooler/less power hungry.
Well until they start trying to throw 8 cores on a die :lol: 

Don't expect it to be standard on any systems anytime soon.
It will remain OC'er/enthusiast option only IMO.
a c 480 à CPUs
September 13, 2006 3:39:11 PM

At stock speeds the power consumption of the Core 2 Duo CPUs ranges from 44w (E6300) to 66w (X6800).

I do not believe liquid cooling will ever be the norm. Too expensive and based on current heat dissipations and power consumption, it is not necessary.
Related resources
September 13, 2006 3:39:18 PM

Quote:
Alhtough Intel's new conroe line uses about 68 watts, do you guys think that at one point, the whole heatsink + fan combo will be surpassed by efficient (well, more efficient than now) liquid cooling systems?

A Dell with built in liquid cooling?! I still wouldn't buy that..... :lol: 

I'm asking this question within a context of normal computing, not overclocking.
IMO, AMD/Intel have seen what high heat output does, and see how much customers dispise it. I think that when the time comes that water-cooling is necessary, they will look much more seriously at other micro-processor architectures, that won't radiate as much heat(i.e. carbon nano-tubes,etc.). The one thorn in the side of this theory is that, video-card heat output is inevitably going to climb, raising case temps, and making it that much harder to keep CPU temps sane.
September 13, 2006 3:49:45 PM

I think we should have sockets for video cards also.
So we can put equally large cooling options on them as we do CPU's they all run hotter than cpu's now anyway.
September 13, 2006 3:59:31 PM

Quote:
So we can put equally large cooling options on them as we do CPU's they all run hotter than cpu's now anyway.
I think Intel is looking forward, and is seeing heat problems as history(wishful thinking i'd say). They are discontinuing support for the BTX form factor,which they tried to push on everyone to deal with the P4's heat. Maybe they know something we don't, as far as future heat-output. :?

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=6685
September 13, 2006 4:21:17 PM

Quote:

That would be interesting. GPU sockets. I guess we'd be able to buy ram for it? Seems like we're going back to the early 90s with ram slots on vid cards. Just double your ram if you feel like it. No need to buy an new card just to have more ram.
!