Landis6605

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
First the problem was the PC power crashed. Then when the power switch was depressed it would kick on the fan and quickly shut down. I was led to believe it was either the motherboard or the PSU. I have changed the PSU and now nothing comes on.

What should my troubleshooting steps be. I am looking for the best advice to move forward. (Sidequestion: If just testing the PSU, what is the best way to test it againnt the motherboard. What are the least amount of components that need to be plugged in to the MB.)

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE!!

To test the psu, pull the plug and power off the rear power switch (if available) and remove the power connectors on the mobo / gpu (leave hdd and cdrom connected).
jump start it by shorting the green "power_good" and the adjacent ground wire
2psfig7small.jpg

plug it in and turn it on. If you get hdd and cdrom power it is probably good (both psu maybe good).

if it works, good idea to go bare bones only the keyboard / cpu / 1 stick ram / gpu only / and the speaker & power_on mobo headers to the case power switch, plug in the atx / gpu power and give it a shot.

if it works then start plugging in the other stuff like other mobo headers, the hdd/ cdrom etc and test at each step.

If it does not work, maybe try without the mem / cpu only you should get some beep codes. If not the mobo is definitly suspect...

I have had to remove the mobo from the case in extreme cases, and have found screws that were grounding out and causing headaches :oops:

Landis6605

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. I followed those steps in order and finally the system came back up. The issue was definately isolated to the PSU.