Ultra PCI-IDE Controllers w/Abit BE6 MB

jmagru116

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I'm wondering if anyone knows if Adaptec ASH-1233 Ultra ATA/133 and Promise Ultra 133 TX2 PCI IDE controller cards are compatible with Abit BE6 mother boards?

I want to upgrade from Windows Millennium to Windows XP and can't because of the HPT 366 Ultra DMA 66 IDE controller chipset on the board.

I need a new controller card that will:
- Coexist with the HPT chipset and bypass it with three independentt (not RAID) hard drives
- Support XP
- Boot from a drive connected to the new card

The manufacturers' specs I've found don't address the coexisting-with-HPT366 and booting questions.

Many thanks for any help you can provide. - Jmagru

jmagru116

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I appreciate your feedback. I had planned to set the card up with Windows ME, which is on the system now, and then to install XP. Still, though, the system may not boot from the card. Do you have any guesses about how that might work?

You're sure right about it being time to put my old Abit board to rest. For financial reasons, I've been hoping to nurse another year or two from it and then to gut my case and build a state-of-the-art system. Since more and more software that I want to use will only function on XP, however, funeral services for my Abit MB may be at hand.