Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

IBM Infoprint 21 -- 454 FUSER ERROR

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 6:13:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Does anyone have IBM Infoprint 21 Service Guide (G544-5702-00)?

I've got an IBM Infoprint 21 (4322) printer, which reports
"454 FUSER ERROR" on its LCD, and refuses to print. The printer
is almost 5 years old, but it was used very lightly (on the
"Printer Configuration Page" it reports "FUSER CT = 15959";
only one person was using it all that time). What does this
code mean?

I'm asking because IBM wants $500 for the manual, which seems
ridiculous to me. New Usage Kit (38L1411QC) is also not that
cheap, around $350. Maybe someone would check the Service
Guide for me? Please!!!

--
andrei
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 6:13:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Andrei Ivanov wrote:
> Does anyone have IBM Infoprint 21 Service Guide (G544-5702-00)?

Sure... but it really doesn't tell you much for a 454 error, basically
it tells you to order a usage kit and replace the fuser. The IBM
service folks *will not* replace an Infoprint 21 fuser as a service
part, because it is a CRU (Customer Replaceable Unit) in the usage kit.

There are three likely causes of a 454 error (and a handful of unlikely
causes). The highest probability cause is a failed or failing
thermistor, second highest is a failed thermal switch, and in third
place is a failed heater lamp. Check the fuser immediately after the
454 is posted -- if it is warm, you can bet that the thermistor is the
culprit. If it is cold, you'd need to disassemble the fuser to see if
the switch or the lamp has failed. However, unless you have some spare
fuser parts in hand, you'll probably need a replacement fuser because
there are no service parts available from IBM for the fuser. We've had
IP21 fusers fail on printers with less than 5K prints on them, so I'd
guess that "less than normal life" is typical for IP21 fusers.

Rick Ekblaw
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 8:47:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Rick, what a quick response! :-)
Perhaps I was wrong ridiculing your company.

RickE <ekblaw@vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Andrei Ivanov wrote:
>> Does anyone have IBM Infoprint 21 Service Guide (G544-5702-00)?
>
> Sure... but it really doesn't tell you much for a 454 error, basically
> it tells you to order a usage kit and replace the fuser.

Sure thing, I'll replace it by myself.

> There are three likely causes of a 454 error (and a handful of unlikely
> causes). The highest probability cause is a failed or failing
> thermistor, second highest is a failed thermal switch, and in third
> place is a failed heater lamp. Check the fuser immediately after the
> 454 is posted -- if it is warm, you can bet that the thermistor is the
> culprit. If it is cold, you'd need to disassemble the fuser to see if
> the switch or the lamp has failed. However, unless you have some spare
> fuser parts in hand, you'll probably need a replacement fuser because
> there are no service parts available from IBM for the fuser. We've had
> IP21 fusers fail on printers with less than 5K prints on them, so I'd
> guess that "less than normal life" is typical for IP21 fusers.

So, you're saying that new fuser will cure the thing?

Did I choose the correct part, 38L1411QC (Usage Kit)?
Or is there something simpler, and less expensive,
like "fuser kit", or something to that tune?

Thanks, Rick!
--
andrei
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:49:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Yes, a new fuser will cure the 454 error. The 38L1411 usage kit is the
right way to go, you'll get a replacement transfer roller and paper
path rollers in addition to the fuser, but with less than 16K prints on
your IP21, I'd hold on to those items for a bit before you install
them.

Rick Ekblaw
Related resources
!