IBM Infoprint 21 -- 454 FUSER ERROR

Does anyone have IBM Infoprint 21 Service Guide (G544-5702-00)?

I've got an IBM Infoprint 21 (4322) printer, which reports
"454 FUSER ERROR" on its LCD, and refuses to print. The printer
is almost 5 years old, but it was used very lightly (on the
"Printer Configuration Page" it reports "FUSER CT = 15959";
only one person was using it all that time). What does this
code mean?

I'm asking because IBM wants $500 for the manual, which seems
ridiculous to me. New Usage Kit (38L1411QC) is also not that
cheap, around $350. Maybe someone would check the Service
Guide for me? Please!!!

--
andrei
3 answers Last reply

    Andrei Ivanov wrote:
    > Does anyone have IBM Infoprint 21 Service Guide (G544-5702-00)?

    Sure... but it really doesn't tell you much for a 454 error, basically
    it tells you to order a usage kit and replace the fuser. The IBM
    service folks *will not* replace an Infoprint 21 fuser as a service
    part, because it is a CRU (Customer Replaceable Unit) in the usage kit.

    There are three likely causes of a 454 error (and a handful of unlikely
    causes). The highest probability cause is a failed or failing
    thermistor, second highest is a failed thermal switch, and in third
    place is a failed heater lamp. Check the fuser immediately after the
    454 is posted -- if it is warm, you can bet that the thermistor is the
    culprit. If it is cold, you'd need to disassemble the fuser to see if
    the switch or the lamp has failed. However, unless you have some spare
    fuser parts in hand, you'll probably need a replacement fuser because
    there are no service parts available from IBM for the fuser. We've had
    IP21 fusers fail on printers with less than 5K prints on them, so I'd
    guess that "less than normal life" is typical for IP21 fusers.

    Rick Ekblaw

    Rick, what a quick response! :-)
    Perhaps I was wrong ridiculing your company.

    RickE <ekblaw@vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
    > Andrei Ivanov wrote:
    >> Does anyone have IBM Infoprint 21 Service Guide (G544-5702-00)?
    >
    > Sure... but it really doesn't tell you much for a 454 error, basically
    > it tells you to order a usage kit and replace the fuser.

    Sure thing, I'll replace it by myself.

    > There are three likely causes of a 454 error (and a handful of unlikely
    > causes). The highest probability cause is a failed or failing
    > thermistor, second highest is a failed thermal switch, and in third
    > place is a failed heater lamp. Check the fuser immediately after the
    > 454 is posted -- if it is warm, you can bet that the thermistor is the
    > culprit. If it is cold, you'd need to disassemble the fuser to see if
    > the switch or the lamp has failed. However, unless you have some spare
    > fuser parts in hand, you'll probably need a replacement fuser because
    > there are no service parts available from IBM for the fuser. We've had
    > IP21 fusers fail on printers with less than 5K prints on them, so I'd
    > guess that "less than normal life" is typical for IP21 fusers.

    So, you're saying that new fuser will cure the thing?

    Did I choose the correct part, 38L1411QC (Usage Kit)?
    Or is there something simpler, and less expensive,
    like "fuser kit", or something to that tune?

    Thanks, Rick!
    --
    andrei

    Yes, a new fuser will cure the 454 error. The 38L1411 usage kit is the
    right way to go, you'll get a replacement transfer roller and paper
    path rollers in addition to the fuser, but with less than 16K prints on
    your IP21, I'd hold on to those items for a bit before you install
    them.

    Rick Ekblaw

Printers Infoprint IBM Peripherals