ipaq 3650 with Belkin CF WIFI card - connection problems

January 16, 2005 2:00:01 PM

I can't get my iPAQ 3650 to connect to my wireless network using a Belkin CF
network card adapter - can anybody help?

I recently got this used old? iPAQ 3650 (not h3650) with a USB/CF cradle.
The s/w version is 3.0.11171 Build 11178 but it only has 32MB RAM and 16MB
Flash ROM. I have no CDs, no manuals & no other info. Is this a true PC2002
(Merlin) or an upgraded PC2000 with only some of the 2002 features?

Anyway, I was also given a new Belkin F5D6060 802.11b wireless CF network
card and I want to connect the 3650 to my home network using this CF network
card.

My network runs on a DLink-514 wireless 802.11b router. I have 3 PCs and a
Laptop (3 wireless and 1 ethernet-cable) talking together and to the
internet with
no problems. The net is normally wep-encrypted & SSID suppressed but I
removed all security for the Belkin installation.

Standard installation over activesync seems to be perfect (all the right
messages) and the Belkin card behaves OK when inserted into the 3650 slot
with
all the right lights lit up and the signal strength bars up at 95%. I saved
the
profile with the correct SSID name from the Belkin configuration manager.
The DI514 activity log shows the Belkin card was given an IP and I can even
connect to the internet.

The problem is that if I switch the 3650 off, it will not reconnect to the
network. If I try to Link I get an error saying there is no network driver.
The
Belkin 'About' page confirms that all driver info is missing.

What happened? Can anyone help? Am I missing something?
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 1:15:39 AM

"R Hughes" <r__hughes@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I can't get my iPAQ 3650 to connect to my wireless network using a Belkin CF
>network card adapter - can anybody help?
>
>I recently got this used old? iPAQ 3650 (not h3650) with a USB/CF cradle.
>The s/w version is 3.0.11171 Build 11178 but it only has 32MB RAM and 16MB
>Flash ROM. I have no CDs, no manuals & no other info. Is this a true PC2002
>(Merlin) or an upgraded PC2000 with only some of the 2002 features?

Actually, that is an h3650. HP just wasn't as rigorous about the "h"
prefix back then. Yes, it is an upgraded 2000 device. Fully 2002 but
because the ROM is only 16MB, some apps were left out and a few key
features. WAP support in PIE doesn't exist for example. You used to be
able to download the Terminal Services client and Messenger client
from www.pocketpc.com but I think they are gone. There were a few
other apps on the upgrade CD that was used to flash the device with
2002. Reader was one, Transcriber too.

>Anyway, I was also given a new Belkin F5D6060 802.11b wireless CF network
>card and I want to connect the 3650 to my home network using this CF network
>card.
>
>My network runs on a DLink-514 wireless 802.11b router. I have 3 PCs and a
>Laptop (3 wireless and 1 ethernet-cable) talking together and to the
>internet with
>no problems. The net is normally wep-encrypted & SSID suppressed but I
>removed all security for the Belkin installation.
>
>Standard installation over activesync seems to be perfect (all the right
>messages) and the Belkin card behaves OK when inserted into the 3650 slot
>with
>all the right lights lit up and the signal strength bars up at 95%. I saved
>the
>profile with the correct SSID name from the Belkin configuration manager.
>The DI514 activity log shows the Belkin card was given an IP and I can even
>connect to the internet.
>
>The problem is that if I switch the 3650 off, it will not reconnect to the
>network. If I try to Link I get an error saying there is no network driver.
>The
>Belkin 'About' page confirms that all driver info is missing.
>
>What happened? Can anyone help? Am I missing something?

Disconnect the card then turn the Pocket PC off. Then turn the iPAQ on
and reinsert the card.
January 17, 2005 10:10:10 AM

Reply to message from "Ed Hansberry, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" <spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.
spambegone.coSun, 16 Jan 2005 22:15:39 (Sun, 16 Jan 2005 22:15:39) about "Re: ipaq 3650
with Belkin CF WIFI card - connection problems":

> "R Hughes" <r__hughes@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> I can't get my iPAQ 3650 to connect to my wireless network using a Belkin CF network
>> card adapter - can anybody help?

>> I recently got this used old? iPAQ 3650 (not h3650) with a USB/CF cradle. The s/w
>> version is 3.0.11171 Build 11178 but it only has 32MB RAM and 16MB Flash ROM. I have
>> no CDs, no manuals
>> & no other info. Is this a true PC2002 (Merlin) or an upgraded PC2000 with only some
>> of the 2002 features?

> Actually, that is an h3650. HP just wasn't as rigorous about the "h" prefix back then.
> Yes, it is an upgraded 2000 device. Fully 2002 but because the ROM is only
> 16MB, some apps were left out and a few key features. WAP support in PIE doesn't exist
> for example. You used to be able to download the Terminal Services client and Messenger
> client from www.pocketpc. com but I think they are gone. There were a few other apps on
> the upgrade CD that was used to flash the device with
> 2002. Reader was one, Transcriber too.

>> Anyway, I was also given a new Belkin F5D6060 802.11b wireless CF network card and I
>> want to connect the 3650 to my home network using this CF network card.

>> My network runs on a DLink-514 wireless 802.11b router. I have 3 PCs and a Laptop (3
>> wireless and 1 ethernet-cable) talking together and to the internet with
>> no problems. The net is normally wep- encrypted & SSID suppressed but I removed all
>> security for the Belkin installation.

>> Standard installation over activesync seems to be perfect (all the right messages) and
>> the Belkin card behaves OK when inserted into the 3650 slot with
>> all the right lights lit up and the signal strength bars up at 95%. I saved the
>> profile with the correct SSID name from the Belkin configuration manager. The DI514
>> activity log shows the Belkin card was given an IP and I can even connect to the
>> internet.

>> The problem is that if I switch the 3650 off, it will not reconnect to the network. If
>> I try to Link I get an error saying there is no network driver. The Belkin 'About'
>> page confirms that all driver info is missing.

>> What happened? Can anyone help? Am I missing something?

> Disconnect the card then turn the Pocket PC off. Then turn the iPAQ on and reinsert the
> card.
> --
> _________________________________
> _________________________________
> ________________
> Ed Hansberry (Please do *NOT* email me. Post here for the benefit of all) What is on my
> Pocket PC? http://www. ehansberry.com/ Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices www.pocketpc.com
> What is an MVP? - http://mvp.support.microsoft. com/

You can still download TSC from MS along with the old Power Toys...

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/wce/downlo...

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC
January 17, 2005 3:28:03 PM

<spamfree-silvernino@hotmail.spambegone.com> wrote in message
> "R Hughes" <r__hughes@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I can't get my iPAQ 3650 to connect to my wireless network using a Belkin
CF
> >network card adapter - can anybody help?
> >
> > --- snip ---
> >The problem is that if I switch the 3650 off, it will not reconnect to
the
> >network. If I try to Link I get an error saying there is no network
driver.
> >The Belkin 'About' page confirms that all driver info is missing.
> >
> >What happened? Can anyone help? Am I missing something?

> Ed Hansberry suggested :
> Disconnect the card then turn the Pocket PC off. Then turn the iPAQ on
> and reinsert the card.
> --
Thanks for the reply Ed, but sadly I got the same results. If I try to
change the
Belkin profile config I get an error message :
"Unable to communicate with device driver - Status 31.0"

Is it significant that I cannot cleanly uninstall the Belkin software from
the iPAQ?
The desktop PC uninstalls OK but the iPAQ Remove Program utility says
BKF5DNDS.dll
can't be removed (ven though no progs are running) and I am left with the
Belkin config
manager icon in the Program window. If I try to reinstall the Belkin
software I get a message
on the PC saying the card is already installed & it aborts the installation.
I have to manually
remove all Belkin items from the windows directory (or do a complete reset)
before I can
get get it to install again.
January 17, 2005 4:38:41 PM

"R Hughes"
> I have to manually
> remove all Belkin items from the windows directory (or do a complete
reset)
> before I can
> get get it to install again.

I recently installed a Symbol CF Wifi card on my 3670. I never had the
problem with not being able to un-install. However, after installing the
drivers, I had to do a soft reset to get them to work. This was spelled out
in the instructions.

If you have the Belkin icon, it would seem that you do have the card
installed, so then it should just be a matter of configuring the
connection - In my case, I had to enter the encryption data and that was
about it, I think.

Another thing you might try, is to go to a wifi hotspot - I just went down
to our local Future Shop and they had a few wifi networks active - I could
access the internet with no configuration needed. If you can do this, then
your problem is with your home network setup.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 9:19:39 PM

"George" <XXXX@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:o #lJhPM$EHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...

> "R Hughes"
> > I have to manually remove all Belkin items from the windows directory
>> (or do a complete reset) before I can get get it to install again.
> >

> I recently installed a Symbol CF Wifi card on my 3670. I never had the
> problem with not being able to un-install. However, after installing the
> drivers, I had to do a soft reset to get them to work. This was spelled
out
> in the instructions.
>
> If you have the Belkin icon, it would seem that you do have the card
> installed, so then it should just be a matter of configuring the
> connection - In my case, I had to enter the encryption data and that was
> about it, I think.
>
> Another thing you might try, is to go to a wifi hotspot - I just went down
> to our local Future Shop and they had a few wifi networks active - I could
> access the internet with no configuration needed. If you can do this, then
> your problem is with your home network setup.

It was the soft reset that did the trick! Part of the software was hung up
and this is
probably why it wouldn't reconnect or uninstall properly. Anyway, after a
soft reset
with the card out - reinseting the card caused the indicator LED to flicker
then go to a
solid lock and the Belkin config manager icon appeared (green) down in the
bottom
right of the screen. I rechecked the card manual & quick instal guide &
there is
no mention of a soft reset (but there again there is no EXIT button on the
Installation
Setup Wizard) - maybe I should have known this intuitively :o ) Many thanks
to all
who responded.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 10:10:06 AM

"R. Hughes" <r__hughes@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Many thanks
>to all
>who responded.

Glad you got it working. I always soft reset no matter how irrelevant
it may seem. Fixes a number of things.