Closed

C drive showing as full when it isnt??

When I check the properties of my hard drive,it shows only 1.5Gb free when I
know I only have max 6Gb space taken up.What should i do?
5 answers Last reply
More about drive showing full isnt

    Try R.click on the drive,properties,tools,chk the box, "chk disk and fix file
    system errors" agree to restart,close-out,restart computer.

    In news:A03F89AC-148A-48F5-B1F8-A84A187ABDF6@microsoft.com,
    Cowleyman <Cowleyman@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > When I check the properties of my hard drive,it shows only
    > 1.5Gb free
    > when I know I only have max 6Gb space taken up.What should i
    > do?

    How big is the drive?

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    "Cowleyman" <Cowleyman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | When I check the properties of my hard drive,it shows only 1.5Gb free when
    | know I only have max 6Gb space taken up.What should i do?

    SequoiaView is an excellent free (and clean) utility helpful in tracking
    down mysterious missing drive space.

    It provides a one window graphical representation of which files are taking
    up how much space where on a drive, often quickly and easily tracking down
    files that Windows is reluctant to reveal.

    http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

    (It's kinda fun too) :-)

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    My drive is 16.6gb, I have done all the obvious things like disk clean up.I
    do not have Norton.I found the figures by R clicking the C drive in my
    computer

    "Cowleyman" <Cowleyman@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding
    > When I check the properties of my hard drive,it shows only 1.5Gb free when
    > know I only have max 6Gb space taken up.What should i do?

    You do not mention how big your drive is. Neither do you say how you have
    found out how much space is used on it. But from the top of my head, here
    are a couple of things you can try:

    - Run a drive cleanup. Right click your C-drive, select "Properties" and
    click the Clean Up button. After some work it will show you some potential
    space wasters, such as temp-files and recycle bin. If you find that these
    items may explain why your drive does not have much free space, click "OK".
    If not, continue to the next step.

    - System Restore may also waste a lot of space that you are not aware of.
    Still in the Drive Cleanup meny, press the "More options"-tab. At the
    bottom, you have a button for deleting all but the most recent System
    Restore point. Press this button and see if this solves your problem.

    - Do you run Norton Utilities? If so, this package has a "Protected Recycle
    Bin"-function which contains items from the recycle bin even after you have
    deleted them. Disable this function or purge the protected items, and see if
    this solves your problem.

Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP