error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Whos seen the newest addition to the enthusiast workshop? Bigfoot Networks' "Killer NIC". Can be seen at http://www.killernic.com.

The funny thing about the killer NIC is that, even though it’s a great card (by spec at least), the 5% processor useage makes me think "overkill". As is typical with "enthusiast"-oriented gear, overkill sells. The funny thing is, this time you've got a network card selling for close to $300. I mean, comon. I've got dual-port Compaq (IBM processor) NICs in all my servers, 3Com NICs in the workstations, 24-port 3Com switch, P3-600Mhz, 256mb router, and without upgrading to gigabit I've got it pretty good. I'd even call what I have overkill, 'specially seing as I'm only on a 6Mbit DSL connection...

Back to the "Killer NIC". Most of us (especially in the USA, even though I'm in Canada) are on 2.5-3.0 Mbit connections right? Even without the ever bottlenecking router in place … that NIC is never going to hit its limit. On the other hand, I would love to see this thing on a fiber connection...

Talking about price, when it comes down to it, the price is right. You're paying for bling, and you're getting bling. You're also paying for a somewhat pricey 400Mhz TI or random x86 processor, 64mb of (oddly enough) DDR RAM, custom PCB, etc etc. The USB is a nice addition, but would any self-respecting "enthusiast" actually use a usb-only highspeed modem? I sure hope not. And the heatsink … I've seen better heatsinks on ECS motherboards, even the original ASUS Sli's LOL. Still, it should be good enough to cool the card, right? Or is that big "K" just too 'hot' to cool anything down? But again I diverge from the subject - just more bling.

I wonder how "bling" it'll be when someone purchases this card, installs it wrong, fries it and the PCI slot… or even better, when this person's friend looks at the dead NIC and asks "what is that?!". The embarassed friend then replies "an advanced networking card". "Oooh" utters the baffled friend, "how much did you pay for it?" "...$279" he replies, too proud to profess that the card is dead. The friend looks at him and replies "$279 on a networking card you f*cking idiot?!"

… yeah, point made.

Taking a look at the way the market is moving over the past year or two, you notice that things don't always progress in the way that I, and I'm sure a lot of you think it should. Obviously the dual-core this, and the digital, parallel, and express that all adds up to some fun developments, but are we actually going anywhere with it. Where did Moore go wrong? Funny how something rediculous like a $300 network card gets an oldschool member like myself talking, but this is just proof of how a market once full of innovation lost respect, but gained a buck. Wonder how many people are actually going to be buying that NIC, thinking about how 'cool' it is, or are going to flame this post. Lets see which way supply and demand really curves.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Flakes,

I'd love to believe that it does indeed offer a ping and fps improvement in games, but come on - putting your computer in the fridge will do the same. Its not a matter of how smart someone is when considering the purchase of this card, its really how well the manufacturer is able to make the person want it (remember demand and supply).

People should be willing to spend $300 on upgrading their ISP's network 'a-la' AT&T. If everyone did that, ISPs would have no trouble upgrading us to real high-speed connections: fiber. Thats when you'll see your fps and ping improvements, and it won't be the point of the upgrade (but more like a nice after-effect).

The introduction of products like the "Killer NIC" just proves that people don't have anything better to spend their money on (because lets face it, people really do sell their 6800GTs in SLI for 7800's, and their X2 4600's for Athlon FXs). Having this card display a means of making better use of current high-speed networks and their bandwith limitations would have been a better way to market this product. Selling a network card based on the belief that this is the ultimate solution to the already max'd-out system is naive.

Flakes, maybe you do have it right though - people who buy this card can be "idiots", but I think the manufacturers who come out with these things base their business plans on the demand for flashy items, and consumer gulability.

anyone who buys it is an idiot IMHO.

the card give 3ms less ping and 8-10 fps improvement in some games...

http://www.gdhardware.com/hardware/networking/bigfoot/killer/review/001.htm

u would be better off ussing the money for a better computer.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Nice to see you too Wusy,

Funny thing is you're probably right with regards to the 3Com cards, and even those are expensive LOL. That Killer NIC is faster than my first Windows 95 PC (P133, 32mb RAM). Funny the way things change...

Nice to see you again error! :D

About the Killer NIC, I'm sure our 3Com 3C996-T can challenge it no sweat.
The card looks anything, but special.

frednitney

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
Hi all

First time posting :oops:

I have been attentively reading toms website as of late and thought I might join in on some of the topics...
And my first question was going to be concerning the KillerNic...
(after reading this topic I kinda see that this particular product is not really all its jacked-up-to-be: however I would still like to ask...

Has the "NIC" improved significantly over the last many years: and if so then in what way?

tyvm
J.R.D.

friky19

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
i havent read much about this card, but yes, paying 300 bucks for it is way too off.

I did like the fact that the card runs its own version of linux on it and that u can put software into it and work as a firewall and antivirus. also putting a bit-torrent application to d/l files to a connected external usb drive. but for this theres a really nice router out there that does the same and you dont have to have the pc turned on.

but yes i would like to see this card in action, i wonder if they can send me one to try it out, and if its really worth its pricetag.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
first i want to see reviews of this card, then i wana see if any nic card can match this, i hav some money to burn after buyin my current rig for $300

B4bypUncHER

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Most every targeted user of the killer card would be better off taking the 300 bucks and asking their ISP to increase their bandwidth. I.E. Roadrunner Premium etc.

Now thats a sure way to get better pings.

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
i have 9mb down and 1 meg up i consistantly have a ping og 15 to 18 ms most of the time. i have a 100 mb onboard nic and i think the killer is bogus.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
How much is the Intel Server NIC? Seems a lot better than this "Killer" NIC.

Seems kinda useless to have that much bandwidth between comps in a home enviroment, I can think of a few examples where than kind of speed is usefull but none of them apply to home use.

moparman390

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
It's a really good waste of $300. If you calculate the expected value on something like that (as my brother the stats major would) you would find out it would be a really negative way to spend $300 in a computer, there are so many other ways to put another $300 into a computer that would help so much more. The only way I would ever use one is if I was in a competition to build the most expensive computer possible. It has to come down to $100 before most mainstream gamers would even start to consider one. For now it's for the money is no object crowd.

0p3n

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
People who bought it on newegg are saying great things about it..hell, for a 300$ nic card I make myself believe there is a difference.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Exactly what I said before; $300 / year is $25 / month, which increases your connection speed up to the next package (unless you're at the highest speed already). Otherwise, if the are you live in is already wired with fiber-optic, $300 is pretty much the price you'll pay to have the fiber-ISP run cable into your house so that you can have a straight fiber connection.

Most every targeted user of the killer card would be better off taking the 300 bucks and asking their ISP to increase their bandwidth. I.E. Roadrunner Premium etc.

Now thats a sure way to get better pings.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Fellow faster-than-run-of-the-mill-connection sharer, you know my pain. Bandwith limits remain bandwith limits, regardless of the PC being used. Having a faster router on the other hand makes a hell of a difference.

i have 9mb down and 1 meg up i consistantly have a ping og 15 to 18 ms most of the time. i have a 100 mb onboard nic and i think the killer is bogus.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
LOL

In reality, cards like my dual-port 10/100 Compaq server NICs (IBM processors) are plenty for the home / light server user (without going giabit). The cards allow for port aggregation, fail-over, etc, and can be picked up off of ebay for about 1/10'th of the price of the "killer". Even the lower-end Intel server NICs are nice solutions, running about $100 (which is a lot more sensical). Then again, I can't wait to see someone upgrade from a wifi network connection claiming that standard desktop NICs are too slow, moving to the "killer" and realizing there was no wifi... LOL.

How much is the Intel Server NIC? Seems a lot better than this "Killer" NIC.

http://www.pcnation.com/web/details.asp?item=J48144

This one is $900 - I think there is a fiber one for over $3,000.

Seems kinda useless to have that much bandwidth between comps in a home enviroment...

I wasn't suggesting someone use it in a home environment, it was kind of a joke like the $300 nic in the OP.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Kinda like the guys who claim that there's a discernable difference between running two 6800GT's versus two 7800GT's... Yeah, I'd believe anything when I blatantly wasted my money.

People who bought it on newegg are saying great things about it..hell, for a 300$ nic card I make myself believe there is a difference.

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I WILL MAKE YOU BELIEVE

a lot of ppl will stil buy this cuz its a top "gamer" thing, ppl who bought the physics cards would probably get this

hell i use integrated network ports on my mobo i get around 50 ping on most NA servers with my 3mb down(soonh to be upgraded to 5 for free) and 768kb up

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
I don't agree with you - the physics cards really are worth it ! ... or not.

I actually thought that that fad would last a little bit longer, but maybe I was wrong. On that subject, can't wait to see what the AMD+ATI baby turns out to be like.

I WILL MAKE YOU BELIEVE

a lot of ppl will stil buy this cuz its a top "gamer" thing, ppl who bought the physics cards would probably get this

hell i use integrated network ports on my mobo i get around 50 ping on most NA servers with my 3mb down(soonh to be upgraded to 5 for free) and 768kb up

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
ryokinshin-Your system specs do not warrant spending 300 on an NIC, with 300 you can buy a freakin 7950 gt, or an Xfi fps with money to spare, 2 things your computer could benefit from. Actually benefit, like VERY noticably. Buy yourself some nicer speakers. Buy something good, not something that only the toms 10 k pc might look for, add-ons like that are only worth even looking at when you have expended every other possible upgrade. OOOH buy a bitchin 19 inch lcd with a 2 ms response.

linux_0

Splendid
That is not a "killer" NIC!

This is a "killer" NIC:

http://www.syskonnect.de/e_en/products/adapters/pci_64/sk-9843_v20/sk-9843_v20.html?navid=9

Sure the "killer" NIC has some interesting features but it's only 32bit PCI which is just bad!

It probably does perform a couple of % better than an average NIC but I don't think it's worth it.

Internet access wise a NIC is not going to help much if it helps at all!

Your internet performance is more a function of your router and ISP than anything else.

It might make a huge difference on your LAN depending on how it's built.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I had read reviews of that NIC on some other site... it clearly is meant for individuals needing to maximize their e-penis lengths... the ones that have tried other methods and failed. It just seems silly.