Find own "real" IP address

Hello everyone

I have XP Pro SP1 and connect to ADSL via a router. When I check my IP
address with ipconfig, it understandably gives an address starting with
192.168. I know that I can check my "real" IP address by accessing a site
such as www.whatismyip.com.

Is it possible to identify my "real" IP address without having to access a
site on the internet. Is this possible? I know that it's static but the
reason I'd like to do this is to use the process in VBS or a batch file (if
possible) and distribute it to colleagues.

Thanks for your time.
9 answers Last reply
More about find real address

    Start > Run > type CMD > When command window opens > Type ipconfig /all

    All will be revealed!

    --
    Have a nice day,

    "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone
    >
    > I have XP Pro SP1 and connect to ADSL via a router. When I check my IP
    > address with ipconfig, it understandably gives an address starting with
    > 192.168. I know that I can check my "real" IP address by accessing a site
    > such as www.whatismyip.com.
    >
    > Is it possible to identify my "real" IP address without having to access a
    > site on the internet. Is this possible? I know that it's static but the
    > reason I'd like to do this is to use the process in VBS or a batch file
    > (if
    > possible) and distribute it to colleagues.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    You will need to access your router using a browser of your preference such
    as IE. Once viewing the router configurations look for WAN address. This
    address is your external or as referred to below as real.

    Good Luck.

    "Tosca" wrote:

    > Hello everyone
    >
    > I have XP Pro SP1 and connect to ADSL via a router. When I check my IP
    > address with ipconfig, it understandably gives an address starting with
    > 192.168. I know that I can check my "real" IP address by accessing a site
    > such as www.whatismyip.com.
    >
    > Is it possible to identify my "real" IP address without having to access a
    > site on the internet. Is this possible? I know that it's static but the
    > reason I'd like to do this is to use the process in VBS or a batch file (if
    > possible) and distribute it to colleagues.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    Sorry!

    You have to connect to your router via Explorer or whichever browser you
    use.

    192.168.1.1

    DHCP Status.

    --
    Have a nice day,

    "MacArthur" <at@at.at> wrote in message
    > Start > Run > type CMD > When command window opens > Type ipconfig /all
    >
    > All will be revealed!
    >
    > --
    > Have a nice day,

    > "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello everyone
    >>
    >> I have XP Pro SP1 and connect to ADSL via a router. When I check my IP
    >> address with ipconfig, it understandably gives an address starting with
    >> 192.168. I know that I can check my "real" IP address by accessing a
    >> site
    >> such as www.whatismyip.com.
    >>
    >> Is it possible to identify my "real" IP address without having to access
    >> site on the internet. Is this possible? I know that it's static but the
    >> reason I'd like to do this is to use the process in VBS or a batch file
    >> (if
    >> possible) and distribute it to colleagues.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your time.

    Thank you for each of your comments. I tried connecting to the router and
    then used ipconfig /all and it still reported the 192.168...... address,
    rather than my external one. Looking at the router settings did, indeed,
    reveal the address that I was searching for but can this be achieved without
    accessing the router via the browser? For instance, is there any VBS that
    would achieve this?

    Thanks again for your continued patience!

    No, because that (ISP-assigned) address never comes to your machine, it
    stays at the router. And there it is only seen on the "outside", on the
    inside that router is seen usually as 192.168.x.1 or whatever address it
    uses.. The only way to get that address is to access the router, be it with
    a VBS or other program. I guess somebody _could_ write a script or something
    like that, that accesses the router and reads its settings, but don't ask me
    how.

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > Thank you for each of your comments. I tried connecting to the router and
    > then used ipconfig /all and it still reported the 192.168...... address,
    > rather than my external one. Looking at the router settings did, indeed,
    > reveal the address that I was searching for but can this be achieved
    without
    > accessing the router via the browser? For instance, is there any VBS that
    > would achieve this?
    >
    > Thanks again for your continued patience!

    Thank you Thomas - I figured that would be the answer! I'll post a question
    on the VBS NG to see if anyone there can help.

    "Tosca" <no-spam@thank-you.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for each of your comments. I tried connecting to the router and
    > then used ipconfig /all and it still reported the 192.168...... address,
    > rather than my external one. Looking at the router settings did, indeed,
    > reveal the address that I was searching for but can this be achieved
    > without
    > accessing the router via the browser? For instance, is there any VBS that
    > would achieve this?
    >
    > Thanks again for your continued patience!

    Doesnt your firewall show your IP address in alerts/logs.

    Excuse me if ive misunderstood, ive just seen this thread at this point.

    max

    Hi Max

    Yes, it does - but what I'd like to do is get the "external" IP Address (as
    seen from the Internet) without having to go into the router's settings or
    access a site such as www.whatismyip.com. I've posted a question on the VBS
    NG. The computer and router are talking to each other so I'm surprised that
    VBS (for instance) can't be used to interrogate the router. I wouldn't have
    thought that a password was necessary - I have the MAC address set in the
    router so it's the only computer to have access and I have WEP encryption
    enabled. I know next to nothing about coding so am relying upon those who
    do to guide me. If they say it's v. difficult - if not impossible - I
    accept their opinion!

    As always, I'm very grateful to respondents who give their time freely to
    guide those less experienced.

    Your welcome

    --

    > Thank you Thomas - I figured that would be the answer! I'll post a
    question
    > on the VBS NG to see if anyone there can help.

IP Address Windows XP