New version of ZoneAlarm available

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Version 5.5.062.000 posted just a while ago!

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
24 answers Last reply
More about version zonealarm available
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "Richard Urban" announced:
    > Version 5.5.062.000 posted just a while ago!

    It's sorta hard to find the free download, isn't it?
    But here's the URL:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=zaskulist_download

    *TimDaniels*

    COB,

    Thanks for the "heads up" on the new release. I sure hope
    it works better than the last three releases. I'm still
    using V 4.5.594.000. It's the last one that worked without
    problems!

    Milt

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    You can update using ZA update option - no need for URL
    Michael
    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
    > "Richard Urban" announced:
    >> Version 5.5.062.000 posted just a while ago!
    >
    > It's sorta hard to find the free download, isn't it?
    > But here's the URL:
    > http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp?lid=zaskulist_download
    >

    > *TimDaniels*
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hi Crusty,

    I just removed ZA v5.5.033 and 5.5.011 about a week ago. I had
    occasional lockups or freezes just after logging in and it took me a
    while to determine that ZA was the cause.

    I have my Laptop setup very closely to my desktop and had the same
    problems there too. Switched to an older version of ZA and no more problems.

    I am now using ZA 4.5.594 and no more freezes at all. Do you know if
    there is any version history or "bug" fixes related to the latest
    version of ZA?

    Thanks, Fred

    Richard Urban wrote:
    > Version 5.5.062.000 posted just a while ago!

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "Fred S" <"Fred S"@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    | Hi Crusty,
    |
    | I just removed ZA v5.5.033 and 5.5.011 about a week ago. I had
    | occasional lockups or freezes just after logging in and it took me a
    | while to determine that ZA was the cause.
    |
    | I have my Laptop setup very closely to my desktop and had the same
    | problems there too. Switched to an older version of ZA and no more
    problems.

    | I am now using ZA 4.5.594 and no more freezes at all. Do you know if
    | there is any version history or "bug" fixes related to the latest
    | version of ZA?
    |
    | Thanks, Fred

    Hi Fred -

    I guess the non-disclosure is off version 5.5 now that they've gone gold...

    Those were versions 5.1.033.000 and 5.1.011.000, weren't they? The first
    closed beta of version 5.5 released was version 5.5.050.000.

    One of the issues that ZoneLabs attempted to address in version 5.1.033.000
    was the lock-ups that were experienced by some users.... they made it occur
    lest frequently, but didn't completely solve the problem.

    Apparently the lock-up problems were caused by the permissions database
    becoming corrupted and an un-install followed by a clean install usually
    cleared it up... for a while... until the permissions database got corrupted
    again.

    I'd been struggling with the same problem on versions 5.1.011.000 and, less
    frequently, on 5.1.033.000.

    I didn't experience the lock-up again after installing version 5.5.050.000
    (the closed beta... yes, I was a beta tester). I have installed the final
    release, version 5.5.062.000 and (knock on wood) no problems.

    Jef
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "Jef Norton" wrote:
    > I didn't experience the lock-up again after installing version 5.5.050.000
    > (the closed beta... yes, I was a beta tester). I have installed the final
    > release, version 5.5.062.000 and (knock on wood) no problems.

    Jef NORTON..... was a beta tester for ZoneLabs? LOL!
    No *wonder* it doesn't work!

    (Only kidding, Jef. :-) )

    *TimDaniels*
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Had an issue with disc Check unable to run; turned out to be ZA not allowing
    it for some reason.. reverted to an earlier edition than 5.5.
    > Version 5.5.062.000 posted just a while ago!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    > Version 5.5.062.000 posted just a while ago!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "The new phone book's here, the new phone book's here!!!"
    --Navin Johnson
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Jef Norton wrote:
    > "Fred S" <"Fred S"@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    > | Hi Crusty,
    > |
    > | I just removed ZA v5.5.033 and 5.5.011 about a week ago. I had
    > | occasional lockups or freezes just after logging in and it took me a
    > | while to determine that ZA was the cause.
    > |
    > | I have my Laptop setup very closely to my desktop and had the same
    > | problems there too. Switched to an older version of ZA and no more
    > problems.
    > |
    > | I am now using ZA 4.5.594 and no more freezes at all. Do you know if
    > | there is any version history or "bug" fixes related to the latest
    > | version of ZA?
    > |
    > | Thanks, Fred
    > |

    > Hi Fred -
    >
    > I guess the non-disclosure is off version 5.5 now that they've gone gold...
    >
    > Those were versions 5.1.033.000 and 5.1.011.000, weren't they? The first
    > closed beta of version 5.5 released was version 5.5.050.000.
    >
    > One of the issues that ZoneLabs attempted to address in version 5.1.033.000
    > was the lock-ups that were experienced by some users.... they made it occur
    > lest frequently, but didn't completely solve the problem.
    >
    > Apparently the lock-up problems were caused by the permissions database
    > becoming corrupted and an un-install followed by a clean install usually
    > cleared it up... for a while... until the permissions database got corrupted
    > again.
    >
    > I'd been struggling with the same problem on versions 5.1.011.000 and, less
    > frequently, on 5.1.033.000.
    >
    > I didn't experience the lock-up again after installing version 5.5.050.000
    > (the closed beta... yes, I was a beta tester). I have installed the final
    > release, version 5.5.062.000 and (knock on wood) no problems.
    >
    > Jef

    Hi Jef,

    Thanks for the info - I'm going to hold for a while and watch this NG to
    see if problems show up.

    It's good to know, however, that you've been a beta tester and seem
    comfortable with the latest.

    Would you be so kind as to post here if you do get a lockup again?

    Thanks, Fred
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    | Jef NORTON..... was a beta tester for ZoneLabs? LOL!
    | No *wonder* it doesn't work!
    |
    | (Only kidding, Jef. :-) )
    |

    | *TimDaniels*

    Hi Tim -

    Yeah... I got your irony... right here! Now if I could only find a fleeting
    relationship to rich "Uncle Peter" (Norton), I suppose I could go begging to
    Symantec for my share of the booty! ;-)

    Actually, ZoneLabs has for some time routinely recruited volunteer beta
    testers. Sometimes we even get nifty t-shirts!

    Jef
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    the chkdsk issue has been resolved since 5.1.033. The newest 5.5.062
    seems pretty solid, but the final 4.5.594 release was solid too. It's
    always best to do a clean install rather than an update.
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Richard Urban Wrote:
    > Version 5.5.062.000 posted just a while ago!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    thanks for the information appreciated

    --
    krishnakanth
    krishnakanth's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=2480

    <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    > the chkdsk issue has been resolved since 5.1.033. The newest 5.5.062
    > seems pretty solid, but the final 4.5.594 release was solid too. It's
    > always best to do a clean install rather than an update.

    Been looking at your conversation. The only thing they have not yet got
    sorted is Internet Connection Sharing. You have to have the paid for Pro
    version to run it and under version 4.5 it was great. Ever since 5 came
    out all versions have refused to work with ICS so I am stuck on 4.5
    seemingly forever. The last beta worked very intermittently but that is as
    good as they've got. I just hope they get it sorted because the older
    version 4.5 gets, the more exposed I feel.

    Buccaneer
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    | Hi Jef,
    |
    | Thanks for the info - I'm going to hold for a while and watch this NG to
    | see if problems show up.
    |
    | It's good to know, however, that you've been a beta tester and seem
    | comfortable with the latest.
    |
    | Would you be so kind as to post here if you do get a lockup again?
    |
    | Thanks, Fred

    Hi Fred -

    Certainly. I've been impressed with the stability of the beta release
    (5.5.050.000) and have yet to have any issues with 5.5.062.000.

    You might also want to monitor the chatter at the forums at the Zone Labs
    User Forum:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/userForum/userForum_agreement.jsp

    Jef
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    "jt3" <jt3@cranky.computer> wrote in message
    | Do you know what relation any of this might bear to the firewall (ZoneLabs
    | supplied) in the CA EZArmor package?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Joe

    Hi Joe -

    Sorry - I don't.

    I am aware that ZoneLabs and Computer Associates market the other's product,
    integrated with their own.

    I'd check the Computer Associates web site - http://www.my-etrust.com/ - and
    see if anything has been announced. I do see, after a quick look, that on
    November 8th they announced the availability of new versions of their
    Anti-Virus and Firewall products ... but I don't see anything on their
    integrated product EZArmor.

    I use eTrust Anti-Virus, so I'll be checking out the new version.

    Jef
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hi Joe -

    After a bit more poking about, I found the following on the upgrade page for
    EZ Antivirus:

    ****This upgrade it for EZ Antivirus standalone users only. For EZ Armor
    users, we are currently testing a full upgrade of eTrust EZ Armor to be
    released around November 1, 2004. As eTrust EZ Armor is a more complex
    product, it requires more rigorous testing and certification prior to
    release. We do not recommend that users with eTrust EZ Armor install the
    upgrade of eTrust EZ Antivirus****

    Jef
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hi Jef,
    Thanks for your reply. I had seen the upgrade announcement, didn't find
    your second ref, but took stand-alone to mean what it said.
    I get hangs every so often--Event Viewer says two of the firewall files are
    corrupted, but everythings often OK for awhile afterward, so it sounded a
    little like what you described, so that was why I asked.

    Joe

    "Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Joe -
    >
    > After a bit more poking about, I found the following on the upgrade page
    for
    > EZ Antivirus:
    >
    > ****This upgrade it for EZ Antivirus standalone users only. For EZ Armor
    > users, we are currently testing a full upgrade of eTrust EZ Armor to be
    > released around November 1, 2004. As eTrust EZ Armor is a more complex
    > product, it requires more rigorous testing and certification prior to
    > release. We do not recommend that users with eTrust EZ Armor install the
    > upgrade of eTrust EZ Antivirus****
    >
    > Jef

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    What are the new list of features ? Anyone can list them please ?

    --
    krishnakanth
    krishnakanth's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=2480
    View this thread: http://forums.tech-arena.com/showthread.php?t=16236
    Tech-Arena - http://www.tech-arena.com
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    frodo@theshire.org in news:10p1u6c21r29j2a@corp.supernews.com:

    > the chkdsk issue has been resolved since 5.1.033. The newest 5.5.062
    > seems pretty solid, but the final 4.5.594 release was solid too.

    I'm gonna add my input re this thread.

    My exper has been mostly with Win9x until very recently.
    I still have a WinME hooked on equal terms to the WinXP via retail router. (both using ZA 5.1.033)

    I always do 'fresh' reinstalls of ZA updates. Za auto-cfgs the adapters of each computer, but I have to enter both computer's Ips (as
    used/assigned by the router) into ZA's Trusted zone. WinXP needs additional Trusted zone entries, both are localhost Ips: 127.0.0.1 and
    0.0.0.0
    This is to fix some weird XP problem.. I Googled the trouble and found one of the mvps recommending adding the localhosts to cure this
    trouble I had at the time.

    -----
    Re CA's etrust (eztrust whatever)

    I briefly tried the 'trial' EZ FW (=ZA 4.xx...) and EZ AV. Neither seemed very complete/thorough. And I didn't want to use EZ's old ver of
    the ZA FW. So, on the xp, for awhile, I ran the current ZA (5.1.033) with the EZ AV. Saw no signs of problems, updating, that I recall... but
    soon after I deleted EZ AV and installed NAV, so there's no EZ anymore.

    ---
    ...found this thread when Googling to read comments on the LATEST ZA update :-)
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> in

    >"Fred S" <"Fred S"@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >| Hi Crusty,

    >| I am now using ZA 4.5.594 and no more freezes at all. Do you know if
    >| there is any version history or "bug" fixes related to the latest
    >| version of ZA?

    [ ]
    > Those were versions 5.1.033.000 and 5.1.011.000, weren't they? The
    > first closed beta of version 5.5 released was version 5.5.050.000.
    >
    > One of the issues that ZoneLabs attempted to address in version
    > 5.1.033.000 was the lock-ups that were experienced by some users....
    > they made it occur lest frequently, but didn't completely solve the
    > problem.
    >
    > Apparently the lock-up problems were caused by the permissions
    > database becoming corrupted and an un-install followed by a clean
    > install usually cleared it up... for a while... until the permissions
    > database got corrupted again.
    >
    > I'd been struggling with the same problem on versions 5.1.011.000 and,
    > less frequently, on 5.1.033.000.
    >
    > I didn't experience the lock-up again after installing version
    > 5.5.050.000 (the closed beta... yes, I was a beta tester). I have
    > installed the final release, version 5.5.062.000 and (knock on wood)
    > no problems.

    history in on the dl page
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    >> I always do 'fresh' reinstalls of ZA updates. Za auto-cfgs the adapters
    >> of each computer, but I have to enter both computer's Ips (as
    used/assigned by the router) into ZA's Trusted zone. WinXP needs additional
    Trusted zone entries, both are localhost Ips: 127.0.0.1 and
    0.0.0.0
    This is to fix some weird XP problem.. I Googled the trouble and found one
    of the mvps recommending adding the localhosts to cure this
    trouble I had at the time.

    OP:
    The 0.0.0.0 address is required for DHCP clients, as they use it during
    bootup in communicating with a DHCP server.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    MsOsWin@anon.com wrote:
    > "Jef Norton" <jefn_REMOVE_YOUR_SHORTS_@sbcglobal.net> in
    >

    >>"Fred S" <"Fred S"@anonymous.com> wrote in message
    >>| Hi Crusty,
    >

    >>| I am now using ZA 4.5.594 and no more freezes at all. Do you know if
    >>| there is any version history or "bug" fixes related to the latest
    >>| version of ZA?
    >>|

    > [ ]
    >
    >>Those were versions 5.1.033.000 and 5.1.011.000, weren't they? The
    >>first closed beta of version 5.5 released was version 5.5.050.000.
    >>
    >>One of the issues that ZoneLabs attempted to address in version
    >>5.1.033.000 was the lock-ups that were experienced by some users....
    >>they made it occur lest frequently, but didn't completely solve the
    >>problem.
    >>
    >>Apparently the lock-up problems were caused by the permissions
    >>database becoming corrupted and an un-install followed by a clean
    >>install usually cleared it up... for a while... until the permissions
    >>database got corrupted again.
    >>
    >>I'd been struggling with the same problem on versions 5.1.011.000 and,
    >>less frequently, on 5.1.033.000.
    >>
    >>I didn't experience the lock-up again after installing version
    >>5.5.050.000 (the closed beta... yes, I was a beta tester). I have
    >>installed the final release, version 5.5.062.000 and (knock on wood)
    >>no problems.
    >

    > history in on the dl page
    > http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

    Hi Jef,

    Thanks for the information. They do say they've improved stability and
    eliminated a "hang" that occurred with ipconfig/renew. Seems like they
    have moved forward which is good.

    Are you still having good performance and no hangs?

    Fred
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    To Whom It May Concern:

    The following e-mail updates regarding this issue are self-explanatory.

    Richard A. Landkamer