New Conroe System still won't POST - don't know what to do

mattk8

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
About 2 weeks ago I excited ordered the parts I thought would make a great, overclockable, and quiet Conroe system:
- Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi
- E6400 processor
- Zalman 7700 cooler
- Seasonic 430W PSU
- GeForce 7600GS (silent and helpfully limits my gaming :)
- 2 x 1GB RAM AmpX/Wintec 5400
- Antec Solo case
- Sony DDU1615 DVD Drive (quiet DVD reader)
- Pioneer DVD+-R/RAM
- Existing 250 GB PATA Seagate drive
- New 320 GB SATA Seagate Drive

** Step 1

When I (finally!) received all the parts from Newegg, I put them together. Everything seemed to power on, all fans running, MB LED are lighted, but otherwise nothing happened, no POST, no nothing. I checked and rechecked that all the connections were secure, etc. without success. Although my monitor has always worked, I tried the D-sub cables and tried another known working monitor in case it was a display problem. No dice.

I called Newegg and ultimately Asus to investigate. I figured the RAM or the MB would be the problem. The Asus tech had me clear the CMOS (battery removal plus jumper reset), remove the RAM, then the CPU. I do not have a PC speaker in my case, so he had me plug my computer speakers into the sound output on the motherboard. Even without RAM and/or CPU the MB did not produce beeps. BUT, I wasn't (and am still not) totally sure if the MB would beep without a PC Speaker. The Asus tech concluded that the MB was dead so I RMA'd it back.

** Step 2

After waiting many anxious days I received my replacement P5B Deluxe/WiFi and I figured the problem would likely be resolved. With great anticipation I turned it on..... no such luck: no POST, no beeps when RAM removed, etc. Everything appears to power up just as before, but nothing else. All connections and basic things seem ok.

** Step 3

I figured at this point that it was almost certainly the RAM, since many people seem to be having RAM compatibility problems and this would prevent POST. Today I picked up for testing 1 GB of Kingston RAM KVR533D2 that is on Asus' list of QVL RAM for the P5B Deluxe MB. I picked up some Corsair value RAM 1 GB for good measure. I tried testing with each of these RAM DIMM's, Kingston, then Corsair, then my original AmpX/Wintec and still no POST in any scenario. At the same time I picked up an ATI X1300 just in case the video card was the problem. Still, no POST.

** Step 4

The system at this point is just the Monitor, Case, PSU, MB, CPU and fan, and Video card. Since I'd replaced everything other than the CPU, I just picked up a new CPU, the same model E6400. Again, no POST, no nothing other than powering on.

I've had the PSU running with my old system (Athlong 1.33 GHz - old I know), so I don't think that's a problem, besides everything seems powered in the system. The monitor I know works. The case does nothing functional, and every other component I've replaced. Yet, the system still will not POST.

The only thing I can think of is that the case is shorting something so I will try building the system outside of the case, but if that doesn't work, what do you all recommend? Is anyone else having this hard a time? I am seriously frustrated and not sure what to do next. Thanks for any help/advice.

Holy replacement parts! Man! I know this is well...not within the realm of what you have been through, but did you plug in the 4 pin 12v power connector from the power supply to the CPU? Did you break a mirror recently? 8O

Scribs

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
...or walk under any ladders? or past any sinister looking black cats?

How experienced are you at building systems, are you sure you have all the power cords in the right places (like the previous poster mentioned). Also, although the PSU works, do you know that it actually supports your motherboard? I cant remember what standard would have been used with that sorta PSU, maybe someone else might be able to comment, but I wonder if maybe it doesnt have the same number of pins or setup or whatever. I cant see what else it could be other than setup, where everything has been tested and replaced pretty much...

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
I think it's a good idea to pull it out of the case and bench test it. I hate to say this, but it smells like a PSU issue to me. However, you wouldn't be the first person in the world to get 2 bad MB's in a row.

Are you sure you have the correct BIOS version?

mattk8

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
This helped!!

You can't believe how painful it was to realize, but I didn't connected the secondary ATX power to the MB. Ouch. I've never build a system that had such a thing, a despite everything I did, I didn't realize this until now thanks to your help.

I can now POST!!!!!

That's the terrific news. The bad news is that when windows tries to start, it stalls out, and reboots. I can get into BIOS settings and change things (if needed), but windows is not booting up at this point. I used this drive on my old system, and almost all the parts are new except the HDD. But, even if I boot into safe mode, it still fails and then reboots. The boot up fails ever time at amdagp (which is interesting because I no longer have AGP or an AMD cpu). Ideas? This is probably something really simple. I really, really appreciate your help.

This helped!!

You can't believe how painful it was to realize, but I didn't connected the secondary ATX power to the MB. Ouch. I've never build a system that had such a thing, a despite everything I did, I didn't realize this until now thanks to your help.

I can now POST!!!!!

That's the terrific news. The bad news is that when windows tries to start, it stalls out, and reboots. I can get into BIOS settings and change things (if needed), but windows is not booting up at this point. I used this drive on my old system, and almost all the parts are new except the HDD. But, even if I boot into safe mode, it still fails and then reboots. The boot up fails ever time at amdagp (which is interesting because I no longer have AGP or an AMD cpu). Ideas? This is probably something really simple. I really, really appreciate your help.

:trophy: Hooray!

This helped!!

I can now POST!!!!!

Did you format and partition the HD with the windows cd?

mattk8

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
This an old(er) drive. It's a 250GB PATA drive I've been running WinXP off of. I haven't even opened the new SATA drive yet, I just want to get this one working (assuming that is possible). Is there something I would need to do to make that work? Right now it is just rebooting shortly after windows kicks off.

I plan to update the BIOS but I can't do this until tomorrow (when I can use a computer at work to put a new BIOS on a flash drive).

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Your old copy of Windows (on your old hard drive) isn't going to work with your new CPU. You will need to do a clean new install on your new hard drive and download all current updates. If I were you, I'd remove your old drive untill I got everything running. I'm not certain, but I think you'll need SP2 for CD2 to work correctly.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
This an old(er) drive. It's a 250GB PATA drive I've been running WinXP off of. I haven't even opened the new SATA drive yet, I just want to get this one working (assuming that is possible). Is there something I would need to do to make that work? Right now it is just rebooting shortly after windows kicks off.

I plan to update the BIOS but I can't do this until tomorrow (when I can use a computer at work to put a new BIOS on a flash drive).

It's rebooting because it's on a brand newchipset. it crashes and reboots when it expects an AGP card and finds an alien video card. Try disabling in the Bios all of "Spread Sectrum," 32 bit HD access, and Enhanced mode IDE. But I think ultimately you'll have to install from scratch.

How about you install your new SATA drive NOW with your windows CD. Then maybe you can copy files from the PATA IDE drive onto the newly instaled SATA drive. Unplug your IDE drive for now. and plug in the power and SATA cable to your new SATA drive, try this:

Boot up into your BIOS and select FIRST BOOT DEVICE AS CD or DVD ROM.

Insert the windows CD in the CD/DVD ROM.

Shut down the system.

Power on the system and when prompted on the scren PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD...press any key then.

Do a format and partition of your NEW SATA DRIVEyou have already installed.

The computer will reboot when formatted and windows CD will load installation files and reboot. Windows will install on your new SATA drive.

This is my best suggestion. Your IDE Hard drive has your old computers drivers installed and is not loading onto your new MB and CPU setup. That's whay your system keeps crashing. Try installing windows on your new SATA drive like I described.

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Load up your Windows CD into the CD?DVD drive and get it to boot from that and when the Menu screen comes up and ask if you want to install or repair windows. Select repair. Different mother board, different drivers, that's why your having the Windows Boot problem, and have your drivers disks ready too after the repair.

R Collins 8)

redraider_gamer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
This helped!!

I can now POST!!!!!

Lessons he will never forget.

Load the SATA with a clean install and all will be well...

My Rig:
Core 2 Duo X6800 Conroe (Stock Clock for Now)
Intel D975XBXLRK
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF
2 GB Corsair Pro PC6400 4-4-4-15
74GB 10k Raptor
ATI X1900XTX
SB Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD OEM Burners (x2)
Ultra X-Finity 600w SLi Certified PS
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case

mattk8

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
I tried repair but the utility did not seem to recognize my existing installation (I tried several times...). I am in the process of doing a clean install, and I will let you all know the result. Thanks again for everyone's help!