Sign in with
Your question

2007 & DX10 - What can we look forward to?

Last response: in Systems
September 13, 2006 10:53:30 PM

hey guys!

I have finally finished Uni, and have been working, & finally have some money about my person, my uni computer (3ghz p4,1gb RAM,6800 softmodded -> 6800GT) is showing its age, and so now its time to build a new computer, hurrah, I hear you shout.

However, with DX10 and Vista appearing next year I have heard rumblings that it would be better, for now at least, to wait. I was wondering, if I instead do the build next year what kind of impact will that have on the kind of system I will be able to build on the same budget.

I mean, obviously the new thing is just around the corner, but what kind of system, inc. graphics card, processer etc, will I be able to build next year, that I couldnt right now, will the performance hike be substantial?

More about : 2007 dx10 forward

September 14, 2006 3:42:03 AM

I think if you look at the Crysis videos on Google Video you'll have a good idea of what the next-gen video cards will be capable of.
September 14, 2006 3:59:53 AM

Here's what I know for sure: Next-gen video cards will be capable of using a lot of power and making a lot of heat. You wanna know about performance? Sorry; I'm still trying to get over these power usage estimates that I've been reading.
Related resources
September 14, 2006 4:42:52 AM

DirectX10 and Vista are not the only things coming soon. Think about that quadcore as well!! More and more news stuff are appearing each year and the PRICE keeps increasing!

The best advice is this: think of the games you want to play within these 2(at most 3) years. Think of a system that can take them on.

Like me, I'm thinking only of NWN2 and C&C3 at the moment. (If better games come out next year, i'll be in the same dilemma u are in right now! LOL 8O )

If you keep on waiting, the money that you have saved will never be enough (unless u are earning some good cash).

If we keep on waiting for the "better" one, we will have only "dream" computers......yes.....only in our dreams! (nothing concrete to show, hehe! :lol:  )
September 14, 2006 4:46:15 AM

Quote:
Here's what I know for sure: Next-gen video cards will be capable of using a lot of power and making a lot of heat. You wanna know about performance? Sorry; I'm still trying to get over these power usage estimates that I've been reading.

LOL Yeah something like 300 wats just for the video card...CRAZY!...I'm still going to build a new PC next year with a DX10 card though.

Future system build (hopefully May 2007):

Quad-core processor (AMD or Intel which ever one is better at the time)
R600 Video Card(DX10)
2GB of DDR2 or DDR3 if available
Raptor 74GB hard drive(I already own)
Case with water cooling
1 Kilowat powersupply or a Nuclear Reactor

But yeah I can't wait :o 
September 14, 2006 4:59:23 AM

In my opinion, stay away from the first-generation DirectX 10 GPUs, unless you need to have one for the sake of having one. ATi and nVidia have shoved power consumption and heat issues aside, because the only thing either of them care about right now is beating each other to market and claiming the title of having the first DX10 GPU. Once the initial rush is done, I believe both companies have plans to shrink the process type, which should decrease the issue of power/heat. On top of that, I have heard a rumor that DirectX 10.1 will be right around the corner, and that may be worth waiting for...

Next year, the main talk of the CPU town will probably be K8L, while Intel's Kentsfield squares off aginst the AMD 4x4 platform in the quad-core market. End result: hopefully, dual-core CPUs will become cheaper still. Oh - Intel will release the 45nm Wolfdale/Ridgefield cores late next year.

The point is that you'll have to bite the bullet and build at some point; otherwise, you'll be waiting forever. Personally, I think that you could build now and still remain competitive with most of next year's products. In the end, it's your money and your descision. Pick one and be happy with it.
September 14, 2006 5:01:20 AM

Quote:

LOL Yeah something like 300 wats just for the video card...CRAZY!...I'm still going to build a new PC next year with a DX10 card though.

Future system build (hopefully May 2007):

Quad-core processor (AMD or Intel which ever one is better at the time)
R600 Video Card(DX10)
2GB of DDR2 or DDR3 if available
Raptor 74GB hard drive(I already own)
Case with water cooling
1 Kilowat powersupply or a Nuclear Reactor

But yeah I can't wait :o 

I sure do hope a Nuclear Reactor isn't a requirement for Vista and DX10, think of all the 3 eyed fish.
September 14, 2006 5:05:35 AM

Too late:

September 14, 2006 5:22:26 AM

I wouldn't worry to much about CPUs. What's available right now, wether AMD or Intel, provide plenty of computing power for most present applications and have enough juice left for what's coming in the short/mid term. You can just pick the best you can get and be good for a while.

As for GPU, you can do like many others do, buy a decent mid end card and wait for the new generation to come out and see how things are going.

If you can do with what you got now then simply wait till next year and see how things are evolving. Like some other posters have said, eventually you got to take a plunge, better products will always be around the corner......
September 14, 2006 8:23:57 AM

ok, I am of course aware that you do eventually have to make the plunge and stop waiting, I was just worried that DX10 would make any current graphics card defunct more quickly than usual.

Your right though, quite often in a new gen of cards they require ridiculous amounts of power! God damn 6800 Ultra was the worst offender!

Nvidia and ATI clearly havent heard of the kyoto protocol
September 14, 2006 9:15:28 AM

Power efficiency is not part of their vocabulary. I don't know if it's only rumors, hearsay or what not but it seems that power consummation has taken the back seat as far as the next gen. card is concerned. Anyways, we'll know soon enough if this proves to be true.
September 14, 2006 11:38:26 AM

what games are you looking forward to? name them..... :D 

I'm sure the x1950xtx and 7950GX2 (maybe even the 7900GTX) can handle those games that you are thinking of right now.

It will be awhile for developers to finish games for the DX10.

I have a question tho....

Will the cards I have mentioned (x1950xtx and 7950GX2) be able to enable Vista Aeroglass or will I really have to get a Dx10 card??

For games, i'm sticking with the x1950xtx until the Dx10 cards evolve and stabilize in terms of power consumption and price.
September 14, 2006 11:22:56 PM

Supreme commander and crysis i guess! but thats only cos they are the ones we know about! Think I am gonna wait till next year all the same, see what the DX10 cards have to offer, and will be able to get ultra powerful dx9 cards for a bargain price if the DX10s arent up to much...... SLI GX2's anyone?? Just hope my little 6800 can hold out till then, come on baby!
September 14, 2006 11:55:34 PM

Vista Aeroglass is directX 9
September 15, 2006 1:18:46 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean. Although right now I'm glad I'm getting a 1kW PSU! Although if they come out with something bigger I'll be really happy too. Running a media center PC and a graphics workstation in one PC is a pain... especially when everyone wants to watch something different!

However, I am interested in seeing how much this will actually do for performance. I don't have any DX10 games yet (surprise surprise!) so I wonder how well it'll work with my DX9 games. I'm sure it'll run fast, but how fast?
September 15, 2006 1:26:47 AM

In addition to quad core CPUs, Vista, and the video cards that will require you to build a dedicated power plant in your back yard (have you heard about the external video cards yet), there are a few other things to look forward to in 2007. One thing that will likely be promoted is physics in games, whether it be from ATI, Nvidia, or Ageia (UT 2007 will be title for Ageia). Also, another upcoming technology, for laptops in particual, is the hybrid hard drive. They have potential for high speed and large capacity while using very little power. I love my Raptors, but it would be nice to replace them with just one drive that has better performance/capacity/power consumption.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/21/the_graphics_state_of_the_union/
!