I recently upgraded from W98 to W XP home edition. Now I want to format a
floppy and I went to find the MSDOS prompt but it's not in my program file
list or startup list. I looked through the Windows folder and don't
recognize it there.

I searched for msdos*.* and found some leftover stuff in a W98 folder. No
exe file.

Any ideas where it is? Do I have it?

Or alternatively how else to format a floppy as a bootable system disk.

Kozmo

Click on MY COMPUTER.. right click Drive A and select format..

"Kozmo" <kozmo@ranchofraunch.com> wrote in message
>I recently upgraded from W98 to W XP home edition. Now I want to format a
> floppy and I went to find the MSDOS prompt but it's not in my program file
> list or startup list. I looked through the Windows folder and don't
> recognize it there.
>
> I searched for msdos*.* and found some leftover stuff in a W98 folder. No
> exe file.
>
> Any ideas where it is? Do I have it?
>
> Or alternatively how else to format a floppy as a bootable system disk.
>
> Kozmo

thanks much.

kozmo

"Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Click on MY COMPUTER.. right click Drive A and select format..
>

> "Kozmo" <kozmo@ranchofraunch.com> wrote in message
> >I recently upgraded from W98 to W XP home edition. Now I want to format
> > floppy and I went to find the MSDOS prompt but it's not in my program
file
> > list or startup list. I looked through the Windows folder and don't
> > recognize it there.
> >
> > I searched for msdos*.* and found some leftover stuff in a W98 folder.
No
> > exe file.
> >
> > Any ideas where it is? Do I have it?
> >
> > Or alternatively how else to format a floppy as a bootable system disk.
> >
> > Kozmo

Hi
Click on start, then on run type cmd and click on OK.
Command prompt file is now cmd .exe, located in the %windir%\system32 folder.

Nice feature of XP is when you go r-click a-drive in My Computer and select
format you can create a DOS bootable disk.

Proudly South African.

"Kozmo" wrote:

> I recently upgraded from W98 to W XP home edition. Now I want to format a
> floppy and I went to find the MSDOS prompt but it's not in my program file
> list or startup list. I looked through the Windows folder and don't
> recognize it there.
>
> I searched for msdos*.* and found some leftover stuff in a W98 folder. No
> exe file.
>
> Any ideas where it is? Do I have it?
>
> Or alternatively how else to format a floppy as a bootable system disk.
>
> Kozmo

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The MsDos prompt should be located in your Accessories folder.

"Kozmo" <kozmo@ranchofraunch.com> skrev i melding
>I recently upgraded from W98 to W XP home edition. Now I want to format a
> floppy and I went to find the MSDOS prompt but it's not in my program file
> list or startup list. I looked through the Windows folder and don't
> recognize it there.
>
> I searched for msdos*.* and found some leftover stuff in a W98 folder. No
> exe file.
>
> Any ideas where it is? Do I have it?

If you want a command line interface you can try running the following
programs:

- cmd.exe, XPs native interpreter. There is also a shortcut to this in
Accessories in your Start-menu.

- command.com. This is supposedly more compatible with MS-DOS, but
perfomance is much slower than cmd.exe.

Please have in mind that XP, unlike Windows 98, is not really an MS-DOS
based operating system.

Kozmo wrote:
> thanks much.
>
> kozmo

See it was so hard a mentally-retarded baboon could have found it. Try
first, *THEN* whine when you've tried all options.

We don't take kindly to those who whine first...

lose his marbles?