where'd my MSDOS prompt go to?

I recently upgraded from W98 to W XP home edition. Now I want to format a
floppy and I went to find the MSDOS prompt but it's not in my program file
list or startup list. I looked through the Windows folder and don't
recognize it there.

I searched for msdos*.* and found some leftover stuff in a W98 folder. No
exe file.

Any ideas where it is? Do I have it?

Or alternatively how else to format a floppy as a bootable system disk.

Kozmo
6 answers Last reply
More about where msdos prompt

    Click on MY COMPUTER.. right click Drive A and select format..

    "Kozmo" <kozmo@ranchofraunch.com> wrote in message
    >I recently upgraded from W98 to W XP home edition. Now I want to format a
    > floppy and I went to find the MSDOS prompt but it's not in my program file
    > list or startup list. I looked through the Windows folder and don't
    > recognize it there.
    >
    > I searched for msdos*.* and found some leftover stuff in a W98 folder. No
    > exe file.
    >
    > Any ideas where it is? Do I have it?
    >
    > Or alternatively how else to format a floppy as a bootable system disk.
    >
    > Kozmo

    thanks much.

    kozmo

    "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Click on MY COMPUTER.. right click Drive A and select format..
    >

    > "Kozmo" <kozmo@ranchofraunch.com> wrote in message
    > >I recently upgraded from W98 to W XP home edition. Now I want to format
    > > floppy and I went to find the MSDOS prompt but it's not in my program
    file
    > > list or startup list. I looked through the Windows folder and don't
    > > recognize it there.
    > >
    > > I searched for msdos*.* and found some leftover stuff in a W98 folder.
    No
    > > exe file.
    > >
    > > Any ideas where it is? Do I have it?
    > >
    > > Or alternatively how else to format a floppy as a bootable system disk.
    > >
    > > Kozmo

    Hi
    Click on start, then on run type cmd and click on OK.
    Command prompt file is now cmd .exe, located in the %windir%\system32 folder.

    Nice feature of XP is when you go r-click a-drive in My Computer and select
    format you can create a DOS bootable disk.

    Proudly South African.

    "Kozmo" wrote:

    > I recently upgraded from W98 to W XP home edition. Now I want to format a
    > floppy and I went to find the MSDOS prompt but it's not in my program file
    > list or startup list. I looked through the Windows folder and don't
    > recognize it there.
    >
    > I searched for msdos*.* and found some leftover stuff in a W98 folder. No
    > exe file.
    >
    > Any ideas where it is? Do I have it?
    >
    > Or alternatively how else to format a floppy as a bootable system disk.
    >
    > Kozmo

    The MsDos prompt should be located in your Accessories folder.

    "Kozmo" <kozmo@ranchofraunch.com> skrev i melding
    >I recently upgraded from W98 to W XP home edition. Now I want to format a
    > floppy and I went to find the MSDOS prompt but it's not in my program file
    > list or startup list. I looked through the Windows folder and don't
    > recognize it there.
    >
    > I searched for msdos*.* and found some leftover stuff in a W98 folder. No
    > exe file.
    >
    > Any ideas where it is? Do I have it?

    If you want a command line interface you can try running the following
    programs:

    - cmd.exe, XPs native interpreter. There is also a shortcut to this in
    Accessories in your Start-menu.

    - command.com. This is supposedly more compatible with MS-DOS, but
    perfomance is much slower than cmd.exe.

    Please have in mind that XP, unlike Windows 98, is not really an MS-DOS
    based operating system.

    Kozmo wrote:
    > thanks much.
    >
    > kozmo

    See it was so hard a mentally-retarded baboon could have found it. Try
    first, *THEN* whine when you've tried all options.

    We don't take kindly to those who whine first...

    lose his marbles?

Floppy Disk MS-DOS Microsoft Format Windows XP