doombusterfx

Nov 9, 2005
Hi, i want to buy a custom laptop and i want to know wich is the best cpu i can get. Wich one between this cpu is the most powerful??

1) Intel® Pentium® 4 640 Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB

2) Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB

3) AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4800+ with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology

Thanx!!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hi, i want to buy a custom laptop and i want to know wich is the best cpu i can get. Wich one between this cpu is the most powerful??

1) Intel® Pentium® 4 640 Desktop Processor w/ HT Technology 3.2GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB

2) Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB

3) AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4800+ with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology

Thanx!!

Between those three I'd go for the COre 2 unless the 4800+ has a better video card. I just bought a Turion X2 1.6 and I'm more than happy with it. There is a TL60 @ 2.0 GHz from HP. The Core 2 is faster but not in such a way that it's noticeable under use (unless you're a psychotic renderer or DVD encoder).
If you want to play games COre 2 will give you a better min fps for certain games but the video card will make the difference. I haven't had a chance to put Merom through it's paces so I can't give an informed opinion as to whether it's noticeably faster but according to benches of Turion X2(here on Tom's), it does the job.
My laptop does have a Vista sticker,(Compaq v3030US) but again between those three the Core 2 stands out.(4800+ is a desktop chip- power wise, P4 sucks)

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Would you mind telling us what you plan to do with that laptop and including the GPUs as well, the CPU alone is a small part of the story...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Geez that makes me feel better about my Turion. Everbody keeps talking about it being too hot in comparison to the mobile C2D

Really, my 1.6 dual gets barely warm while playing a DVD. That's why I went with Turion X2. The standby power is so good that I can suspend my machine for more than an hour and only use about 2% battery.

Come to think about it I don't even know why I went for the Turion. The C2D is obviously better but something told me to just get the Turion.
[Shrugs]
My next laptop though will be a C2D that I'll use for travel. Same specs same company, different processor. It'll just be better on the battery.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I suggest you, not to listen to BaronBS. He is lame AMD-fanboy troll!
He said that he has 5 jobs and that he is the inventor of AMD 4x4 platform. DO you belive him?

Hell no I don't believe he invented 4x4. No one person invents computer technology anymore. So on that count he's BSing
I don't think he's not trolling now so we can talk to him like normal computer enthusiasts. When he trolls expect me to be on his ass like flys to a cake. I'll cut his own testicles off and feed it to him. And I'll do it in a jiffy. You know Why? Cause I dont give a F :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Besides no one told me to buy the AMD version, no posts influence me either. I just like diversity in the computers that I use at home.
And it was cheap :D

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know alot of you talk about heat. Ya I know. I have a P4 3.4 ee Laptop with the extra 2mb l3 cache. Before Presscott. There are laptop cooler. Which are great. keeping the laptop cool and keeping the heat away from your legs. So you dont have slow Roasted human Rockey Mountain oysters.

I have them both for my P4 3.4 ee and Centreno duo 1.66 acer. Some might say why do you need it for a chip like centreno duo when it run alot cooler. Well it might not get hot But flip your Laptops over and what do you see. Well on the Centreno I see 3 vents on the bottem. Laying it on the lap covers the vents and it make the laptop hot. Which in turn make the fan run faster and waste power.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have nexus for the desktop replacement.

And a apc cooler pritty dang cheap but keep the vents open while it on your lap.

My next laptop going Laptop cooler with fans on it.

But there basicly to keep the vents open.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Of those I'd say get the Core 2 conroe.
I'd suggest the turion X2 also depending on what config/video card you can get.
Unless your doing mobile only.
In which case definitely only the conroe or turion x2.
Know that lower clocked should last longer also.

I personally have a single core athlon 3800.
Runs all games(albeit not oblivion very well).(I blame video for this though)
But it also runs very hot.
Also my battery life is dismal.
My friend got similar with Turion(original not X2 and lowest clocked one). I out fps him(fairly large differance).
However he could watch movies straight over 6 hours.
He could game for over 5.
That was the old Turion though I don't know about the new one.

In bench the core 2 did still beat the X2 however the marks seemed a lot closer than in the desktops benchmarks.

On straight power/fps the athon 4800 would probably win bc it's more like a desktop processor. However like mine you might run into heat issues.
Although simple things like dissasembling your laptop and cleaning out HS and fan can me monumental.
I did first time after operating for over a year.
Had about a 1/4" of dust caked on the heatsinks.

So if you game a lot and it'll be your only computer I'd say the 4800. Or the conroe. Use the Turion X2 if you find a good configuration/deal with it.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Knowing your laptop is old. How many times have you taken a can of air and blown the dust out. Or even open the bottem of it and clean the dust out. That and changing the battery might give new life to your laptop. Another thing is downclock it that can also help.

When I run my centreno duo it running at 800mhz and I get around 4 Hours.

The laptop cooler might also help you.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I don't have overheating problems on my laptop.
Also once I cleaned it out as I said it was much better but still expect hot air.
I had completely opened it up.
Yeah you could UC it mebe oh wait not with HP BIOS.
Yes using a desk/cooler stand will help some.
Batery doesn't mean much.
2 hours max was when new.
It's the desktop 3800 processor.
It's not the mobile version really.

The bios on Laptops, not counting Falcon, Eurocom, Voodoo and other high end gaming desktop replacements are minimal to say the least. they don't even list the core temps, ram latency or CMOS changes. Just date and time.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hell no I don't believe he invented 4x4. No one person invents computer technology anymore. So on that count he's BSing
I don't think he's not trolling now so we can talk to him like normal computer enthusiasts. When he trolls expect me to be on his ass like flys to a cake. I'll cut his own testicles off and feed it to him. And I'll do it in a jiffy. You know Why? Cause I dont give a F :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Besides no one told me to buy the AMD version, no posts influence me either. I just like diversity in the computers that I use at home.
And it was cheap :D

I said I asked Rahul Sood on his blog to come up with it in a special system for devs. Also, as far as battery, I left my laptop suspended for more than 12 hours yesterday and used slightly more than 25% of a 6-cell battery. Again, why I bought the TL52.

As an aside, how many different makes of car do you or any of your friends own?

Why is it OK for a person to buy the same (Ford\Chevy\BMW) but not CPU?

Perhaps the fanaticism displayed here regularly. I never said I have 5 jobs it's just another lame attempt by the real trolls to discredit me to someone who wasn't around a few months ago.

I predicted Dell would go with AMD, that dual socket would come to the desktop, that Core 2 would be great and lots of other things. Upon saying the words "most analysts" I was taken as saying I was an analyst ( wait I am --- an Analyst Programmer).

But hey what can you expect from blind followers.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Come to think about it I don't even know why I went for the Turion. The C2D is obviously better but something told me to just get the Turion.
[Shrugs]
My next laptop though will be a C2D that I'll use for travel. Same specs same company, different processor. It'll just be better on the battery.

Well, depending on when you purchased you wouldn't have been able to get a Merom. I bought my X2 right before Core 2 mobile came out and couldn't be happier.

I know I should have waited and gone with Intel but youre not the boss of me. I am a loyal AMD customer with no shame or bias against Intel.

It's not their fault they have been convicted of being a predatory monopoly. I mean it wasn't even in America.

I'm looking for those posts on VooDooPC.blogspot.com. Again, I said I asked this CEO to do that early this year or late last. I just think that either means I'm ahead of the game or someone who got OEMs to think about it.

It will be bliss for devs.

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Also, as far as battery, I left my laptop suspended for more than 12 hours yesterday and used slightly more than 25% of a 6-cell battery. Again, why I bought the TL52.
LOL!! You bought the laptop so you could SUSPEND it?

Moron. If you had any shred of intelligence, you would HIBERNATE the laptop and not WASTE BATTERY LIFE...

EDIT: Oh, I'm sorry. I expected you to know how to hibernate your computer. You can find out here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/russel_02march25.mspx

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
TheKhalif said...
Now all you guys need to do is release an 8 DIMM slot/2 socket 6150 for us devs that don't need graphics power but need LOTS OF RAM. Do you know how hard it is to develop for a massive server using the average dev box?

Someone please.

Monday, March 13, 2006 12:51:15 PM

I finally found this post. There is another and it was around March, BEFORE CORE 2 and 4x4.

Link March 13,2006

I can't find the other one, yet.

TRENDING THREADS