Sound Card Solution for Vista

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Windows Vista
  • Creative
  • Components
Last response: in Components
September 14, 2006 2:12:20 AM

Can anyone suggest a decent relatively inexpensive sound card that works trouble free with Vista RC 1?

I have had it with Creative Labs

More about : sound card solution vista

September 14, 2006 9:38:33 AM

I have not heard of any sound card that everyone gets working well under Vista.

C'mon, as long as it is not release version you are bound to have problems with Vista, that's part of the deal.

I am sure there will be better drivers for your card as soon as Vista is finalized.

Btw, did you tick grant exclusive control to device under audio in ctrl panel? Vista handles multimedia differently, just an idea.

Good Luck!
September 14, 2006 10:02:58 AM

Most people have had good success installing their original creative drivers under XP compatability mode. Works for me...
Related resources
September 14, 2006 10:11:21 AM

I have Audigy 2 ZS. Creative provide a beta driver for Vista.

I installed RC1 and the driver. They works very well just like in XP. No problem at all.
September 14, 2006 10:17:53 AM

Quote:
I have Audigy 2 ZS. Creative provide a beta driver for Vista.

I installed RC1 and the driver. They works very well just like in XP. No problem at all.

Must be a new release? Or I'm blind...

Either way I'm quite happy with my original Audigy drivers.

There are many cats to skin and I only have one knife!
September 14, 2006 10:48:18 AM

Quote:
Must be a new release? Or I'm blind...

Nop, you just missed the sign where you have to turn... :D 

Quote:

That's too bad...get more hands.
September 14, 2006 11:43:44 AM

Quote:

That's too bad...get more hands.[/quote]

More hands doesn't solve the minor problem of lack of knives....

Thanks for the reminder to check Creative's site for new(ish) drivers... Work a tad bit better than the native drivers, plus didn't have to install in compatability mode!
September 14, 2006 12:22:29 PM

Quote:
More hands doesn't solve the minor problem of lack of knives....

If you do have more hands, you would think how you'll make those hands helpful to skin those cats right ?
September 14, 2006 1:24:47 PM

Google matches 1,010,000 documents for "cats skinning"!
Holy crap, this world won't last long if people go for cats...
September 14, 2006 2:20:43 PM

Oh, I don't know... We've been going after people long enough, and they're still around...

But this is a tech forum, not a philosopher's stone...
September 15, 2006 12:15:12 AM

Quote:

I am sure there will be better drivers for your card as soon as Vista is finalized.

Btw, did you tick grant exclusive control to device under audio in ctrl panel? Vista handles multimedia differently, just an idea.

Good Luck!

My Soundcard is Soundblaster Live 5.1, apparently Creative has no plans to produce a Vista drive for it
September 15, 2006 7:03:19 AM

So have you tried to install it in compatibility mode for your preferred OS? can't remember if that card was XP certified or not...
September 15, 2006 11:05:15 AM

Yes I have tried in compatibility mode, no go
September 15, 2006 2:09:06 PM

Quote:

My Soundcard is Soundblaster Live 5.1

Now, this is an old card. From 1997 or so I believe. I doubt you will find any as old sound card supported by Vista. Audigy and X-Fi are supported, I doubt Live is.

An option for you: considering Audigy and Live use the same chip and some people used Audigy driver with Live, perhaps this will work under Vista, too. Can't see why it shouldn't...

You could download Audigy vista beta driver, extract it with winrar into a folder and install it manually from device manager with F8 driver signature off (and fully cleaned registry beforehand ;) 

Good Luck!
September 15, 2006 5:22:30 PM

Well I was able to get sound, or something that passes for it after repeated attempts over 4 days I have rather rudimentary sound working in one speaker.

I did it by installing the driver for SB Live 24bit in safe mode. At least this will do till I can find a better soulution
September 15, 2006 11:31:08 PM

Quote:

My Soundcard is Soundblaster Live 5.1

with F8 driver signature off (and fully cleaned registry beforehand ;) 

Good Luck!

You had me right up till that point, honestly
September 16, 2006 12:26:52 AM

a person on another forum got the drivers from XP for that card, and did a manual driver update from control panel. Had to re-do the driver after a vista update replaced his microphone, but he's now happy with the results.
September 16, 2006 8:13:32 PM

Thanks to all I solved my problem by purchasing a new Soundblaster X-Fi card, the Beta drivers for that seem to work fine
September 22, 2006 1:19:14 AM

When I installed Vista on my PC (Audigy 1), I ended manually installing the drivers for Windows X64. That worked. I just checked on Creative's site, and they also have Live! drivers for X64

krfan1
August 21, 2007 5:41:32 AM

well I have audigy2z, and have all the updated drivers for it. how ever I have heard that all of the hard were camp are playing cathup with vista. oh my sound card work fine.
April 1, 2009 11:10:41 PM

I have a X-fi xtreme gamer by Creative, have tried a lot of different drivers, but I still can't get some extras to work or appear at the control panels at all. I am using Vista Ultimate 32-bit. But after everything I have tested I started thinking that Microsoft made the "VISTA" that way so all hardware manufacturers keep using their DirectX-related methods for sound output. Maybe I am wrong, but that's the way I see it. :??:  :pfff: 
!