Need help deciding what PSU to get

I don't know how many watts my PSU should be. This is what I'll have it powering:

ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
1 GB DDR400 RAM
1 120 GB hard drive
1 DVD-RAM drive

How much will I need?
8 answers Last reply
More about need deciding
  1. Quote:
    I don't know how many watts my PSU should be. This is what I'll have it powering:

    ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
    1 GB DDR400 RAM
    1 120 GB hard drive
    1 DVD-RAM drive

    How much will I need?


    I would go for a 500w PS. I would recommend Antec as a good brand with a big reputation. Specifically I would get the Antec Smarpower 2.0 500w PSU.
  2. I also need help for case and power supply.

    Core 2 Duo
    SLI Tech (2 PCIe cards)
    DDR2 RAM (GB)
    200 GB Hard Drive
    DVD Drive

    If I am not wrong inorder to use SLI Tech the power supply must have SLI ready?
  3. Quote:
    I also need help for case and power supply.

    Core 2 Duo
    SLI Tech (2 PCIe cards)
    DDR2 RAM (GB)
    200 GB Hard Drive
    DVD Drive

    If I am not wrong inorder to use SLI Tech the power supply must have SLI ready?


    You are right. The PSU needs to have two PCI-E connectors if you want to use SLI. Only SLI ready PSUs have two.
  4. Quote:
    I don't know how many watts my PSU should be. This is what I'll have it powering:

    ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
    1 GB DDR400 RAM
    1 120 GB hard drive
    1 DVD-RAM drive

    How much will I need?


    I would go for a 500w PS. I would recommend Antec as a good brand with a big reputation. Specifically I would get the Antec Smarpower 2.0 500w PSU.

    Forget Smartpower; you want either TruePower or NeoHE. This one's nice: Antec TruePower TPII-550 for $90. LOL; TP stands for toilet paper :lol: . I AM CORNHOLIO!
  5. Actually it is not as much as you would expect from one of the most demanding GPUs..

    eXtreme PSU calc"]System Type: Single Processor
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 2000 MHz AM2 Windsor
    CPU Utilization (TDP): 100% TDP

    RAM: 2 Sticks DDR2 SDRAM
    Video Card: ATI Radeon X1900 XTX
    Video Type: Single Card

    SATA HDD: 1 HDD

    DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive

    Sound Blaster - All Models: Yes

    Fans
    Regular: 1 Fan 80mm; 1 Fan 120mm;

    Motherboard, keyboard and mouse: Yes

    PSU Utilization: 100% (peak utilization)

    Total: 315 Watts

    © 2004 - 2006 OuterVision.com and it's licensors. All rights reserved.

    The GPU alone will eat up just over 10A on the +12 since it can draw just over 120w alone and the x2 4000 just over 7A (if we use the worst-case TDP rating of 89w) and maybe 4A of other components that's 22A at worst so you can even get away with my favorite cheapo (since it's good for around 29A) SPARKLE ATX-400PN-B204 ATX 12V 2.0 400W $42 shipped @ ewiz

    I do favor ducky's choice, the Antec TPII-550 is $86 shipped from chiefvalue (almost a $10 savings from newegg + shipping, WTF newegg?!?) this is one of my most recommended psu's - a excellent balance of cost, power and quality.
  6. I guess that you are all wanting your machines to die.

    PC Power and Cooling make some damn fine PSU's you can also check out Enermax they have a couple nice modular psu's. mind you these are in the 150 price range but they will last.
  7. The Aspire midrange models (chameleon or moon shadow or something) are very good PSUs at a great price.
  8. Quote:
    Forget Smartpower; you want either TruePower or NeoHE. This one's nice: Antec TruePower TPII-550 for $90. LOL; TP stands for toilet paper :lol: . I AM CORNHOLIO!


    Does Antec make a Cornholio Edition power supply?
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Radeon Components Product