Overclocking Excel Sheet... Need a FTP site to host it!

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
UPDATE: I ANNOUNCE THIS THREAD IS A WASTE OF TIME!!! THE TOPIC HAS BEEN RESOLVED, A FTP SITE HAS BEEN FOUND! A NEW THREAD THAT PROVIDES AN AREA FOR COMMENTS AND IMPROVEMENTS HAS BEEN STARTED...

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1255618#1255618

I appreciate those who are here and really want to help... For the others, I wish you the best in your attempts at what ever your triing to accomplish.

-------------------------
Original Message
--------------------------

I made a really cool excel sheet...

It contains 3 sheets...

First Sheet is A complete list of all the FSB, Multipliers, and clockspeeds
Range: Multiplier 15-5 and a huge selection of FSB's

Second Sheet is a "Target CPU Speed." All you do is enter the Target CPU speed, and it gives you all of the Memory Speeds for all the different Memory Multipliers and CPU Multipliers

The Third Sheet is the exact oposite. it is "Target Memory Speed" and all you do is enter the Speed you want your Memory to run at, and it will show you all of the CPU/FSB combinations for each of the memory multipliers.

This tool will be great for people who might find more fine tuned settings at different Multipliers... Please if you got a FTP site to host it, or if you can create an account somewhere and post it there, I would be so HAPPY...

Until then please email me, and Ill email you the Sheet...

BTW; I am missing one Memory multiplier... I think its 889/1066... its the one between 800 and 1066... any help?

---------------------------------------
UPDATE SEPT 17, 2006:
Made Changes to original email, so that It will better serve the community.

I have had a VERY positive response to this tool... Please send me email at big_green_jelly_bean<=-=-at-=-=>yahoo.com to request a copy! Just remove the "<=-=-at-=-=>" and put a "@". This will help me from getting spam... I will do my best at giving it away, but if I get slammed I will stop sending it out... PLEASE will someone find/create a place and upload it... This will help me, and will allow others to upload it quickly. Read the responses for details as to why I am unable to do this myself.
----------------------------------------

Thanks
Mike

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

Why are you overclocking Excel? Really large spreadsheets?

I was just gonna ask that. Here's a great topic on Cnet forums about overclocking a tv tuner. I guess the guy thought it gives you more channels or something like that :lol: . I don't know about you guys, but I once made a really cool benchmark where I timed how long it took my computer to paste a 5,000 page file into a word document from the clipboard.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

Why are you overclocking Excel? Really large spreadsheets?

I was just gonna ask that. Here's a great topic on Cnet forums about overclocking a tv tuner. I guess the guy thought it gives you more channels or something like that :lol: .

Check it out! Makes Nascar go even faster! That's not a bad idea if you could slightly fast forward some shows. Maybe more than slightly on some chick flicks.

I don't know about you guys, but I once made a really cool benchmark where I timed how long it took my computer to paste a 5,000 page file into a word document from the clipboard.

I've made up a few benchmarks, mostly when consulting with a client that does very specific apps and runs them all day long. So make up some macros and drag race them to convince the client to buy the stuff they need. I never tried to sell small hardware advantages because you could normally get better value by improving their work flow or write them some good productivity macros, etc.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I didnt say it was a benchmark, and if you read my letter you would understand that it was a simple tool to find different FSB, Multipliers, and CPU speeds.

A tool is simply an Application, Hardware, or other peace of equipment that provides the user with a benifit. In this case its knowledge. Benchmarks are also a tool, but without BASIC understanding of the methodology; you will be unable to use the tool. Whats also important is that without a strong knowledge of the Methodology, you wont be able to use the tool with efficiency. All computer professionals, system designers, IT professionals and MIS professionals should understand the term "Tool" and "Methodology".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methodology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool

Without this understanding of proper and popular communication usage people make ignorant statements and decisions. This costs people money, and in the computer world leads to inefficent poorly written applications. Without this methodology the application and/or system designer fails to create proper User Interfaces, OOP and proper understanding of the program language or applications. I hate when I see a programmer who has ten years of computer programming experiance, use globals. I hate it even more when they build any application that uses more then a thousand lines of code without a single object, or a significant lack of knowledge of programming methodology. What good is it to own a hammer if you cant hit a nail with it, or hold it correctly.

But this is a discussion is for another thread... I wanted to inform the ignorant of the definition and specific wording used in the body of my original post. Please do not high jack this thread in a continued discussion of my statements made above. If you would like to talk about this feel free to quote my statements and make another thread in a different section of the forum.

For thoose who want to bitch about my thread title; let me save you some time... it is limited to a certain number of characters... and didnt your mother teach you to never judge a book by the cover.

In addition, please DONT highjack my thread. Talk about other devices in their own thread, in the proper forum. My excel sheet only deals with the Core 2 Duo... By including information on other topics you distract the conversation, and you create a reference for others that becomes un-usable.

LASTLY you should know that you cant overclock a single application... Sorry, but its just not possible... Maybe you should read a bit more before responding to threads.

To use my tool:
You just change the number on the top of the sheet and it gives you all of the data you need. For a wide range of potential settings provided by most motherboards... Its really cool... If your looking for specific settings, then this tool is invaluable. But I warn people, without the proper Methodology it is unsafe to overclock any machine.

Thanks, but please dont bring this thread offtopic again.
Mike

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
LASTLY you should know that you cant overclock a single application... Sorry, but its just not possible...

Do you have a link to a proof of this statement?

I don't think he needs to "prove" that at all to someone who is supposedly smart.

Overclocking refers to increasing the speed of hardware. If you want to improve the performance of software, you need to write better code.

And the original poster, I believe, is simply talking about some Excel application that tells people (who may not know a lot about overclocking), what settings to use given a specific hardware configuration. At least that's what I got out of it.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I understand what the Excel sheet is going to help me with...

I don't understand where the "overclocking Excel" or "overclocking an application" thing came in? Am I missing a typo that warrants the making fun of the OP?

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I understand what the Excel sheet is going to help me with...

I don't understand where the "overclocking Excel" or "overclocking an application" thing came in? Am I missing a typo that warrants the making fun of the OP?

Guess they cant read past the title... and no; I am not posting references to why you cant overclock single applications. Try learning what Overclock is... Goto wikipedia and read what they say about overclocking.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
LASTLY you should know that you cant overclock a single application... Sorry, but its just not possible...

I don't think he needs to "prove" that at all to someone who is supposedly smart.

Overclocking refers to increasing the speed of hardware. If you want to improve the performance of software, you need to write better code.

Hook, line and sinker.

Oh, nobody said I was "supposed" to be smart. I just got lucky. Keep trying, don't give up hope, maybe they will invent a miracle drug for your problem. One more thing... If you OC the processor, software will run proportionally faster, therefore performing better. So there is more than one solution to the bottom line of improved performance. For decades, I've cheered those that improve software more than those that make faster chips. Ultimately, I think there's more to be gained by writing better code but that's a long hard road.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
You have to expect people to hi-jack the thread if you're not careful either where you locate your thread, or how you word it. =)

Do a google search for free web hosting...make sure safe search is ON. =)

However, you can probably host it through your school (if you're still young...), or through your ISP. Almost all ISP's allow for a small website. ISP's assume you're not going to use your web site space...which is usually the case...so it's a cheap way to advertise extra stuff, without having to support it much. I've put up a couple of excel html links myself... Outside of those two options, there are a ton of free hosting sites.

For instance: (my excel sheets)
http://home.comcast.net/~apesoccer/oc/Expert_Dec05bios.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~apesoccer/oc/Expert_3800X2.htm

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006

It contains 3 things...

First Sheet is A complete list of all the FSB, Multipliers, and clockspeeds
Range: Multiplier 15-5 and a huge selection of FSB's

Second Sheet is a "Target CPU Speed." All you do is enter the Target CPU speed, and it gives you all of the Memory Speeds for all the different Memory Multipliers and CPU Multipliers

The Third Sheet is the exact oposite. it is "Target Memory Speed" and all you do is enter the Speed you want your Memory to run at, and it will show you all of the CPU/FSB combinations for each of the memory multipliers.

This tool will be great for people with locked processors, who might find more fine tuned settings at a lower Multiplier... Im not going to be emailing it to everyone... but if you got a FTP site to host it... please PM me, and Ill email you the Sheet... Just make sure to post the FTP...

BTW; I am missing one Memory multiplier... I think its 889/1066... its the one between 800 and 1066... any help?

lol. That's like saying, "I created a really cool notepad file that shows blah blah blah!"

Make it a data-driven web page.

www.geocities.com
www.freeweb.com
www.crystaltech.com ( <- best )

www.webmonkey.com

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Hook, line and sinker.

Oh, nobody said I was "supposed" to be smart. I just got lucky. Keep trying, don't give up hope, maybe they will invent a miracle drug for your problem. One more thing... If you OC the processor, software will run proportionally faster, therefore performing better. So there is more than one solution to the bottom line of improved performance. For decades, I've cheered those that improve software more than those that make faster chips. Ultimately, I think there's more to be gained by writing better code but that's a long hard road.

You've missed the point entirely. Not surprising from someone who uses an obsolete Air Farts command patch.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
You've missed the point entirely.

You have no point. You are pointless. Your pointlessness is rising around you (rising around you). In baseball, you've been shut out. In tennis, you lost at love. But your major loss was your sense of humor. The OP got it but still you pose atop your soap box pounding out a drum solo that nobody hears. Maybe you need to turn down the multiplier on that high-hat.

I dub thee Captain Hijackoff, Protector of Sacred Threads!

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
lol. That's like saying, "I created a really cool notepad file that shows blah blah blah!"

www.geocities.com
www.freeweb.com

www.webmonkey.com

lets see... I really dont care if people get it or not... I figured someone from This site could put it up, or not... If someone wants to share it then thats cool... I made it for myself...

And ohh Im really going to spend the time programming it in ASP or PHP... Expect that when Im dead. My excel sheet does all that I need it too... It does the calculations based on input, I dont need anything else... nor do anyone else who needs it... The idea that I am going to program it is rediculous...

Ill do it if you PAY me... otherwords, it stays as a excel sheet. Why dont I send it to you, and you can see how it works... then you can program it for the web

Mike

PS Free ISP's are not reliable on serving out files... They want you to use their sites so they can send you advertisements. No adds come with downloads. I also dont have access to the applications that I would need to host this on my own ISP... Not until I move... (dont have a way to upload files because I dont have a FTP application) and this computer has a limited access.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006

www.geocities.com
www.freeweb.com

www.webmonkey.com

lets see... I really dont care if people get it or not... I figured someone from This site could put it up, or not... If someone wants to share it then thats cool... I made it for myself...

And ohh Im really going to spend the time programming it in ASP or PHP... Expect that when Im dead. My excel sheet does all that I need it too... It does the calculations based on input, I dont need anything else... nor do anyone else who needs it... The idea that I am going to program it is rediculous...

Ill do it if you PAY me... otherwords, it stays as a excel sheet. Why dont I send it to you, and you can see how it works... then you can program it for the web

Mike

PS Free ISP's are not reliable on serving out files... They want you to use their sites so they can send you advertisements. No adds come with downloads. I also dont have access to the applications that I would need to host this on my own ISP... Not until I move... (dont have a way to upload files because I dont have a FTP application) and this computer has a limited access.

lol. Take a deep breath and count to 10 buddy :)

Crystaltech is like $4 or $6/month, and they're an awesome host.

Very few people are going to download an excel sheet because (1) it could contain a virus and (2) because not everyone has excel. If you really want to share it, I'm just suggesting you do so using a medium that's both safe and portable. Otherwise you may as well just keep it to yourself.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
PS Free ISP's are not reliable on serving out files...

Doesn't matter...This isn't a file that keeps anyone alive or in a job. Not to mention that's an over-generalization. Especially since you're looking for free hosting anyway...

They want you to use their sites so they can send you advertisements. No adds come with downloads.

Yep...adds...that's how you pay for it. Right on there...nobody likes advertisements...

I also dont have access to the applications that I would need to host this on my own ISP... Not until I move... (dont have a way to upload files because I dont have a FTP application) and this computer has a limited access.

If you're incapable of using Google...or Download.com, to search and download a FREE ftp program, like i did, then you definately don't have the skills to have written a decent excel file...Which you probably did. Lazy bastard!

You know how long it took me to post mine? About 2min. That includes, downloading the ftp software, installing it, getting my user id and password, finding the address i need to ftp it up to, then uploading it. It takes me about 15 sec to update them now. And before you say you can't upload the file... I sincerely doubt the computer/ISP you're using is blocking ftp traffic. It could be...but it's not too likely. If you're on dial-up, it doesn't matter, because it would take the same amount of time to upload it to the ftp site, as to send it to us.

Edit: Oh one more thing...since i'm being a nit-picky bastard...If you're using any flavour of Linux, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or OS X...You have ftp already installed...It comes with the base install of all of the above. I don't like the ftp dos client that comes with 2000 or XP though...Which is why i downloaded a free one from download.com...

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I use openoffice, and it works great... also anyone can use a virus scanner... or not use it at all... or open it up in openoffice which isnt vulnerable to viruses.

Someone is looking into converting it to a web application... but I personally wont worry about it... I was going to share it cause I thought it would be a good gesture... but after receiving all this shit about it, I just dont give a flying F@#$!

I have access to a ISP, but like I said, I dont have access to any FTP applications... Nor do I have online access from any of my main machine... Its kinda like living in a box... I dont have internet access except from this lame computer that limits almost every activity known to man... Including, but not limited to, installing applications...

...It sucks for me... and now it sucks for you all...

Plus I dont need to do anything for anyone if I get shit from them

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
You've missed the point entirely.

You have no point. You are pointless. Your pointlessness is rising around you (rising around you). In baseball, you've been shut out. In tennis, you lost at love. But your major loss was your sense of humor. The OP got it but still you pose atop your soap box pounding out a drum solo that nobody hears. Maybe you need to turn down the multiplier on that high-hat.

I dub thee Captain Hijackoff, Protector of Sacred Threads!

The only point around here is the one up your 4th point of contact.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Once I overclocked notepad by 50%. I could get it up to 60%, but it wasn't stable. It ran soooo fast. I could type as fast as I wanted and it would always keep up!