will all sata motherboards onboard raid use sata1 (150)

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Simple question, i got a deal one some good drives new but there sata1, other then that there nice westerndigital 7200rpm barracudas, not sure which motherboard im gona be geting this fall, probably october but i was wondering if its safe to get these, i know hard drives really dont use the full bandwidth of sata2, so long as im not looking at any motherboard onboard raid conflicts not recognizing the drives or not being compatable i want to snatch these up?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Simple question, i got a deal one some good drives new but there sata1, other then that there nice westerndigital 7200rpm barracudas

It'll be a simple question if you can ask properly, please. At this moment, i don't really understand what are you trying to ask.
Since when Western Digital made Barracudas ? does Seagate made those Caviars ?

TBlaar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
silly question maybe, i have been thinking about this...

will a sata2 drive work on a board that only has sata 1?????

my mate's board only supports sata1, but he cannot buy a sata1 drive anymore. only sata2's available.....

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
>will a sata 2 drive work on a board that only has sata 1

Yes. Any SATA drive can be connected to any SATA connector - they will work at the speed of the slowest device in the chain.

TBlaar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
thank you... thank you very much...

tell me, the SATA -chain??? seeing that you plug one drive on one cable, does this mean all the ports together? i mean when not in RAID, and i use one sata 1 and one sata 2, will both only run at sata1 speed?
i have a Gigabyte 8I945p-g board with sata 1 drive, looking to add a sata2. will both run at sata1 speed then?

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
No, it's just the port on the controller and the drive - so if you have 2 SATA 3Gb/s drives and 2 SATA 1.5Gb/s drives connected to a SATA 3Gb/s controller, the SATA 3Gb/s drives will run at SATA 3Gb/s speed, and the SATA 1.5 Gb/s drives will run at SATA 1.5Gb/s speed.

TBlaar

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
thanks mkaibear. your 2 previous posts contradict themselves, but i believe the last one is correct. thanks dude.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Eh?

My previous post states that SATA drives will work at the speed of the slowest device in the chain.

My next post stated that SATA drives will work at the speed of the slowest device in the chain, by giving an example of how it worked!

Answering your *specific* question, your sata 1.5Gb/s drive will continue to run at that speed, but the new drive should run at sata 3Gb/s (I'm assuming your motherboard has a sata 3Gb/s controller, or your point is moot).

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Firstly, it doesnt matter.

SATA2 is completely pointless for the sort of applications you are talking about. There is no difference whatsoever in performance of a single drive on an SATA2 interface or a single drive on an SATA1 interface.

Even a 4 disk RAID 0 array will be exactly the same performance wether SATA1 or SATA2.

The only time there will be any difference is when using a device like this to connect more than 1 hdd to a port.

As there is no difference, who cares if a drive runs at SATA1 or SATA2 speeds? The fastest IDE drive is the Western Digital Raptor - an SATA1 drive

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
With the exception of features such as NCQ, you're right.

The question that was being asked was whether or not they would work, though, not how fast would they work.

(oh, and whilst the Raptor 150gb drive is a SATA 1.5Gb/s drive, it has a large number of features from the SATA 3Gb/s implementation, such as the aforementioned NCQ).