Intel's Core 2 Quadro question

jrh823

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
I am considering the purchase of an ASUS P5W DH motherboard and a Intel Core2 Conroe 6700 (which I could afford now) or waiting until November and purchasing the Core2 Conroe 6800 (gotta save a few bucks to purchase this one).

I just read TG article on the new Intel's Core 2 Quadro. I can live with my system now, it serves its purpose well, but if the Quadro is only going to be in the 1k range, should I wait and get twice the power for just a few bucks more than the 6800? If it is only going to be slighty higher in price than the 6800 it makes sense to wait and save a few more bucks.

Did I read correctly that the new Core2 Quadro will not fit in a 775 board?
If that is the case that eliminates my Asus P5W DH and I really like the features of this MOB

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Unless you are using your computer for CAD, 3D rendering, database work, or video editing you really don't need a quad-core and in fact a 6600 is probably the best price\performance. But if you want more power than you need...still only get dual-core for now, quad won't be useful outside of the previously mentioned applications for a year or two.

jrh823

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
I am planning on starting my own Web Page for a newly started real estate business and would like to provide detailed photos and video of most of my listing. So I do plan on doing a lot of video editing.

Thanks, everyone seems to be harping on my choice of GFX cards but it only just a tide over.
BTW if you have the money join the club. Get a X6800. It'll feel really good... I promise... 8)

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Did I read correctly that the new Core2 Quadro will not fit in a 775 board?
If that is the case that eliminates my Asus P5W DH and I really like the features of this MOB

1. The C2Q is a LGA775 part; it'll fit in any i965/i975X chipset motherboard.
What you've got to check is the VRM v11.0 compatibility and BIOS support (check with the board's manufacturer & Intel website support);

2. As already pointed out, unless you're an A/V, 3D CAD or DB pro, a C2Q will be overkill for your purposes;

3. The E6600 will suit you fine & you'll save a lot; later on (next year), you can always upgrade your rig with lower-priced C2Q or invest in a video card...

Cheers!

jrh823

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Thanks for your input, but it seems like several are suggesting that I choose the 6600 even over the 6700. Any ideas why?

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Thanks for your input, but it seems like several are suggesting that I choose the 6600 even over the 6700. Any ideas why?

It'll be faster than everything out right now excet the 6700 and 6800 and will be noticably cheaper.

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005

Aside from what fredgiblet already said, it's also the first 4MB L2 shared cache part of the E6xxx series & you can overclock it beyond the stock X6800; that is, if you're going to save some cash, do it seriously & wisely, i.e., opt for the cheaper part of the best; below the E6600, there are only 2MB L2 cache parts; above the E6600, you'll be loosing money (they're all 4MB parts with higher speeds you can compensate through OC) :wink:
And, if you want a hedonistic approach, you'll feel a bigger difference (read more pleasure), when upgrading to C2Q, in a few months... :D

Cheers!

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
I have here an insider confirmation that all 965P and 975X based mobo made with VRM11.0 (100% of the Core2Duo supporting boards) will support Core2Quadro.
It is said that Intel made with VRM11.0 with Kentsfiled in mind, but didn't publicly announce for competition reasons.

It makes sense too as VRM11.0 also supports 130W TDP of XE955 and the TDP of highest clocked Kentsfield is just blow 95W.

Insider, huh?! Lucky you! :wink:
One thing puzzles me, though: There are some i945 chipset motherboards which support C2D; do you have any info on the VRM & C2Q support? (I'd assume the VRM would have to be v11.0 as well and some, even have 4 Phase Voltage Regulators); however, ASROCK ConRoeXfire, for instance, ís compatible with Intel 04B & 04A processors, only, while the i965/i975X are compatible with 05B/05A & 06...

Cheers!

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Um huh, it's called the 3rd level of info gathering. :D ( Msg.18 )
It's where the INQ gets all their info from except they make they can't intreprete those info for shit. They are what I call 3rd level wannabes, half-arsed ones who lurks.
Me and Crashman a crack at it just a few days ago and we concluded it was due to 800Mhz QDR vs. up to 1333Mhz QDR FSB official support.
Just a logical guess.
[EDITED]Remember there are E4xxx which are ready to pop uo during Xmas time. :)

Ah! OK, I got it. :D

By the way, I don't think both i965P/i975X have official 1333MHz FSB support, yet.

Thanks for the [insider] info! :wink:

Cheers!

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Just tossing my 2 cents in...

I believe the e6600 as other have stated is the price/performance sweet spot for people who "need" a bit of power. I think you'd be extremely happy with it compared to any CPU prior to C2D. Oh and all the mobos that support the high-end C2D CPUs are supposed to be compatible with the quadro. Time will tell how well that compatibility holds up across the different mobos currently out there.

Having said that I also noticed you mentioned that if the quadro wasn't much more $ than the x6800 CPU then you'd consider buying it. To this I say if you're serious about your website for business and will really update it very often with videos etc then the extra speed for those purposes provided by quadro might be worth it for the time you'd save. As I said this assumes you'd be editing video etc quite a lot for your business.

Since you are obviously willing to spend that amount of $ then its not a bad idea. Only you know how much you'll be using video etc. The time saved in the long run might be worth the extra cash to you in that specific case.

I personally do some video editing at least every couple days(several gigs per session). I plan on the e6600 for now but am patiently waiting on the c55 nvidia 590 boards to hit and weigh my mobo options before purchasing. If at that point in time the quadro is out I may very well jump on that instead because every week it could save me (possibly) an hour or more of editing time and my time with my kids/wife is precious enough to be worth the extra scratch assuming the timing is right for my purchase.

Sorry to get long-winded but just tossing in a "busy family man" who does quite a bit of video work perspective in there. For what thats worth lol. Either way I doubt you'll be disappointed. Weigh your own cost and priorities taking into account these other peoples fine advice as well. :) peace.

MarcusL

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
If you want to get the Quadro, then get a E6300 now and the highest quality mobo, ram, and psu. In a few months, you can get the Quadro, MS_Vista, and a dx10 gpu and sell the 6300. You'l have the shiznizzle computer without a lot of obsolete leftover parts.

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
(..) If at that point in time the quadro is out I may very well jump on that instead because every week it could save me (possibly) an hour or more of editing time and my time with my kids/wife is precious enough to be worth the extra scratch assuming the timing is right for my purchase.

Forget it! (Or, in other words, allow me to disagree):
This is a syndrome of our times: the fastest you can do it, the more you'll have/want to do; time won't suffer any changes at all. :wink:

Cheers!

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Um huh, it's called the 3rd level of info gathering. :D ( Msg.18 )
It's where the INQ gets all their info from except they make they can't intreprete those info for shit. They are what I call 3rd level wannabes, half-arsed ones who lurks.
Me and Crashman a crack at it just a few days ago and we concluded it was due to 800Mhz QDR vs. up to 1333Mhz QDR FSB official support.
Just a logical guess.
[EDITED]Remember there are E4xxx which are ready to pop uo during Xmas time. :)

Ah! OK, I got it. :D

By the way, I don't think both i965P/i975X have official 1333MHz FSB support, yet.

Thanks for the [insider] info! :wink:

Cheers!

hmm.... overclock a E6600 to 3.2GHz and over already gives you a FSB of 1400+

so why wouldn't it be able to handle the 1333 MHz?

also... let's see...
E6600 @ 2.4GHz = 266x9
266.5 * 4 = 1066 FSB
266.67 * 3 = 800 MHz DDR2

CPU Ration 3/4

(Taking a wild guess... this is my own thoughts )
if Kentsfield is quad pump or whatever they call it... then...
333.25 * 4 = 1333 FSB
333.25 * 9 = 2999.25 MHz (theoretical multiplier in comparison to the E6600)
333.25 * 3 = 999.75MHz DDR2 (already in production)

I see no reason why (speaking for the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe mobo) current 965 and 975X chipsets could not support kentsfield without a simple BIOS update

once again, these are my thoughts! not facts!

I already got 8itched at for stating incorrect info by anonymous ( go look at the AMD or Intel thread )

there's my 2 kents :p

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005

[hmm.... overclock a E6600 to 3.2GHz and over already gives you a FSB of 1400+

so why wouldn't it be able to handle the 1333 MHz?also... let's see...

(...)

I see no reason why (speaking for the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe mobo) current 965 and 975X chipsets could not support kentsfield without a simple BIOS update.

You can either raise the FSB, the CPU core voltage or both, in order to overclock.
You can check motherboards's websites (and Intel's), regarding the i965/i975X chipsets. :wink:

Cheers!

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
If you want to get the Quadro, then get a E6300 now and the highest quality mobo, ram, and psu. In a few months, you can get the Quadro, MS_Vista, and a dx10 gpu and sell the 6300. You'l have the shiznizzle computer without a lot of obsolete leftover parts.

No, no, no! If you are definitely getting a Quadro then don't waste money on a 6300, get a cheap P4 that works with a Quadro compatible mobo.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006

No, no, no! If you are definitely getting a Quadro then don't waste money on a 6300, get a cheap P4 that works with a Quadro compatible mobo.

No way - get a 6300. At least you'll be able to re-sell that - you won't have a chance with a crappy cheap P4

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
I am planning on starting my own Web Page for a newly started real estate business and would like to provide detailed photos and video of most of my listing. So I do plan on doing a lot of video editing.

Primary use = video editing.
Answer = more cores the better.

Sounds like santa should bring you a C2Q with as much ram as he can afford.

itneal2277

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2006
The Quadro would be your best choice since you plan to be dealing with lots of video. The Quadro has huge gains in this area compared to the Core 2 Duo. You will definitely appreciate the time saved when you start dealing with HD video.