TDK Print On DVD+R media

I saw at COSTCO a 100 pack of TDK "Print On" DVD+Rs.

What's the deal on these? How does one print onto the DVD disc itself
?
3 answers Last reply
More about print media

    Vince wrote:
    > I saw at COSTCO a 100 pack of TDK "Print On" DVD+Rs.
    >
    > What's the deal on these? How does one print onto the DVD disc itself
    > ?

    Yeah, I saw them too.

    With a printer that can feed and print on these specially made blank
    CDs. I assume you're in North America. The only printers that can do
    this in the US/CANADA are sold by Epson (I don't know if it's all
    Epsons or certain models). Elsewhere in the world Canons can do it as
    well. I believe it's something to do with licensing that the feature
    isn't put in on North American Canons. I have a Canon iP5000 and I
    can see where it would have been. There's a kind of useless door in the
    front that doesn't do anything. I'm guessing. . .

    -Taliesyn

    > What's the deal on these? How does one print onto the DVD disc itself

    There are presently three forms of consumer disc printing i'm aware of

    1. Inkjet
    Basicly offering a stright path and a disc tray the printer prints
    directly to a disc. This is an option with Epson printers, the r200,
    r300, and r800. Canon printers in the US don't officaly support this
    feature, but most of the market outside north america does. This
    feature can be enabled in Canon printers if you so desire, a tray can
    be made from cardboard, or an epson tray, or you can order one. The
    ip3000/4000/5000/6000/8500 and mp750/760/780 support this feature and
    can be enabled in the US. The newer printers like the ip4200/5200/6600
    and mp800 look like they do as well but no one I know of has tested it.
    Ebay is presently the only known resource for canon trays, expect to
    spend $30ish on one.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6798413319&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&rd=1
    Partsnow did carry the tray for $15ish shipped, but no longer have the
    part in stock.

    2. Thermal ribbon
    Casio and Primera offer dedicated cd printers that employ the use of a
    thermal ribbon. Such printers are usually limited to one color at a
    given time, and the ribbons tend to cost more than inkjet ink. But
    unlike inkjet they are waterproof and don't nessicarly require special
    discs to print on.

    3. Lightscribe
    These are discs that on the label side have light senative media that
    permits a properly equiped dvd drive to etch a monochrome image. This
    process is slow, the discs are more spendy, but totally water and rub
    proof.

    What you are looking at at costco are inkjet printable. These TDKs are
    costco are not hub printable, as in you can't print to the center hole.
    The DVD-R, the ones marked made in Taiwan/Japan are reported as being
    good. The printable part of the disc is excelent.

    Vince wrote:
    > I saw at COSTCO a 100 pack of TDK "Print On" DVD+Rs.
    >
    > What's the deal on these? How does one print onto the DVD disc itself
    > ?

    They are inkjet printable discs, as someone has mentioned. Also, Cannon
    is not the only printer avaialable to print directly on discs. My
    company manufactures as well as distributes other major brands of CD
    and DVD duplicators, printers, and recorders.

    We make the Print Factory series of printers only as well as the DX
    series disc publishers (which burns content and prints directly to the
    disc) and we distribute for Rimage who has three types of disc
    printers, thermal, inkjet and Everest.

    If you'd like more info I'm happy to help. Have a great Thursday!!

    Andie

    Microboards Technology
    www.microboards.com

Printers TDK DVD Peripherals