Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is it possible to print from ABIO ( DOS program) to a copi..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
September 1, 2005 4:39:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Hi

A friend of mine, accountant, bought a copier-printer and she wants to print
her documents from a DOS program, called ABIO. This program uses generic
drives and the driver for the copier-printer is not included. She installed
the copier-printer driver on her laptop, set the driver as a default
printer, and she could print to the copier-printer using a parallel cable.
So far so good.

As my friend is not the only one in her office using the copier-printer, she
wanted to activate the access code for the copier-printer. However, after
activating the access code on the copier-printer, and entering the same
access code in the driver settings, she cannot print anymore.

Is it because none of the generic drivers that comes with ABIO does not
support access codes? Can emulation help?

--

Thanks

Nick

The last loser is the first winner
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 4:39:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Nick" <psstcenter@shaw.ca> wrote in message
news:G4sRe.347070$s54.195650@pd7tw2no...

> A friend of mine, accountant, bought a copier-printer and she wants to
print
> her documents from a DOS program, called ABIO. This program uses generic
> drives and the driver for the copier-printer is not included. She
installed
> the copier-printer driver on her laptop, set the driver as a default
> printer, and she could print to the copier-printer using a parallel cable.
> So far so good.
>
> As my friend is not the only one in her office using the copier-printer,
she
> wanted to activate the access code for the copier-printer. However, after
> activating the access code on the copier-printer, and entering the same
> access code in the driver settings, she cannot print anymore.
>
> Is it because none of the generic drivers that comes with ABIO does not
> support access codes? Can emulation help?

1. If your friend herself bought this printer, why does she
connect to it via the network and let other people use it?

2. (Nearly) all DOS software prints via either a special
pre-printing formatter or a custom command set specific
to each type of printer. This software cannot make room
for printer access codes, so must be separated from them,
so far as her workstation is concerned, but associated with
them so far as a network printer is concerned. This problem
may be soluble, but not at an economic price: the cheapest
solution is a custom printer for a single workstation printing
from a DOS app.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
September 1, 2005 6:32:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
news:ubtRe.165$5I2.520@newscontent-01.sprint.ca...
> "Nick" <psstcenter@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:G4sRe.347070$s54.195650@pd7tw2no...
>
> > A friend of mine, accountant, bought a copier-printer and she wants to
> print
> > her documents from a DOS program, called ABIO. This program uses generic
> > drives and the driver for the copier-printer is not included. She
> installed
> > the copier-printer driver on her laptop, set the driver as a default
> > printer, and she could print to the copier-printer using a parallel
cable.
> > So far so good.
> >
> > As my friend is not the only one in her office using the copier-printer,
> she
> > wanted to activate the access code for the copier-printer. However,
after
> > activating the access code on the copier-printer, and entering the same
> > access code in the driver settings, she cannot print anymore.
> >
> > Is it because none of the generic drivers that comes with ABIO does not
> > support access codes? Can emulation help?
>
> 1. If your friend herself bought this printer, why does she
> connect to it via the network and let other people use it?

Everyone uses it via network as a printer and directly as a copier. The
access code is to keep track of each user.
To print from her DOS program, my friend needs to use LPT. Therefore, when
she wants to print, she brings her laptop close to the copier-printer,
disconects the network cable and uses the parallel cable.

>
> 2. (Nearly) all DOS software prints via either a special
> pre-printing formatter or a custom command set specific
> to each type of printer. This software cannot make room
> for printer access codes, so must be separated from them,
> so far as her workstation is concerned, but associated with
> them so far as a network printer is concerned. This problem
> may be soluble, but not at an economic price: the cheapest
> solution is a custom printer for a single workstation printing
> from a DOS app.

She has to print hundreds of pages ..... Thanks for the idea though.
!