Hmmm.. Off topic

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
It seems THGC does not consider Sound Cards to be hardware. I could not find the relevant forum. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Just in case someone might have an idea or two, here's the problem:

My friend's PC suddenly lost all sound. I checked everything (drivers, settings, Device Manager...) - everything checks out. To be sure, I uninstalled and reinstalled his sound device (it is an integrated sound board on a Gateway PC). No dice. There is still no sound though Windows reports that the device is working properly and there are no conflicts. Nothing is muted either. Checked the speakers in another machine - they are fine. Also ran winsound reg fix... Anything else I should try? Yeah, I realize that I should get him a stand alone sound board, disable the integrated one and install the new one. I would rather do this as last resort.

Any ideas?

Darkchyld

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Yeah, I realize that I should get him a stand alone sound board, disable the integrated one and install the new one. I would rather do this as last resort.

My next step would be install an inexpensive sound card, like a creative PCI just to see if it works. I've seen cases where the on-board fails. It maybe the only way to go. Good luck.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Well are all the jacks not functioning.. ie. line in, mic, headphones, etc? Check that an EMI clip isn't bent and shorting anything out.

When you play a sound file you don't get any error messages? Anything in event viewer? What recent changes have been made to the system.. new codecs, software, hardware (especially if he was inside it w/o proper grounding) etc? If he has system restore enabled, try it.

If all else fails, it's probably dead. Either call gateway or drop a small amount on a cheap 5.1 SB card.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
Thanks all. Just got an SB PCI. Will try that tonight. Just wanted a few thoughts cuz nothing seems wrong, there's just no sound.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=15&sid=f7358f136de13863736b453f11187094&fex=Sound-Cards

It's the third section under Hardware.

*rubs his eyes* Hmmm.. HOW could I have missed that? Weird...