Very slow broadband with P5W DH onboard.

Sedako

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I just finished setting up my new PC, and everything works fine but the internet. I'm using the onboard ethernet from my P5W DH Deluxe. Drivers are installed correctly, and I've tried power cycling the modem. I know it's not an issue with my connection because my previous PC runs just fine. Any ideas?

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
What's slow about it? Even if it's running at 10Mbps it'll still be quicker than your average download will be (except for a few sites of course..).

More likely it's a firewall/Antivirus/Anti-spam/Web content filter program scanning stuff that's slowing everything down.

Run some online speed tests and see what they tell you.

youdidwhat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
ya do a bandwidth test on like 2wire.com and post ur results. if its just opening up slow and ur using internet explorer make sure ur not using proxy settings or something. to check on this open internet explorer, click on tools up top and go into internet options. on the connections tab there is a LAN settings button. when you click that make sure nothing in that window is checked.

Sedako

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Bandwidth test shows my connection is running at 38.20 Kbps. By slow, I mean everything is running at less than dial-up speeds. This is a fresh install of windows and I have no software running in the background.

mkaibear

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Ouch, that's slow.

Try it with a separate NIC? a spare NIC is always a good thing to have lying around.

Make sure you've got the latest drivers, as well.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Control Panel > Network Connections > Right-click your LAN > Status
What is the connection speed?

Check the ethernet properties, verify duplex mode is set to auto.. not like half-duplex. Verify on your router it is set to the proper speed and duplex mode.

Verify you are not running through a proxy or software firewall (if so, they are probably the cause). You say your router firewall is setup correctly. Maybe you have something blocked/limited. Are your running apps that need port forwarding?

All else fails, call your ISP.

youdidwhat

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
ya u may wanna call your isp on this one and see if they can help troubleshoot it. if your getting a connection but its that slow id verify everything with them before you start trying to troubleshoot hardware on the computer itself.

mapex

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2005
just a thought but the p5w dh has dual ethernet ports, have you tried using the other port? I might also check the bios settings to make sure nothing's funny

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
While "Auto" is generally the best setting, it is very important to know what the other side is set to.

What are you connecting to?
A cable modem? DLS Router? Wired Internet Router?

How is the port on that device configured? That is critical.
Most new stuff works best with Auto, but you need to match the two sides.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I was just clarifying a bit.

I even knew Cisco CCNP's who did not know that you could not have 1 side set to "100-Full" and one side "Auto" and have things work correctly.

Many people assume "Auto" means "Auto-Detect" and it will detect the speed to use. It means "Auto-Negotiate" and if one side is not set to "Auto" it will not respond to negotiatins and the "Auto" side will not be sure what speed to use.

I am sure you know that and I picked up on your "check the router".
I was just clarifying because the duplex issue is just so common in my job and I get so frustrated that so few people who should know do know how this works.