Sign in with
Your question

Hard Drive Problems (DESPERATE)

Last response: in Storage
September 14, 2006 2:42:26 PM

I have a 300gb WD drive that i had in an external enclosure (icybox)

i have now built a new computer and put the drive inside.

in the bios it is registered as the master on a shared IDE cable with a DVD Writer (even though i dont think it has a jumper in) there is only 1 IDE channel.

every time i boot up the computer it tries to run a Chkdisk on the drive and fails.

i get into windows and try to run the disk chek there and it fails almost right away.

i can play my music off it, but my video files become blocky and the audio desyncs. also when i move a video file from the drive to my main drive to see if that works... it speeds up massively and then crashes the media player (tried with bot WMP and Media Player Classic)

what is wrong and how do i fix it?
any help appreciated

[EDIT]

PANIC: Some of my songs are corrupt aswell.

PLEASE HELP, ALL MY MEDIA IS ON THE DRIVE!
September 14, 2006 4:15:30 PM

have you tried to disconnect the DVD writer ?
September 14, 2006 4:32:52 PM

Quote:
have you tried to disconnect the DVD writer ?

no, but how would that stop it not finishing Chkdisk or uncorrupt my files?
Related resources
September 14, 2006 4:59:37 PM

Sounds to me like your drive is dying...and quickly. A bad sector can cause a lot of touble.

Do you have a different drive you could try copying data over to? I'd be treating that drive like it has hours to live. Stop using it and get that data off ASAP!

After first trying to get all your data off then get the program called "SpinRite". It is an EXCELLENT utility that runs from a floppy in DOS and will very often fix/recover on bad sectors. But be warned, it is extremely slow. It could take a week or longer to run on a 300GB drive. But like I said, it is GOOD. So, get your data off if you can. Then hopefuyl you have a spare computer you can set up to run SpinRite on the drive in question.

I'd want you to try backing up your data first though and use SpinRite afterwards.

Are you getting Cyclic errors when moving files around on the drive? You can also download the drive manufacturer drive check tool that each manufacturer has. But SpinRite is the best.
September 14, 2006 5:06:30 PM

Quote:
PANIC: Some of my songs are corrupt aswell.

PLEASE HELP, ALL MY MEDIA IS ON THE DRIVE!

Well, at least you'll have your backup to fall back on.

Have you tried to put it back in the external enclosure and trying to get your data off of it.
September 14, 2006 5:13:12 PM

unfortunately i dont have a week to let it run.

secondly its only media on there, but its an ASS because its 220 gigs of the stuff.

It was absolutely fine yesterday when it was in an external enclosure

it wont let me copy large chunks of data off at once, i.e my 40 gb music folder
but i can transfer some files of individually,

almost every folder has a couple of corrupt tracks in it.
is there anyway i can recover the music (i can let the video go) its the music i really caare about.

if it helps it fails in part 1 of the chkdisk.
September 14, 2006 5:29:31 PM

yea good point ill try that.
but why would it work back in an enclosure? (out of curiosity not because i wont try it. it took me weeks to get that music ripped onthere)
September 14, 2006 5:36:39 PM

Drives JUST fail sometimes. All drive recovery tools take a long time, especially on 300GB. It depends on the value of your data. Some people would be overjoyed at waiting 1 week to get their data back. Sometimes it's irreplacable.

When you took the drive out of the enclusure you could have knocked it or something causing a bad area on the drive. But hey, put the drive back in the enclosure and see what happens. Computers don't always perform as you'd expect.

Do you have the cables all attached correctly and on tight? Any bent or pushed in pins? Try a different cable. Stick the drive in another computer and see what happens. Try the simple things first of course!
September 14, 2006 5:47:27 PM

Well if i were u i would get a new hard drive !

Ur Hard disk doesn't sound very promising to get fixed!
gl
September 14, 2006 5:48:50 PM

>>yea good point ill try that.
but why would it work back in an enclosure? (out of curiosity not because i wont try it. it took me weeks to get that music ripped onthere)<<

It would be interesting to see if it still works in the enclosure. If it doesn't, I'd have to assume it was handled a little too roughly when you moved it to the computer.

You might wanna double-check the jumper settings on the two drives. Sorry, can't think of anything else. Good luck.
September 14, 2006 5:57:33 PM

it has no jumper in it but according to the bios its the master
September 14, 2006 6:14:17 PM

Quote:
>>yea good point ill try that.
but why would it work back in an enclosure? (out of curiosity not because i wont try it. it took me weeks to get that music ripped onthere)<<

It would be interesting to see if it still works in the enclosure. If it doesn't, I'd have to assume it was handled a little too roughly when you moved it to the computer.

You might wanna double-check the jumper settings on the two drives. Sorry, can't think of anything else. Good luck.

IT WORKS IN THE ENCLOSURE (i think ive just tested it a little and the video is fineetc)

Why the fk is it corrupting everything when i put it onboard? could it be the fact that i didnt put a jumper in?
September 14, 2006 6:29:18 PM

I've had issues with WD drives in the past - they do not like being on a chain with other manufacturer hdds... could be similar to your issue with the optical drive.

The WDs have a few different jumper settings: 1 for CS, 1 for master with no slave and 1 for master with slave.

If it is set to CS and your optical drive is set to Slave or Master and not CS, it could cause problems or vice versa - optical drive set to CS and hdd set to Master with or without Slave.

Check the optical drive's setting (likely slave) and them make sure you jumper the WD for the proper combination of Master with Slave and see if that helps.
September 14, 2006 6:33:16 PM

yea ok will try that, as i said there was no jumper so that could be a problem.

HOWEVER i have just tried to jun chkdisk with it in the enclosure and itdont work.

should i rma it?
September 14, 2006 6:50:32 PM

Check event viewer - system. Are there any errors related to your harddrive?

Also when you say chkdsk doesnt work, what do you mean? does it error out, hang?
September 14, 2006 6:50:56 PM

Quote:
yea good point ill try that.
but why would it work back in an enclosure? (out of curiosity not because i wont try it. it took me weeks to get that music ripped onthere)

Well, since you've just proven me right [like I ever doubted myself] :wink:

The first rule of troubleshooting is to remove all variables. The variable in this case is removing it from the case, so the first step would have been to put it back in the case. You should have done that immediately, else you risk corrupting the data more.

Now, take my sarcasm to heart, and get a fricken backup plan. The next time I will laugh right in your face instead of making off handed jokes. :p 
September 14, 2006 7:37:17 PM

Checkdisk just fails.. it doesnt hang it just errors and says it is unable to complete.

the drive is nearly 2 years old now i think but is in a 3 year warantee... should i just RMA It?
!