How do I update my BIOS without a diskette?

spanishfleee

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I havent used a disk before but i'm sure its the safest way, i tried updating the bios using some software but it caused my system to fail which was rather inconvenient. i would tell you the name of the software but my computer is broken so i'm on my laptop. hope that helps

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If you'r etotally sure your system is stable, you can try Asus update. Look for it on ASUS site, altough I'm not a 100% sure about the name. It'll give you the opportunity to update your BIOS from within Windows. Also, if you still have your ASUS disk that came with your board, it should be in the utility section.

First, make sure you have all applications close so you won't have one of them crashing while the update process is in the making. It should take 1-2 minutes if I remember correctly.

All in all it's safe enough as long as your system is stable.

Before I go, do it at your own risk. All I'm saying is that it's possible and that the risk are slim (very slim even) but there.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
The USB stick sounds like the best way to do it - less risk. The file I downloaded is a .ROM file? Is this the same as .iso? Should I put this file directly on the USB, or open it up first using Nero?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I remember checking the BIOS when I started the installation, and didnt see an option for Flash/USB. Must the stick be plugged in before it gives you that option?

Is it possible to run MemTest86 in the same way. ie. If I add the bootable files to the stick?

Thanks.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
My PC isnt stable enough to update the BIOS from Windows. I've been having some major memory crashes over the last few days. I was running my OCZ memory at CAS 5, 266 or something. Its DDR2 800 with CAS 4, so all I did was update my settings in the BIOS to move the RAM to stock, and now it keeps crashing. I think I have trearing in games too (flashes on my screen). FEAR is a heck of alot slower. I'm really disappointed. Not sure what I did. That's why I am on the whole BIOS issue as a next step to try and fix it. I have DDR2 800, at 4-4-4-15 or something. It should work no?

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Dont know if its important, but there is another field in CPUZ/Mem that says "bank run time" or something, that is below my 15 figure, that is in the 20s. No where for me to set that - not sure what it means. Thought I would mention.

Also, in the BIOS where I set the timings, below the 15 there was another figure which was set to 4 by default. I left it there. Dont know what that was. Im not at my PC and only have 1 or two hours in the evenings to tweak, so sorry for not having more accurate info. Maybe someone with a P5W DH can help.

Main objective now is to clarify the BIOS issue. Just thought I would mention.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Well at the time, it was cheaper than regular 667Mhz with a MIR (came to $164). Now that exact same RAM is around $220. Crazy! Only 3 weeks!

Maybe I should bring the FSB up a little to bring it closer the the RAM speed, or just bring down my RAM speed to 667 and keep the new timings. (they were originally set to CAS 5, with 5-5-5-XX.

BOTTOM LINE - Should I set the RAM to 667 and keep my same timings!

PS. You are a machine. What you said made total sense, and I am so glad someone could finanly help me out. I basically OC. The P5W DH is stocked at 667. I tried to OC. THANKS!

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Last topic worth mentioning. I cant just raise my FSB to 333 to make it meet DDR2 667 right? Will I need to raise the voltages to get 333??

If so, then I realy should focus on gettting 667 at 4-4-4-15 CAS 4 without crashes (maybe run memtest), before I play with the CPU voltage. Otherwise I wont know which one is crashing right?

THANKS again!

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Ok great. Thanks a lot. I think the multiplier may be fixed at 9 on this board, but I'm not sure. How that is not the case! The jumps would be pretty big then.

TRENDING THREADS