Micro-ATX Power Supllies...future?

Jie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Just curious, but does anyone have some decent knowledge with regard to Micro-ATX PSUs and how fast they evolve? I'm obviously aware that their wattage will always be lower than a normal ATX, but I'm curious if anyone has read any articles or knows if future micro-atx PSUs will evolve to accommodate high-end next generation components (i.e. DX10 VGA Cards). Do they evolve slowly? I'm very interested to know what PSU upgrade options are available for those with micro-atx desktops who like to run a single high-end video card.

Thanks!

Jie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
mpilchfamily,

Thanks for the speedy replies! I know going ATX form factor is the safe way to go. I think I'm reaching for the stars for wanting a console like PC sitting on my desk lol. I need to WIkipedia "Computer Power Supplies". Not sure I completly understand the guts of them and how it affects the size of a PSU.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
There are several mATX mini-tower and desktop cases that support conventional ATX PSUs. Because mATX motherboards consume less power, you can get away with lower wattage PSUs in the 300-450 watt range. Another option if you don't want a monstruous full or mid tower case is to get a mini-tower that accepts standard ATX motherboards and PSUs. If you want an HTPC type form factor you might have to sacrifice performance for size but I have seen some builds over at ExtremeTech that are quite flexible.