DQ6 with TWIN2X6400 - how to run at 1:1 @ 800MHz?? Help!

94Ranger

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Guys,

I am new to adjusting memory. I have an E6600 in a GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard. I am running Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 RAM. My machine works perfectly, but I am totally lost about running the memory and FSB at 1:1. It ran at 2;3 default, and it said it clocked in at 400Mhz. When I set the System memory multiplier to 2.0, it ran at 1:1, but only at 266Mhz. How do I get my RAM to run at the full 800MHz with it being at 1:1 with the FSB? The timings are 5-5-5-12.

If anyone can post screens or settings I would be greatly appreciated. I've posted my CPU-Z screens for you to look at. This is my first time to play with this! Thank you!!!!
Memory - http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2102&d=1158203880

SPD - http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2103&d=1158203886

Main - http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2086&d=1157946819[/img]

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Can someone help Ranger? What does it mean if you have an FSB at 267Mhz and your RAM is at 400Mhz. The ratio is 1.5. Is that bad? Would I get better performance if I took my FSB to 400Mhz to get the 1:1 ratio? What does a 0.5 ratio difference really mean?

I have a similar issue and am new to this whole thing. My OCZ DDR2 800Mhz was running at 267Mhz when I installed it, FSB was same and ratio was 1:1. At the time, the timings where 5-5-5-XX, at CAS 5. (cant remember exactly)

RAM stock settings are 4-4-4-15, with CAS 4. Guys here told me to set the timings manually in my BIOS, which I did (mem voltage = 2.1V), but now I have major stability issues and tearing/crashing in games. My games are also much slower, WTF?

Thanks. Help Ranger first. I will learn through him.

PS. I have an extra line in my CPUZ/mem area, in the "BANK CYCLE TIME" space. Somewhere in the 20s. Not sure what the heck that is? What should it be. Thaaaaanks!

windego

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Can someone help Ranger? What does it mean if you have an FSB at 267Mhz and your RAM is at 400Mhz. The ratio is 1.5. Is that bad? Would I get better performance if I took my FSB to 400Mhz to get the 1:1 ratio? What does a 0.5 ratio difference really mean?

I have a similar issue and am new to this whole thing. My OCZ DDR2 800Mhz was running at 267Mhz when I installed it, FSB was same and ratio was 1:1. At the time, the timings where 5-5-5-XX, at CAS 5. (cant remember exactly)

RAM stock settings are 4-4-4-15, with CAS 4. Guys here told me to set the timings manually in my BIOS, which I did (mem voltage = 2.1V), but now I have major stability issues and tearing/crashing in games. My games are also much slower, WTF?

Thanks. Help Ranger first. I will learn through him.

PS. I have an extra line in my CPUZ/mem area, in the "BANK CYCLE TIME" space. Somewhere in the 20s. Not sure what the heck that is? What should it be. Thaaaaanks!

I know there was/is a bug in the DS3, whereby if you set the memory latency to CAS4, it actually sets it to CAS3, atleast that's what corsair told me. I was getting BSOD etc when i set mine to 4-4-4-12. The DQ6 might have the same problem.

Check for bios updates and see if they help.

94Ranger

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
I don't know if this is an issue or not with the DQ6. Mine shipped with the F2 BIOS, then I flashed it to F3 before installing Windows.

I'm still quite lost on the 1:1 thing. What's the big advantage of 1:1 anyways? More important, how do you do it while getting the max speed out of everything? I'm not looking of OC the CPU - I just want my memory to run at it's fullest.

Thank you all!!!

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I tried to run my memory to the fullest, not OC'ing, and it made my PC unstable. I cant pretend to know WTF I'm talking about, but from what everyone told me, you need the 1:1 ratio to keep it optimal and stable.

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I think my solution would be to decrease my RAM speed to 667 MHz (unfortunately not getting the DDR2 800Mhz I paid for), and increasing the FSB to 333Mhz (currenlty it was the 266Mhz speed, and with my RAM at 400MHz, that gave me a 1.5 ratio with crashed everything). That would mean you are OC'ing the chip a little. Seems like getting the DDR2 800 is a waste of money because if you run it at stock, it should only be 533 Mhz. The extra 267 Mhz (800-533) is just headroom used for overclocking your CPU. I plan to overclock when I lose my tech virginity and figure out how. Thats why I got it. Maybe in a couple of months I will get to it.

My goal was to get my mem at stock so I get what I paid for, but I learned that it's actually just meant for OC'ing, and you have to use two thirds of its available perfomance to keep it stable.

Look into OC'ing you FSB, and bringing the RAM down to 667Mhz. Should improve performance quite a bit. As always, be aware you can fry your system. You need to mess around with the voltages. Could be tricky, but Wusy's guide is great. GOOD LUCK!

jaQa

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Hello,

I'm still quite lost on the 1:1 thing. What's the big advantage of 1:1 anyways?

At 1:1 the memory runs syncronous with the FSB, but this is not really an advantage, depending on the motherboard chipset a FSB of 266 in sync with DDR2 533 can be marginally faster than running DDR2 667 asyncronously. DDR2 800 asyncronous to the FSB is always faster than DDR2 533.

More important, how do you do it while getting the max speed out of everything?I'm not looking of OC the CPU - I just want my memory to run at it's fullest.

You can only adjust FSB and memory multiplier, so to run DDR2 800 at it's full speed at stock FSB of 266 you have to set a memory multiplier of 3 (in reality the multiplier will be 1.5 because DDR2 800 operates @ 400Mhz, but the folks at Gigabyte decided to program the memory options in the bios so they match the marketing numbers of DDR2 533, 667, 800 etc ..).

e.g
266 FSB x 2 memory multiplier = DDR2 533 (real 266Mhz)
266 FSB x 2.5 memory multiplier = DDR2 667 (real 333Mhz)
266 FSB x 3 memory multiplier = DDR2 800 (real 400Mhz)

You can also set a memory multiplier of 2 (1:1 real) and set the FSB to 400, but this will overclock your CPU, you can counteract this by setting a smaller CPU multiplier though.

Christian

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Do you know if the Asus boards have a memory multiplier? Could this be the reason mine didnt work (ie. the multiplier was wrong), or would it have not even posted if this was the case? Thanks.

jaQa

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Hi,

Do you know if the Asus boards have a memory multiplier?

The Asus board has a memory multiplier, it's called "DRAM frequency" which you just set to the desired DDR2 speed (DDR2 800 in your case).
You have to set the "AI overclocking" option to "Manual" to access the "DRAM frequency" option.

If you have a look in the manual of your board you'll find that DDR2 800 speed under the DRAM frequency topic is marked with a *, because the 975 chipset this board uses does not support DDR2 800 officially, but as long as I know there are no problems running DDR2 800 on a 975 chipset board.

Could this be the reason mine didnt work (ie. the multiplier was wrong), or would it have not even posted if this was the case?

I don't know, if this was the cause of your instabilities. There are many causes:
-wrong multiplier (resulting into overclocked memory)
-too tight latencies (CAS, RAS etc.)
-faulty RAM (you can test by downloading "memtest 86+" - google for it)
-others ..

Christian

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
CPU clock X2 = DDR at 1:1 (because DDR uses both leading and trailing edge of the clock)
CPU clock X 4 = FSB
CPU clock X CPU multiplier = CPU speed (clock cycles)

Thus my own system, which is a Core2Duo 6400 (2.14) but overclocked to 2.80. (on Asus P5W-DH Deluxe) --

CPU clock = 350Mhz
Memory set to 700, which is 1:1
FSB = 1400Mhz
CPU = 8X Clock therefore 2.8 Ghz.
Everything is stock voltage except the memory which is at its rated 2.1 V (after being increased in Bios.)
The memory is OCZ Platinum DDR2-800. Since it is underclocked I have reduced the latency to 4,4,4,9,5 instead of set speed of 5,4,4,15,5.
Slower ram would require setting at 533, which is NOT 1:1 so there would be less bandwidth, though with the Conroe that's not a huge issue.
The system is as stable as a rock and wipes the floor with everything in synthetic benchmarks, and matches a slightly overclocked E6800 in Mpeg rendering because of the high FSB. :roll:

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hey BustedSony,

Looks like we have the exact same rig! Awesome. Actually, I ran memtest last night for about and hour, NO CRASHES. My settings were 4-4-4-15, CAS4 at 400Mhz (ie. DDR 800Mhz). I dont know what the heck was happening. I still dont have the 1:1 ratio, but it appears stable now! I am really happy about it.

What I'd like to do now is bring my CPU clock up to 400 Mhz, effectively 3.6GHz CPU speed. Do you think I could get there on stock cooling? Is it too dangerous. Do you think I should go with a scythe?

Also, you mentioned the FSB at 1400MHz. How does this work and what does it mean? Is it important in the whole equation? What do I need to set that too?

THANKS MAN! :lol:

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Another thing - I see you are using a 8X multiplier. I think mine is set to 9 by default. Can you change this at will? What does this really mean? If I understand it right, a smaller multiple is better because it allows you to OC in small increments, checking if the system is stable along the way.

In fact, I could increase my CPU clock to 400MHz, and decrease my multiplier to 6X, making my CPU run at stock at 2.4GHz, and keeping the RAM at 1:1 (CPU clock = 400Mhz, DDR2 800Mhz).

I GUESS I NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS! There must be a catch. Someone would have mentioned it to me earlier. Please advise. THANKS!

PS. What do you get in 3DMark06?

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Another thing - I see you are using a 8X multiplier. I think mine is set to 9 by default. Can you change this at will? What does this really mean? If I understand it right, a smaller multiple is better because it allows you to OC in small increments, checking if the system is stable along the way.

In fact, I could increase my CPU clock to 400MHz, and decrease my multiplier to 6X, making my CPU run at stock at 2.4GHz, and keeping the RAM at 1:1 (CPU clock = 400Mhz, DDR2 800Mhz).

I GUESS I NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS! There must be a catch. Someone would have mentioned it to me earlier. Please advise. THANKS!

PS. What do you get in 3DMark06?

I haven't run 3Dmark or done forensic testing yet, simply because for at least a few days more the system is busy catching up on some overdue video work, and boy is it catching up! :lol:

You have an E6600, I have a 6400, because at the time I was putting the system together obtaining a 6600 in Canada was like building a system from Hen's teeth and fairy dust. I got lucky because the first motherboard was RMA'd, an obvious power supply problem, and the replacement was built August 15th, a week before I received it - the latest. Anyway I'll get a Kentsfield at the end of the year, drop that in, and use the E6400 with a budget board to replace my aging but classic P3-1000 video editor.

The Asus P5B-DH allows setting the CPU clock downwards in some cases, with the latest Bios, the P5W doesn't yet support that. The E6400 uses X8 as its fixed multiplier, thus the nice round numbers..