Help, Help, Where's the help?

I can't read any help files. Any file with the extension .chm returns an
error of "can not read file mk:@MSITStore:<path and filename>" if I get
anything at all. Microsoft article 312456 says I need an updated Hcctrl.exe
file but I can't find one for XP. They say to go to Windows Update but that
dosen't find anything that I need. Any of you ghrus have any input on this?

Also................

Since recieving SP-2 downloads are messed up. Most times I try to download
anything I have to start ther DL a couple of times before it will actually
download. Frustrating.
Thanks for any input,
Dusty
9 answers Last reply
More about help help where help

    Hi

    Please see if the following link to Kelly's web site helps:

    "Why doesn't Help and Support work?"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Dusty" <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I can't read any help files. Any file with the extension .chm returns an
    >error of "can not read file mk:@MSITStore:<path and filename>" if I get
    >anything at all. Microsoft article 312456 says I need an updated Hcctrl.exe
    >file but I can't find one for XP. They say to go to Windows Update but that
    >dosen't find anything that I need. Any of you ghrus have any input on this?
    >
    > Also................
    >
    > Since recieving SP-2 downloads are messed up. Most times I try to download
    > anything I have to start ther DL a couple of times before it will actually
    > download. Frustrating.
    > Thanks for any input,
    > Dusty

    "Dusty" <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I can't read any help files. Any file with the extension .chm returns
    > an error of "can not read file mk:@MSITStore:<path and filename>" if
    > I get anything at all. Microsoft article 312456 says I need an
    > updated Hcctrl.exe file but I can't find one for XP. They say to go
    > to Windows Update but that dosen't find anything that I need. Any of
    > you ghrus have any input on this?
    > Also................
    >
    > Since recieving SP-2 downloads are messed up. Most times I try to
    > download anything I have to start ther DL a couple of times before it
    > will actually download. Frustrating.
    > Thanks for any input,
    > Dusty

    MSITStore: "Cannot Open the File: Mk:@MSITStore:C:\Windows\Help\Windows.chm"
    Error Message Appears When Opening Help
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=312456 and
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WUCritical/q811630/default.asp

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Of all the "fixes" I've found (and tried) this was the simplest and the only
    one that solved the problem. Thanks Frank!

    -----------Snip----------

    > Of all the "fixes" I've found (and tried) this was the simplest and
    > the only one that solved the problem. Thanks Frank!

    Thanks for the feedback.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    I think I met with the same question as yours. I am using Windows XP
    home edition, the chm file can't open after I updated the SP2. Every
    time I try to open the chm file, it popup a message: "can't open the
    file md:@MSITSTORE..."

    I checked with the two links that Frank gave. The first one is for 98
    platform. And I tried the second link, downloaded the htmlhelp.exe and
    run the windows update. But it seems nothing changed.

    Could you please write down what exactly you did fixing the problem?

    "Dusty" <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<4r-dnahCFumU8w_cRVn-2w@giganews.com>...
    > Of all the "fixes" I've found (and tried) this was the simplest and the only
    > one that solved the problem. Thanks Frank!
    >

    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > "Dusty" <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> I can't read any help files. Any file with the extension .chm returns
    > -----------Snip----------

    Did you reboot after the update?

    Bobby

    "bloodemon" <bloodemon@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I think I met with the same question as yours. I am using Windows XP
    > home edition, the chm file can't open after I updated the SP2. Every
    > time I try to open the chm file, it popup a message: "can't open the
    > file md:@MSITSTORE..."
    >
    > I checked with the two links that Frank gave. The first one is for 98
    > platform. And I tried the second link, downloaded the htmlhelp.exe and
    > run the windows update. But it seems nothing changed.
    >
    > Could you please write down what exactly you did fixing the problem?
    >

    > "Dusty" <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Of all the "fixes" I've found (and tried) this was the simplest and the
    >> only
    >> one that solved the problem. Thanks Frank!
    >>

    >> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> > "Dusty" <dusty_717(NoSpam)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> -----------Snip----------

    I've got the reason. My problem is a little bit different with theirs.
    The chm file that I tried to open contains some Chinese characters and
    the
    region I selected is US, the new hh.exe use WideCharToMultiByte to
    convert the file name into Unicode but doesn't recognize that in US
    people also use files in other language. So the file name that
    WideCharToMultiByte got is wrong and can't open the file.

    I changed the reginal setting to China and everything works fine.
    Another solution is keep the reginal setting and change the file name
    into English, it also works.

    bloodemon@gmail.com (bloodemon) wrote:

    > I am using Windows XP home edition, the chm file can't open after
    > I updated the SP2. Every time I try to open the chm file, it popup a
    > message: "can't open the file md:@MSITSTORE..."
    >
    > I checked with the two links that Frank gave. The first one is for 98
    > platform. And I tried the second link, downloaded the htmlhelp.exe and
    > run the windows update. But it seems nothing changed.

    Here are a few things to try:

    1) Use MJ's Help Diagnostics to check that all the help viewer
    components are properly installed and registered. You can download
    this utility from here:

    http://helpware.net/downloads/index.htm#MJs

    (The only section of the MJ's Help Report that is relevant to your
    problem is the one headed "HTML Help Run-time Components".)

    2) Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
    hidden subdirectory:

    \Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\HTML
    Help

    The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
    files on your system (favourite topics, search history, etc.), and can
    cause the files to misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows
    will create a new version of hh.dat when you next open a help file.

    3) Empty your Temporary Internet Files directory (in Internet
    Explorer, Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Delete Files). A
    full TIF directory can cause the help files to misbehave.

    4) See the following page for further guidance on how to resolve
    XP-specific help problems:

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm

    Applying Critical Update 811630 won't help in your case because, with
    XP SP2 installed, you already have more recent versions of the HTML
    Help viewer components than those supplied in the update.

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

    Quit all programs. Click Start and then click Run, type regsvr32
    c:\windows\system32\hhctrl.ocx

    If that doesn't work I cannot help.

    Good luck, Ray www.rossetticare.co.uk

    "Pete Lees" wrote:

    > bloodemon@gmail.com (bloodemon) wrote:
    >
    > > I am using Windows XP home edition, the chm file can't open after
    > > I updated the SP2. Every time I try to open the chm file, it popup a
    > > message: "can't open the file md:@MSITSTORE..."
    > >
    > > I checked with the two links that Frank gave. The first one is for 98
    > > platform. And I tried the second link, downloaded the htmlhelp.exe and
    > > run the windows update. But it seems nothing changed.
    >
    > Here are a few things to try:
    >
    > 1) Use MJ's Help Diagnostics to check that all the help viewer
    > components are properly installed and registered. You can download
    > this utility from here:
    >
    > http://helpware.net/downloads/index.htm#MJs
    >
    > (The only section of the MJ's Help Report that is relevant to your
    > problem is the one headed "HTML Help Run-time Components".)
    >
    > 2) Delete or rename the file hh.dat, which you should find in this
    > hidden subdirectory:
    >
    > \Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\HTML
    > Help
    >
    > The hh.dat file stores user-specific information on all the HTML Help
    > files on your system (favourite topics, search history, etc.), and can
    > cause the files to misbehave if it has somehow been corrupted. Windows
    > will create a new version of hh.dat when you next open a help file.
    >
    > 3) Empty your Temporary Internet Files directory (in Internet
    > Explorer, Tools > Internet Options > General tab > Delete Files). A
    > full TIF directory can cause the help files to misbehave.
    >
    > 4) See the following page for further guidance on how to resolve
    > XP-specific help problems:
    >
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_h.htm
    >
    > Applying Critical Update 811630 won't help in your case because, with
    > XP SP2 installed, you already have more recent versions of the HTML
    > Help viewer components than those supplied in the update.
    >
    > --
    > Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

Microsoft Windows XP