Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to get mountain lion on my build?

Last response: in Mac Os X
December 10, 2012 1:30:04 AM

Hey there
I'm building my first hackintosh, and after carefully choosing my hardware, I want the newest version of mountain lion to be my OS.

The problem is, there is no disk for mountain lion, and it has to be bought from the app store. So what should I do?

I was thinking of getting an OEM disk from my relative, then upgrading to lion off of that disk?

What should I do?

OH here are the specs just in case you wanna know :D 

mobo-ga-z77-d3h
cpu-intel i5 3450 3.1ghz
ram-dual viper 1600 8gb dual
hdd-wd caviar black 640gb
psu-corsair cmpsu-600cxv2 600w
cooler-coolermaster vortex plus
case-antec 302

Thanks!

More about : mountain lion build

Best solution

December 10, 2012 5:40:59 AM

You need an existing OS X installation so that you can purchase ML and put the install files on a USB stick. Does your relative have a Mac; if so he could buy it for you.
December 14, 2012 3:31:15 AM

I do have a relative that can do that for me.

Btw, how do my specs look? Everything seem compatible?
Related resources
December 14, 2012 3:48:59 AM

It was my understanding that even asking about Hackintosh or building one was really a grey area on this board. Technically speaking, it's illegal to run Mac OS X on any machine other than a legitimate Apple Macintosh. I would ask over at TonyMac86.
December 14, 2012 5:10:45 AM

You should have no problems with that. You have chosen the best m/b you can for a Hackintosh and, if you haven't already done so, can easily find step-by-step instructions online.
December 14, 2012 2:39:29 PM

Best answer selected by coolblue8.
December 14, 2012 2:40:23 PM

Sweet! And I'm not too worried about legitimacy seeing as I won't be selling it, and that I will be purchasing ML from the appstore, right?

Thanks! :D 
December 14, 2012 3:51:24 PM

nosupport4u said:
Technically speaking, it's illegal to run Mac OS X on any machine other than a legitimate Apple Macintosh.

Illegal is a pretty strong word there.
December 15, 2012 8:18:43 PM

nosupport4u said:
It was my understanding that even asking about Hackintosh or building one was really a grey area on this board. Technically speaking, it's illegal to run Mac OS X on any machine other than a legitimate Apple Macintosh. I would ask over at TonyMac86.

You are incorrect, read the stickies...
December 15, 2012 8:46:57 PM

nosupport4u said:

if the OS is bought legally there is nothing wrong.
!