Asus P1801 Tablet Outed, Could Run Windows 8 and Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
As long as they can keep it reasonably lightweight I can see this as an awesome device to use as a coffee table tablet. Assuming the screen is 1080p and not the odd 1920x1032 it will look great at 18" and could function as both a big portable living room tablet and a nice little All-in-One. The dock seems to have a DVD drive and some USB ports in the photo and I'd love to see it add some cool functionality (additional graphics horsepower, 3.5" drive for mass networked storage, HDMI in to be used as a small monitor). There's a ton of possibilities for a device this large. Hopefully it will be more that just a big Nexus 7 with a dock.

I'd much rather see it run Windows 8 than Android/RT. The need for dual-boot with Android is unnecessary when you have access to the library of x86 programs available on Windows. Going with Android means you're limited to ARM chips and Windows RT (which, other than Office, doesn't do much compared to Android). This could be the first device to really show off the functionality that Windows 8 added between Modern and Desktop mode.

And this better have a kickstand of some sort because an 18" tablet is useless if you can't prop it up by itself on a table (without the dock, of course).

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
An 18" isn't a tablet.

And really now, how hard can it be to launch a product with the latest updates on time?

Android 4.1.2/4.2.0/4.2.1. And even the last update was released a month ago ....

drchemist

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Why does all these windows RT machines with ARM processors cost more than $400. They all should be less than that. The atom is still faster and better with overall power management. If you don't believe go and check out the review on Anandtech that shows the Tegra 3 being more power hungry at every step and has less battery life than the atom versions. Intel is fighting a battle against a CPU that is for most cases with instructions and overall performance about 5+yrs behind. The only thing that made it big was the power management but intel has solved that and it has been a pain in their side trying to prove to everyone the myth is false with their new processors.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]drchemist[/nom]If you don't believe go and check out the review on Anandtech that shows the Tegra 3 being more power hungry at every step and has less battery life than the atom versions. Intel is fighting a battle against a CPU that is for most cases with instructions and overall performance about 5+yrs behind. The only thing that made it big was the power management but intel has solved that and it has been a pain in their side trying to prove to everyone the myth is false with their new processors.[/citation]
You mean that was proved with a test setup provided by Intel?

Besides, Clover Trail beating Tegra3 is not a big deal. Tegra3 is outdated, and was never a great SoC to begin with. Its sole saving grace was the companion core, which is not enabled under Windows RT. Also, Tegra's GPU kicked the Clover Trail's GPU's a**. Intel's methodology of pairing a fast CPU with a worthless GPU is behind the times.

Let me know when Intel beats a good, current-gen ARM SoC in power consumption and performance.

drchemist

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]You mean that was proved with a test setup provided by Intel?Besides, Clover Trail beating Tegra3 is not a big deal. Tegra3 is outdated, and was never a great SoC to begin with. Its sole saving grace was the companion core, which is not enabled under Windows RT. Also, Tegra's GPU kicked the Clover Trail's GPU's a**. Intel's methodology of pairing a fast CPU with a worthless GPU is behind the times.Let me know when Intel beats a good, current-gen ARM SoC in power consumption and performance.[/citation]
Intel is using the powervr sgx which is quite fast. The only problem is that it is using the older powervr. We are purely comparing cpu to cpu. Most atoms are single or dual core as oppose to quad core A9 which still can't beat intel on cpu tasks cpu for cpu. Every current tablet and phone that doesn't use NVidia pairs with either Mali, Adreno or PowerVR for graphics.

Plus what high end 3D gaming do you honestly play for more than a few minutes on a light weight on the go laptop, an ARM tablet or phone using android or iOS. They are time wasters. I'm sure the business guy who is sitting looking to finish some work while waiting in the terminal is going damn I wish I would have opted for the high end 3D card with less battery life to play that game. The only real games are done with true gaming platforms ( consoles, desktops, and heavy duty laptops). I don't see one person playing MMORPG and FPS games on phones complaining about how they can't play much. Think about it, would you put tons of power into a tablet's graphics when the most you will do is play angry birds or display photos on an HD display.

Please see the Atom Z2580 for the 1H2013 which will be 1.8 Ghz with 2 cores not one with current medfield and 14nm with trigate to reduce power even more, it's own Intel LTE low power chip and the PowerVR SGX 544MP2 overclocked which should put it at the same speed if not faster than the current iPhone 5 with the 543. Intel will destroy ARM in the long run, but I think the competition will help them start pushing for the mobile area.

alextheblue

Distinguished
This is a stupid rumor. Nothing has been "outed" in terms of specs. First of all, if it is ARM-based it can not run Windows 8. Period. It might dual boot WinRT and Android. Also an A9? No way. 2013 is almost here, they would never release a new fancy 18" AIO/Tablet (AIblet? TabIO?) with anything less than fast A-15 class cores.[citation][nom]drchemist[/nom]Why does all these windows RT machines with ARM processors cost more than $400. They all should be less than that. The atom is still faster and better with overall power management. If you don't believe go and check out the review on Anandtech that shows the Tegra 3 being more power hungry at every step and has less battery life than the atom versions. Intel is fighting a battle against a CPU that is for most cases with instructions and overall performance about 5+yrs behind. The only thing that made it big was the power management but intel has solved that and it has been a pain in their side trying to prove to everyone the myth is false with their new processors.[/citation]The Atom also has inferior graphics, by a significant margin. Other than that, you are correct. Of course Tegra 3 is a year old and built on TSMC's 40nm LPG node. I think that has more to do with it than any other factor, really. I'm not a big fan of Tegra, myself. It has always been an affordable "gets the job done" solution more than anything. However, with that said, Tegra 4 is just around the corner and initial offerings are supposed to be ~6 times faster (built on the 28nm HPL node initially) than Tegra 3.

Also, I don't feel that WinRT and ARM-Windows software in general (Anandtech tested WinRT vs Win8) are as well-optimized as their tried-and-true x86 counterparts. Maybe part of that is just their history and compiler experience with x86. Plus Windows was never built with heterogeneous CPU cores in mind, so it doesn't make use of the Tegra 3 low-power 5th core (companion core) for idle and near-idle power improvements. Essentially it is wasted die space on WinRT (for now? forever?).

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]drchemist[/nom]Intel is using the powervr sgx which is quite fast. The only problem is that it is using the older powervr. We are purely comparing cpu to cpu. Most atoms are single or dual core as oppose to quad core A9 which still can't beat intel on cpu tasks cpu for cpu. Every current tablet and phone that doesn't use NVidia pairs with either Mali, Adreno or PowerVR for graphics. Plus what high end 3D gaming do you honestly play for more than a few minutes on a light weight on the go laptop, an ARM tablet or phone using android or iOS. They are time wasters. I'm sure the business guy who is sitting looking to finish some work while waiting in the terminal is going damn I wish I would have opted for the high end 3D card with less battery life to play that game. The only real games are done with true gaming platforms ( consoles, desktops, and heavy duty laptops). I don't see one person playing MMORPG and FPS games on phones complaining about how they can't play much. Think about it, would you put tons of power into a tablet's graphics when the most you will do is play angry birds or display photos on an HD display.Please see the Atom Z2580 for the 1H2013 which will be 1.8 Ghz with 2 cores not one with current medfield and 14nm with trigate to reduce power even more, it's own Intel LTE low power chip and the PowerVR SGX 544MP2 overclocked which should put it at the same speed if not faster than the current iPhone 5 with the 543. Intel will destroy ARM in the long run, but I think the competition will help them start pushing for the mobile area.[/citation]That doesn't negate his point. I'm a fan of PowerVR designs, but Intel is using their older designs as usual. The SGX 545 is not good enough at this point. So they have a fast CPU and a GPU that is simply not good enough, despite the aggressive clockspeed. For future designs, they should be using either an SGX554MP4 like the iPad (at a minimum), or Series 6 even. But once again, they are using outdated PowerVR designs by the time the chip is released. I mean really, a 544MP2 should have been in their CURRENT design. By the time they release that, it will be way behind again.

drchemist

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]That doesn't negate his point. I'm a fan of PowerVR designs, but Intel is using their older designs as usual. The SGX 545 is not good enough at this point. So they have a fast CPU and a GPU that is simply not good enough, despite the aggressive clockspeed. For future designs, they should be using either an SGX554MP4 like the iPad (at a minimum), or Series 6 even. But once again, they are using outdated PowerVR designs by the time the chip is released. I mean really, a 544MP2 should have been in their CURRENT design. By the time they release that, it will be way behind again.[/citation]

I agree with that. They really need to get there faster and it's only overshadowing the cpu because the gpu is so far behind. The mobile market is all about spec numbers which was what used to be in the desktop cpu market, the latest and greatest only. I still think in the long run with their manufacturing capabilities and over 40 yrs of cpu research, they will surpass, but it needs to move quicker. ARM makes less than 5% of intels revenue so they shy away from mobile phones. They need to get in full blast or else it will be 10-30% in a few yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.