Sign in with
Your question

why buy top end graphics card???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 14, 2006 6:37:21 PM

why would anybody want to buy an expensive top end graphics card now while dx10 cards will be coming out soon?

will current dx9 cards be good enough to support vista and dx10? especially when games start using dx10?
September 14, 2006 6:47:26 PM

I doubt whether the gaming market under DX9 will vanish over night with the release of Vista. It will take some time before the transition is complete.

OR, maybe people buying now know that a.) vista just might be late again or b.) they live for today and leave what comes with the release of Vista to when the time is at hand.... I'm quite keen on Vista, but it ain't ruling my life nor my addictive hobby.
September 14, 2006 7:14:22 PM

Quote:

Bragging rights.
Related resources
September 14, 2006 7:15:19 PM

Quote:

Bragging rights.
Not always. Sometimes you need a top-end card to play games.

It's also personal preference as to what monitor and resolutions you play at, and this impacts the video card purchase.
September 14, 2006 7:18:13 PM

It's called MONEY, MONEY, MONEY. Did I mention MONEY. If I had the dough, I'd be getting an MSI X1900XTX since they are the best bang for the buck for high end cards at $284.

Personally, I'm waiting until the end of next year or the beginning of 2008 to let Vista (cough, cough) mature and DX10 video cards to work out any bugs as I plan to do a complete rebuild.

FYI, DX9 cards do not support DX10. If you play a DX10 game on a DX9 video card, the game should just revert to using DX9. Just like you can play a DX7 or DX8 game on DX9 but the game will not be in DX9 mode, only DX8 or DX7 as the game was designed in.

Though, if I remember correctly DX10 cards will no longer play DX7 or DX8. But don't quote me on this one.
September 14, 2006 7:23:55 PM

I know, I don't care what some bozo somewhere thinks of me.
September 14, 2006 7:29:09 PM

I bought mine about 6 months ago and paid $500 for it and loved it then and love it now I will probably keep it for another 6 months to a year and if someone buys it now, it will be plenty good enough for another year and the prices arent to bad, so I could see why because just because direct x 10 is comming out I wont be getting vista for about another year, which at that time i might buy another high end card or possibly a mid ranged card that will be better than mine and will be good to go. I will probably change most of my system at that time as well, but I always look at it as, if I want it now, then get it now...there is no sense in trying to future proof a comp, because it cant happen and if u always wait for new hardware, then u will be waiting forever as it will always be comming out!

Best,

3Ball
September 14, 2006 7:35:50 PM

definatley bragging rights anyway i agree with wating for DX10 cards, i heard that they have completely redesigned the whole of DX and it is completely new but many people say thay will release DX9D at same time??this would prolong the life of DX9 graphics cards for a while
September 14, 2006 7:43:00 PM

Quote:
why would anybody want to buy an expensive top end graphics card now while dx10 cards will be coming out soon?

will current dx9 cards be good enough to support vista and dx10? especially when games start using dx10?

Well DX10 cards supposedly come out end of this year, maybe before. The cards only run on Vista, and the Expected date for it, is January 30th. So if you have the cash, people do buy a top end card. Also like prozac said, some people need those top end cards for certain games and resolutions.
September 14, 2006 7:43:25 PM

I'm waiting for DX11.
It'll be here soon...
September 14, 2006 7:49:24 PM

Quote:

Since the slant for new technology has become more slanted recently, wich means that there will be smaller improvements on exsisting technology then there were in the past (2000-2005 > 2006-2010), i would assume that the current high-end cards will take longer to become obsolete then cards of former series' have, however we are reaching an important mile-stone in technology history with DX10 soon and so we will probably see a somewhat significant increase in performance beetween the latest DX9 cards and the upcoming DX10 cards, not because of technological differences, but because of the DX10 software wich will bring about some overwhealming graphics, and wich the DX10 cards will have better support for.

But it is also true that in the hardware market it is almost always a "good" time to buy because whatever u buy will become "more" obsolete very quickly no matter what.

Now u could argue that now, when we are so close to DX10 and the new line of cards coming out, wich will not have immidiate successors and will mark an important mile-stone, it would not be a good time to buy any card since it will only be a DX9 card and with the hardware improvements that will come with a new series of graphics cards it will probably be best to wait for them.
But do we really know when these cards will be coming out? Nvidia was set to release it's 8 series DX10 graphics cards in September, followed shortly by ATI, but now that we see that its already the middle of September and Nvidia has yet to release their 2 new 7 series cards - the 7950 GT and the 7900 GTO, we can clearly assume that they will not release their cards before 2007, because it requires at least several months beetween series' to see a new series of graphics cards, unlike the move from an x8xx card to a x9xx card wich takes far less time.
Not to mention, that the DX9 cards currently out will not be so much worse thent he DX10 cards "soon" to be coming out, and will still support DX10, even though not fully but we have no idea what that means.

And the biggest plus of all, is the prices. The prices are already extremely low for the 7 series and the X1K series and they will only be getting lower once DX10 is out, maybe for a good reason, i mean who wants DX9 when DX10 is out, but maybe we will, who knows.. i mean can u imagine a 200$ X1900XT (on sale with re-bate)? Thats insane.
September 14, 2006 8:00:35 PM

Quote:
I'm waiting for DX11.
It'll be here soon...

It may be here soon but when thats out there'll be something else worth waiting for i would wait untill DX 10 comes out then get one if i were you. i'm also not to sure how oftern new releases of DX come out me grown up only knowin bout 9 and very little about 8 and i cant remember when DX9 was released so it was probable rather a while ago
September 14, 2006 8:11:16 PM

Actually, DX10 has taken it's sweet time getting here, but thats probably only because of the improvements and variations in DX9.0 that have been over the years - DX9.0a, DX9.0b, DX9.0c, DX9.0L etc. But DX8.0 also has these upgrades, even though all it had was DX8.0a and DX8.1.

DX8.0 was released on September 30th, 2000.
DX9.0 was released on December 24th, 2002.
DX10 will be released in 2007.
September 14, 2006 8:21:01 PM

ah cool thanks for that well 5 years waiting should better be worth it. I want Crysis! just out of interes what other games are to be released with DX10 wen it gets released
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2006 8:23:17 PM

Quote:

Because there are games out there now that stress even the top cards. And who knows how long we will have to wait for a DX10 card. If someone wants to compare G80 to R600 before buying(smart move), they will be waiting into next year.

Want the best Oblivion expereince, you need a X1900XT or even CF 2 of them. COD2 also requires a beast of a card. If someone spent $750 on a 24" LCD with native 1920x1200 resolution, at the minimum they need a single high end card to play all the current games at their native resolution, especially if we talk about enabling eye candy. Anyway, there are loads of reason to buy now including cheap prices on high end cards like the X1900XT and XTX.
September 14, 2006 8:23:43 PM

If you are always waiting for the next big thing from M$, Ati, NV, or any other manufacturer, you become a slave to their timetable.

Free yourself !!!

Buy a Mid Range 7900 GS or X1900GT and play until they get everything worked out.
There’s always going to be a bigger, faster, more powerful computer out there…..
September 14, 2006 8:26:41 PM

X1950 isn't "mid-range"....
September 14, 2006 8:39:35 PM

maybe he's found a plce where there the same price ??? me wants to know
September 14, 2006 8:44:59 PM

Quote:
did he just compare a x1950 to a 7900GS 8O now thats fanboyism.

X1950 PRO and 7900 GS are what hes talking abt.

Man, ppl here sure do suck. Dosent anyone here know anything?
September 14, 2006 9:13:05 PM

Quote:

Why would anyone buy a top end card now? Because they have the money to do it and they want to do it. As for DX10, it only works for Vista. But when will Vista really come out, and which of the versions will have to be bought in order to really use all the features of DX10? Maybe the $400 version? If I had a need for a better card right now, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I don't have that need. though, because I have a good card at the moment.

I bought my machine last winter with the expectation that Vista would be out in spring. Guess what didn't happen? Wish I had gone ahead with XP64 Pro now, instead of XP 32. I had bought a cheap video card thinking to upgrade quickly to a DX10 card. Since Vista didn't happen, I bought a watercooled X1900 XTX. I couldn't blame anyone who decided to upgrade to a top end card now, because after all, will Microsoft keep thier timetable for next spring, or not? If you have a game that needs a top end card and you want to play it, then its better to go ahead and buy the card rather than waiting.

The current cards will support Vista without problem. They just won't support all the features of DX10. Some of the newest cards may support some of the features of DX10, just not all. Either case, it will be years before the game companies stop supporting DX9 cards. They wouldn't be so stupid as to ignor a huge customer base that doesn't have Vista/DX10. So a new DX9 card will have a decent lifespan no matter what.

Sounds to me you're being very defensive of why you don't want to buy, or can't afford, a new card. To that end, you're putting down anyone who does buy one as being stupid, while you are smart in your eyes. Guess what, the world doesn't revolve around you and your wishes. People will do what they want to do, and its their right to do so.
September 14, 2006 9:13:15 PM

Quote:
coming from you the ageia fanboy that makes me laugh and i have learned on these forums never to assume anything.

haha, you think you are smart or know ****, now thats funny.

Did u call me an Aegia fanboy? Thats a stupid scam, and i would never buy it.

Yeh, i am smart. I know more abt graphics card then most of the ppl here, and i should. I have been studying them for a long time.

You laugh at me saying that i have a lot of knowledge, but did u ever think maybe i do know what im talking abt? No, because ur an idiot.
Can u prove u know anything?
September 14, 2006 9:16:14 PM

Quote:

Can you?
September 14, 2006 9:28:27 PM

The only reasons to buy bleeding edge anything in technology hardware are 1. Bragging Rights or 2. the very rare occasion that you absolutely need bleeding edge hardware to be able to do what you want to do right NOW.

Bleeding edge ussually have bugs, bleeding edge ussually isn't much faster then what came out prior to it (it hasn't be optimized yet, but sometimes there are breakthroughs with entirely new architecture), bleeding edge will give you some of the least bang/buck of any hardware choice you could make.

When it comes to GFX cards it makes even less sense. GFX cards are insanely easy to upgrade. 1-4 screws and 10 minutes later you can swap the thing out. That's the strength of the PC market that has lead it to dominate even when it sometimes lags behind competing products for performance and value. You can easily swap out and mix-n-match components. And when it comes to GFX cards "easily" means "really, really easy". You're not having to undo clips, carefully handle something with pins, reapply thermal grease, reinstall the OS or etc. You yank the card out and put the new one in. 2 more minutes to load the new drivers and you're back to gaming.

Games are rarely released that require bleeding edge technology. If the game is having performance issues they ussually they spend more time working on optimizing their code and waiting for better hardware so that people can actually play the game when it's released. If you absolutely must play poorly-coded games on the day they are released perhaps you can justify $500 for a GFX card, but you'd still be better off waiting for that game to be released and just buy the new GFX card at the same time as the game. Processors, motherboards, system drives; that's another story. They are a pain to upgrade. GFX card = teh easy.

In summury: It's just too easy to upgrade your GFX card, there are few reasons to go out of your way to buy a GFX card that you think will last you for a long time if you have any kind of a budget. Get one that is good enough for now, buy a newer one when it doesn't cut it anymore.

On the flip side: Why are people so excited about Vista and DX10? They aren't going to obsolete anything anytime soon. I really don't get why a bunch of supposedly informed geeks are so hyped up about it (feel free to enlighten me if I'm missing something; what amazingly good things are they supposed to give us that justifies so many people reccomending buying an extra gig of ram now and buying DX10 cards as soon as they come out???). If you wanna buy bleeding edge GFX card now don't worry about DX10 or Vista raining on your parade, just go for it. The first DX10 apps and cards will probably be buggy anyway.
September 14, 2006 10:41:12 PM

Quote:
Yeh, i am smart. I know more abt graphics card then most of the ppl here, and i should. I have been studying them for a long time.

You laugh at me saying that i have a lot of knowledge, but did u ever think maybe i do know what im talking abt? No, because ur an idiot.
Can you please explain to me why Nvidia cards are unable to use antialiasing with OpenEXR FP16, while ATI cards can? Also, could you please explain to be the difference between a vertex shader and a pixel shader, and possibly pixel pipelines vs. ROPs?
Thanks. :wink:
a b U Graphics card
September 14, 2006 11:06:37 PM

gettem guys :D 
September 14, 2006 11:31:14 PM

Quote:
coming from you the ageia fanboy that makes me laugh and i have learned on these forums never to assume anything.

haha, you think you are smart or know ****, now thats funny.

Did u call me an Aegia fanboy? Thats a stupid scam, and i would never buy it.

You make it soooo easy. You've been making a complete a** out of yourself today. You'd better stop while you've got some digna....oh wait... never mind.
September 15, 2006 6:31:12 PM

I agree that you can't "future proof" a system. That's the name of the game.

Since there's a lot of new stuff around the corner, I personally think for people on a limited budget or building a brand new system that waiting several months for DX10 is no big deal.

Now, if one has money to burn, then I say go for it and build a new system. As you can't have any fun without currently having something. And I'm sure for these people that buying a DX10 card when it comes out won't hurt the good ol' pocket book anyway.

Different strokes for different folks.
!